PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting comp for N'Keal Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the good news is that, should you take my advice and use the one bullet and somehow survive (which, considering what you have kicking around up there, is a distinct possibility) two things will remain true: 1) Your cutdowns can’t possibly get much worse than this, and 2) your posts would only get a little less coherent. Seriously, give a shot. No pun intended. You literally have nothing to lose.

You actually had to think to yourself, "Gosh, I really love Breaking Bad, and I want to let everybody know just how much!". Do yourself a favor...go outside and just scream a declaration about how much you truly love a television program. Come back inside...delete the photo, and join us all back in manhood.

I just watched highlights of AJ Brown....wow. He looks so much better than Harry I don’t understand what our scouts missed in Brown. Brown is crazy good at getting open, he’s freakishly strong, amazing YAC, and he can run away from people...

With all the talk of "getting separation", remember that Harry's specialty is body control, boxing-out and making tough catches.
  • Harry caught 53.2 percent of his contested targets at Arizona State, which was the second-highest percentage among receivers in [the 2019] draft class.
  • At the combine, his bench press was 98.8 percentile and his weight was 96.9 percentile for a WR.
  • In 23 rushing attempts in college, he averaged 6.3 yds/rush and scored 3 TDs.
He's a strong WR/TE hybrid type with the ability to make contested catches who also provides potential versaility in the running game.

Obviously developing release/route technique is important (I was frustrated by his route running last year too), but I think having a QB who will give him a chance to make catches in traffic - especially in the red zone - is critical as well.

Source
Source

The most concerning stat about Harry was that he had 0.83 yards per route run (Meyers had 1.32). Renfrow, Brown, Samuel, and McLaurin were all above 2, with Brown in some rarefied air for rookies (2.67). Maybe he'll improve this year, maybe that was a factor of Brady not looking his way, who knows. Even DJ Chark was at 1.15 his rookie year. (Via Evan Silva from Rotoworld on Twitter)

EXH1aXeXQAEVwcA
That information alone isn't worth a lot without knowing either the total number of routes run per player, or at least the cut-off point for eligibility.

That information alone isn't worth a lot without knowing either the total number of routes run per player, or at least the cut-off point for eligibility.

It's naturally adjusted for the number of routes run. Brown ran just under 400 routes and Harry ran 126.

My biggest issue with this stat is, like any average, how sensitive it is to big gains. If Harry doesn't get interfered with on that one 50 yard throw against the Bengals or whatever, his average goes from 0.83 to a much less apocalyptic 1.23. AJ Brown had 6 catches over 50 yards, including one of 91 yards. Really you'd want to see some marker of skew on this, like I think there's something more impressive about someone who racks up a 2.5 yard per route run on a bunch of catches of 15-20 yards versus a small number of 50-90 yard catches which are probably subject to some level of regression on a weekly or even yearly basis.

Last edited:
It's naturally adjusted for the number of routes run. Brown ran just under 400 routes and Harry ran 126.

My biggest issue with this stat is, like any average, how sensitive it is to big gains. If Harry doesn't get interfered with on that one 50 yard throw against the Bengals or whatever, his average goes from 0.83 to a much less apocalyptic 1.23. AJ Brown had 6 catches over 50 yards, including one of 91 yards. Really you'd want to see some marker of skew on this, like I think there's something more impressive about someone who racks up a 2.5 yard per route run on a bunch of catches of 15-20 yards versus a small number of 50-90 yard catches which are probably subject to some level of regression on a weekly or even yearly basis.

Oh stop it. Go watch film of AJ Brown and tell me he doesn’t look so much better than NKeal Harry. It’s like night and day.

Getting agility lessons from anyone that close to Indy Clots-stank Dwayne Allen = Fail.

agreed, can Harry train with a WR who actually possessed speed?

With all the talk of "getting separation", remember that Harry's specialty is body control, boxing-out and making tough catches.
  • Harry caught 53.2 percent of his contested targets at Arizona State, which was the second-highest percentage among receivers in [the 2019] draft class.
  • At the combine, his bench press was 98.8 percentile and his weight was 96.9 percentile for a WR.
  • In 23 rushing attempts in college, he averaged 6.3 yds/rush and scored 3 TDs.
He's a strong WR/TE hybrid type with the ability to make contested catches who also provides potential versaility in the running game.

Obviously developing release/route technique is important (I was frustrated by his route running last year too), but I think having a QB who will give him a chance to make catches in traffic - especially in the red zone - is critical as well.

Source
Source

Literally the least important things in a receiver. So he can bench press, is heavy, and can run after catch. Can he actually run routes? Does he have high awareness? Can he get open ?? Harry is a bust like Chad Jackson because McDaniels focuses on the absolute wrong things to focus on in drafting a WR.

Oh stop it. Go watch film of AJ Brown and tell me he doesn’t look so much better than NKeal Harry. It’s like night and day.

I was the one who posted the stat originally and said it put Brown in rarefied air, just pointing out that there's some nuance to the stat. I know nuance is tough on a board where analysis must be reducible to "X is good" and "Y is bad" but here we are.

Literally the least important things in a receiver. So he can bench press, is heavy, and can run after catch. Can he actually run routes? Does he have high awareness? Can he get open ?? Harry is a bust like Chad Jackson because McDaniels focuses on the absolute wrong things to focus on in drafting a WR.

Or other McDaniels busts like Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker?

We all have Chad Jackson PTSD, I get it, but it doesn't have to be this way man.

I was the one who posted the stat originally and said it put Brown in rarefied air, just pointing out that there's some nuance to the stat. I know nuance is tough on a board where analysis must be reducible to "X is good" and "Y is bad" but here we are.

Not saying you’re wrong, but what does film suggest?

AJ Brown is unbelievably strong, a huge YAC guy, runs very good routes, and can run away from people.

Harry has great body control and athleticism for his size, flashed YAC ability, but he is terribly slow, can’t separate, and is not a good route runner

Or other McDaniels busts like Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker?

We all have Chad Jackson PTSD, I get it, but it doesn't have to be this way man.

what does McDaniels focus on?

You didn't think this one through, did you?

Yeah, I really did, as it points out that relying on such stats as these isn't really telling anyone much at this point. A WR can't catch a ball that's not thrown to him. Having Henry running on a team like the Titans is probably good for a receiver, yes, regarding YPC?

Mecole Hardman being on the field with Kelcee and Hill probably helps him, especially in an offense where the QB hasn't gotten to the "I don't trust him" point of his career.

I haven't changed my opinion at all since right after Antonio Brown was canned that a big part of the offensive woes had to do with Brady's shutting down receivers, rather publicly. I have no idea if Harry will be worthy of his draft pick, or f Meyers is a legitimate NFL receiver or not.

What am pretty confident about is that all these other grass-is-greener guys probably wouldn't have fared any better on the Patriots than Harry or Meyers.

And FTR, I wanted Deebo Samuel or Brown n the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots