IN FOCUS: Patriots 3rd Down Defense Through Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
IN FOCUS: Patriots 3rd Down Defense Through Week 1
By: Ian Logue

Here's a closer look at how the New England Patriots' defense performed on third down through week 1 of the 2012 NFL season....

The third down results were colored by their previous runing game failures which created third and long situations rather than third and short situations.

When you can crush the run, then it helps you in your subsequent pass defense. TheTitans completed three passes on third down that did not go for enough to make the first down.

OVERALL NUMBER OF 3RD DOWNS WITH 6 OR MORE YDS TO GO:
Total: 11 Situations
Results: 3 Passing first Downs, 1 Rushing first down, 1 Sack (With a turnover for a TD), 3 Incompletions

11 situations and 4 first downs is still too close to 40%, but I think they were over 40% last year. If that had been 4 first downs on 12-13 situations it would have gotten them down closer to 30%. I would think that is the goal? It's a big improvement if they can keep it down to 30%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back