PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting defensive comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all for us flying under the radar and letting the mediots ignore such revealing insights as they crown the Jags D as the best ever.

and Andy - thanks a lot for such refreshing cold facts. :)

People should be talking about the Pats Defense and the remarkable job that Patricia and his staff have done this year..

Fortunately the D backfield has pretty much stayed intact throughout the year, an interlude for Rowe, but overall that have kept up their end of the bargain.. many of us thought that after Hightower went down we were doooooomed.. then Van Noy went down for a bit.... somehow the defensive coaches and players made all of this work. Kudos to all of them.

This.

In another thread a poster suggested the patriots have the better defense in the afccg.

Sounded interesting so I looked at some numbers. I randomly picked mid season. So the stats are game 9 through now, meaning 9 games for the patriots and 10 for Jacksonville and it is VERY interesting.

Points?
Patriots 14.5 per game
Jags. 19.6 per game

Yards?
Patriots 308.8
Jags. 309.6
Who would have thought that? Patriots are allowing fewer yards per game than Jacksonville.

Passing yds allowed
Patriots 206.4
Jags. 206.2

Rushing yds allowed
Patriots. 102.4
Jags 103.4

But the jags are sacksonville and that ferocious 55 sack pass rush will dominate the game right? Wait.
Patriots. 34 sacks in 9 games
Jags. 24 sacks in 10 games.

Jacksonville has more takeaways 21/9 but that doesn’t mean more than a 5 ppg difference.

Maybe people should be talking about the patriots defense.

AJ Thanx for this. I've been saying this ever since Pat's D started gettin it together and that wasn't even with Gilmore in line up and it was just a matter of time until they got to be familiar with each other and Patricia's schemes. Pats's D I believe were holding opponents to 16 pts or less and still maybe avg that. I saw your numbers as time went on but not in detail, cool you bring this up as we know mediot's* nfl shows* are all over how our offense stacks up with Jag's D, pushinh that agenda and narrative when in fact they disregard ours when question should be how does Bortles and O stack up against us especially after our front 7's solid game.

I was replying to Bob's last post about historical playoff performance by the Pats. I wasn't disagreeing with your overall premise. Of the playoff teams the Jags were last in SOV and tied for last in SOS. There's a lot of misleading stats about them. I still think they're dangerous if they get pressure up the middle and turnovers.
Ok.
Anyone is dangerous if they get pressure but the numbers show that other than against cupcakes they don’t get as much as people want you to believe.
Turnovers of course change everything but a big reason this team us what it is, is that they don’t turn it over.

Helps to keep the PPG in your favor when Brady doesn't turn the ball over and give a team the ball on a short field.

You can't say the say for Jacksonville how much better would their PPG be if Bortles didn't turn the ball over a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe