PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Introducing kicker Josh Gable.... might this be Gostowski's competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it wasn't for the videos showing he was real I would have sworn Reiss was trying to write a Sid Finch article.

80yd FG...what a leg

Training camp this year maybe as exciting as the regular season. If there were ever a year that HBO would be willing to offer the kings ransom if there were ever a year that HBO would be willing to offer the kings ransom (perhaps BB gets a cameo role in Game of Thrones??) for Hard Knocks, this is it.

Look at the story lines:
1. TB12 is God-like and our backup quarterback is capable of starting for most NFL teams.
2. The Survivor Island type competition at running back and WR
3. the Gronk show
4. The Nate Solder family storyline and offense of line development. Scar needs his own 30minute segment.
5. The Malcolm Butler situation and our all time richest contract for a CB/Gilmore
6. The small school YSU defensive and trying to make an impact with her pass rush.
7. The trick shot kicker and Gost's struggles. 8. How special our special teams are.
9. The coaches and Ernie could fill up an entire episode.

It won't ever happen...but it would be awesome.

Training camp this year maybe as exciting as the regular season. If there were ever a year that HBO would be willing to offer the kings ransom if there were ever a year that HBO would be willing to offer the kings ransom (perhaps BB gets a cameo role in Game of Thrones??) for Hard Knocks, this is it.

Look at the story lines:
1. TB12 is God-like and our backup quarterback is capable of starting for most NFL teams.
2. The Survivor Island type competition at running back and WR
3. the Gronk show
4. The Nate Solder family storyline and offense of line development. Scar needs his own 30minute segment.
5. The Malcolm Butler situation and our all time richest contract for a CB/Gilmore
6. The small school YSU defensive and trying to make an impact with her pass rush.
7. The trick shot kicker and Gost's struggles. 8. How special our special teams are.
9. The coaches and Ernie could fill up an entire episode.

It won't ever happen...but it would be awesome.

Surprised Kraft doesn't do it on his own. I am sure people would eat it up and they would have total control over content.

Interesting story by Mike Reiss, with video highlights included

Patriots to take a look at trick-shot kicker with unusual story

CelebRookie18Danza.JPG

Surprised Kraft doesn't do it on his own. I am sure people would eat it up and they would have total control over content.
Great idea. I wonder if there's something deep in the fine print of the Owners Agreement that prohibits him from doing something like that...

I wonder if the one where he drops the ball on the ground, lifts it into the air off his ankle and then puts it through the uprights meets the requirements for a Drop Kick?

Great idea. I wonder if there's something deep in the fine print of the Owners Agreement that prohibits him from doing something like that...

Hmm, could there be something in the fine print that keeps Kraft from opening up the inner workings of Patriots camp to 24/7 media scrutiny? Maybe...

Bill Belichick

;)

I wonder if the one where he drops the ball on the ground, lifts it into the air off his ankle and then puts it through the uprights meets the requirements for a Drop Kick?

I think it does and I think it should be attempted against the Ravens just for the Harbaby moment.

2016 NFL Rulebook | NFL Football Operations

Penalty: For a punt, drop kick, or placekick that is kicked from beyond the line of scrimmage or not from scrimmage: Loss of 10 yards from the spot of the kick.

Note 1: This is not considered illegally kicking the ball.

Note 2: The penalty for a punt, drop kick, or placekick from beyond the line is to be enforced from the spot where the ball is punted or kicked when the player’s entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage. This includes either when the player is airborne or touching the ground.

Note 3: A second kick from behind the line of scrimmage is legal provided the ball has not crossed the line.

Last edited:
Interesting but the height of those kicks is not going to cut it.

How about instead of a trick shot kicker we get one that can just kick regular shots with regularity?

How about instead of a trick shot kicker we get one that can just kick regular shots with regularity?
"The goal posts are closer together in indoor football than in the NFL, and Gable was named Special Teams Player of the Week in late March when he went 7-of-7 on extra points and converted both of his field-goal attempts."

Stupid question: on a FG, is it legal to have a player run downfield as a receiver and just squib it to him for a TD? I feel like that'd be okay as long as it traveled 10 yards, and this kid has serious ball control.

Call me, Bill.

Edit: kinda like these, only more wide open.

Last edited:
His name is Gable, not Cable.

And FWIW his team released and re-signed him this month.

Stupid question: on a FG, is it legal to have a player run downfield as a receiver and just squib it to him for a TD? I feel like that'd be okay as long as it traveled 10 yards, and this kid has serious ball control.

As long as no one on the kicking team crosses the line of the spot of the kick before the ball is kicked it'd be perfectly legal.

However, on any kickoff the receiving team can call for a fair catch if they do it before the ball hits the ground (this is the main reason why onside kicks are almost always designed to hit the ground immediately and then bounce up) which would put a serious crimp in this scheme.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
Interesting but the height of those kicks is not going to cut it.
I'm sure Joe Judge and BB saw the same clips that Reiss published.
I doubt they'd waste their time if they didn't think he might cut it.
My concern is whether he can make those kicks through a wall of 300 pound trees. They'll need about 30 minutes on the Practice field to get that answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes