PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inactives Next Week ... and the Week After

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutie2phelan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
It would be mighty unlike BB to treat the next two games as bye weeks ... and play mostly the end of the bench.But ... given the age of many of our stalwarts ... and the many extra games they've put in these recent playoffs ... i would be surprised if he didn't judiciously issue one-week passes to a bunch of battle-tested veterans.

Here is who i would hope to see as gameday, healthy inactives the next fortnight ... in any combination:

Brady ... Flutie ... yes, Matt Cassel should get a chance to play. Especially against Bollinger.

Dillon ... Faulk ... Pass and Heath should be able to handle the load, relieving #1 or #2.

Branch ... Givens ... Brown ... we've got the pass-catching depth.

Watson ... Graham ... both could use more rehab.

Mankins ... Neal ... have been playing every game. Mruc, Yates, Ash, and - hopefully! - Matt Light all could use the exercise.

Wilfork ... Warren ... let Hill, Wright, and Klecko try to earn spots on next year's roster.

McGinest ... Vrabel ... should take a siesta while we warm up Chad Brown and Beisel for playoff relief duty.

Wilson deserves a break ... but i would rather have the duct-tape secondary continue playing intact, developing more cohesion and communication.

This is different from merely playing half a game - which could be an alternative approach to resting 'em up. This means not practising during the week ... and not even dressing Monday night or Sunday. One synthetic bye week for those core guys who haven't already missed major time this season.

I would rest em THIS week against the Jets. Let em get a lot of rest and healing the bruises and then use the Miami game as a tuneup for the playoffs.

I bet BB plays Flutie for our last home game.

per Reiss:

TO PLAY OR NOT TO PLAY?: Belichick was asked how he can balance the ledger between resting some players vs. maintaining the team’s momentum over the final two games. Since the Patriots have clinched the AFC East title, he could potentially rest some players. “We’re treating this like a regular week,†Belichick said. “Put it in the headline, bold type: regular week. Players know that, staff knows it. That’s the balance. … To me, long term in this business is at the most one week. It’s a day at a time and one week. Right now that is our approach to the Jet game. … Maybe I’ll see it differently next week, I don’t knowâ€

I think the starters will come out for the first quarter, but that is the last we will see of most of them. I think the backups will get alot of playing time in the next two weeks. Especially if we are up by 10 points or more. The Jets game will be a low key game, but I don't expect the Phins to lay down and die, they are playing for self respect as they should be. I think that game will see the starters playing longer, just to keep momentum going for the WildCard game.

He's not going to sit players, outside of Kaczur, Watson, or Graham.

PERIOD.

If a player is not injured and can play- he'll play them. When the game is in hand, he'll pull some out. I don't see him doing it any other way.

pats1 said:
He's not going to sit players, outside of Kaczur, Watson, or Graham.

PERIOD.
That's what it sounds like from the quote in Reiss. I'm usually reciting the "in BB I Trust" mantra, but I wonder how smart he'll feel if a couple of guys go down in a meaningless game? I wonder how he'll feel if BRADY goes down?

I think he needs to strike a balance. Guys need to get a certain number of reps to stay sharp, but that needs to be balanced against the fact that the more plays a guy is on the field the more banged and bruised and worn down he gets and the more chances there are for an injury. That's why I think the smart move is to play it like preseason: play the starters for a couple of quarters, then pull them out. Never mind the final score.

PromisedLand said:
That's what it sounds like from the quote in Reiss. I'm usually reciting the "in BB I Trust" mantra, but I wonder how smart he'll feel if a couple of guys go down in a meaningless game? I wonder how he'll feel if BRADY goes down?

I think he needs to strike a balance. Guys need to get a certain number of reps to stay sharp, but that needs to be balanced against the fact that the more plays a guy is on the field the more banged and bruised and worn down he gets and the more chances there are for an injury. That's why I think the smart move is to play it like preseason: play the starters for a couple of quarters, then pull them out. Never mind the final score.

1. While I agree that risking injury is a big factor, injuries are part of the game and you can't play not to get injured.

You can try to strike a balance, as you say, but players wanna play!

Maybe you can sub late, when a game is in hand, but not for four quarters.

Forget the records - Monday Nights in the Meadowlands are never easy!

Neither will a season closing game vs. a "spolier-minded" Dolphins team and Nick Saban...

2. I lean more toward the intensity school of thought, which says, "If you're machine is rolling hot like the Pats are now, why mess with that?"

Just keep 'em all in there, firing away, and when the playoffs roll aorund, they will be primed and stoked.

Three things to watch:

1. Tony Dungy resting his players now that the "perfect season" has been washed away, but really because Tony just doesn't get it...

2. Belichcik NOT resting his players and bareling towards 11-5 at full throttle...

3. Should they meet, the Patriots rolling over the Colts in the playoffs, with a combined juggernaut of experience, enthusiasm and fully loaded ammo chambers after having played hot through the last two games of the regular season and the first game of the postseason...

ADPF

He may rest certain players (Dillon, Watson) but for the most part, I expect the starters to play MOST of both games. Personally, I would let Brady take the 1st snap of the MIA game (keeping streak intact) and have Flutie play the rest of the game.

I say he plays everybody this week against the Jets and then rests everybody against the Dolphins to make it like a bye week before the playoffs.

Willie55 said:
I say he plays everybody this week against the Jets and then rests everybody against the Dolphins to make it like a bye week before the playoffs.

Now, THAT'S a decent idea, except for my "full throttle" theory...

AND

The fact that I NEED THE PATS TO BEAT THE FISH!

Otherwise, I gotta listen to all my DolFan buddies all offseason down here in SoFla!

Fish are playing pretty well right now...we will need the "A" team to beat them!

ADPF

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:

The Colts went into the San Diego game flat, just like the Pats did against Miami last season - they hurt their RT when Merriman beat him up, Freeney got dinged up, and there was at least one other player who went off injured. BB wants to take an EMBARRASSED Patriot team into the playoffs with big chips on their shoulders, which means he can't sit people down and encourage complacency.

The Jets are in for another butt-whuppin. He may "rethink" his "one week at a time" next wk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back