PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Importance Of Preseason Games To the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're almost there. :) IMO, 2 games is plenty, especially if there are joint practices. What we need is more practice time during camp. And I don't think a 17 game season is a good idea.

There's some value in pre-season though:

1.) Ticket sales. Yes, the tickets are dirt cheap because season ticket holders are unloading them for anything they can get to subsidize what they spent for 10 tickets in total. Owners make their money regardless. It's 2 gate receipts a season...at Gillette that's about 120K people paying at least $100 per head or 12 million bucks. I think Bob Kraft likes that money.

2.) The 4 game pre-season is a negotiating chip for the owners and the players for the next CBA. Players might want less pre-season, but might have to give owners 18 games. So, I think it sticks around for a while...maybe a 3 game pre-season in the next CBA.

3.) The dress rehearsal aspect of it has a lot of value. Everybody gets to walk through their roles from the fans to stadium personnel to team personnel to players to announcers to TV/Radio/Media people to Traffic cops....

4.) It has some pass rush evaluation value. Sure the OT's might be third string and the QB is a journey man..but it is the first time players can hit a QB. Ditto for run blocking and/or any non-skill position trench play. During practices you get the feel that the trench guys are going 65-75% only...

5.) Belichick does allow his assistants to call plays during pre-season too.

6.) I like pre-season ball. The first three games at least...but yeah I think we should limit it to 3 games and ditch the HOF game or make the HOF have its game in PS week 2 or something. Week 1PS: Run out your 2nd/3rd stringers. Week 2PS: The dress rehearsal...have your starters play a half...vanilla schemes though. Week 3PS: Injured guys getting their reps in, bubble guys getting their shot to show up on ST's, and etc....then just start the season. That's just me....

I think that preseason game are of almost no value to the team, especially if they have joint practices with coaches that they can reasonably work with.

I see some value in that players who have been injured get some more reps.

For me, any advantage is outweighed by the possibility of injury. As many of us say each week, the goals of each preseason game is the same: no injuries, no injuries, no injuries.

I suppose there is one other use, to use the preseason games as Practice Squad tryouts. Of course, this applies just as much to the players from both teams.
Don't forget the value of preseason games in developing game day operations for the coaches as WELL as the players. You actually have to practice getting players on and off the field in game situations. You have to practice game day coaching responsibilities of everyone and how data gets integrated among the coaches and filtered to the players.
Even the training staff need some games to get all their procedures down pat.

Maybe you don't need 4 games to get this down, but you do need some. And if you want to get the number of preseason games down, you better be prepared to figure how how to replace the revenue each team gets for those games.

And as far as injuries go, when you get right down to it, most starters end up playing less than 4 quarters during the preseason (little to none in the first one. Maybe a quarter in the second. Up to 2 in the 3rd game, and PERHAPS a series or 2 in the last)

All that being said, I agree that these joint practices are GREAT. In fact I'd love to see 3 days of contact per week when they do then and do it 3-4 weeks of TC.

Now that I think on it how about this for a proposal. They start TC in mid July. During those 2 extra weeks there are no padded practices. The coaches during that time get a feel for their teams and install their basic offense and defenses, and familiarize everyone with the "language" of the team. Then each team will hold 4 weeks of joint practices each with 3 days of contact practices, . and 2 days of walk through's, and one day of a controlled scrimmage where situations and level of hitting can be controlled by the coaches better. THEN have 2 preseason games to work out game day operations and finalizing rosters battles

TC would last 8 weeks and all teams would likely be better prepared to start the season. Just a thought. I'm open to a compromise of 3 weeks of joint practices and a 7 week TC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots