PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we are fully healthy, who's the weakest link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I know it's way way too early, and there might be some injuries and other considerations by then, but I'm bored and can't sleep. So, assuming everyone is healthy and you have to make a decision NOW about which players to cut in order to make room for them, who would it be?

I'm thinking/guessing that D. Watson will be cut for Bostic and if he works out they might put D.Fletcher on IR since there won't be much room at LB anyway. So now we need 3 more spots for Stork, LaFell and Jones. DE And S makes sense since we have good depth there so I would cut Rufus (hopefully he would make it to the PS) and Wilson. And since Hooman is the 4th TE at the moment (and I never liked him anyway), he's a good bet to be the last cut.

Also, I find it hard to believe that Bradley Fletcher will be here much longer. Once we find some decent corner to trade for, Fletcher is gone.

Last edited:
There will be injuries, more signings and/or trades, and PS activations and waivers. Heck, isn't a Ventrone scheduled to make an appearance soon?

Corner number 2. And probably 3.
Agreed. Brad Fletcher has been a disaster, as many of us correctly predicted.

I would settle for the returns of a contrite Fonzie Dennard & a cheaper (NO must eat a lot of his contract)
Brandon Browner. I also really wish that Bill had traded with his buddy Chip for Brandon Boykin.

Dennard had his chances. Plural. He is what he is.
Browner, not good enough. We know what we had. Glad he cashed in, glad it wasn't here.

Dennard had his chances. Plural. He is what he is.
Browner, not good enough. We know what we had. Glad he cashed in, glad it wasn't here.

Dennard suffered a slew of injuries which likely impacted his ability to play his style of defense. Prior to those injuries, he was a legitimate NFL CB.

Dennard suffered a slew of injuries which likely impacted his ability to play his style of defense. Prior to those injuries, he was a legitimate NFL CB.
Jail time probably did not help Deannard's rehab either. And we know how BB feels about repeat offenders.

Fletcher.

1A would be Rob Ninkovich, although his playing time has thankfully decreased. I hope he pulls his head out of his ass soon.

Corner number 2. And probably 3.

I think you're answering a slightly different question than the OP intended -- he was talking about who's vulnerable to be bumped from the 53. But I like your question even better, so let's run with it. :)

IMO cornerback is clearly the weakest area of the roster, but the amazing thing to me is that it's virtually the ONLY weak point. Other positions that were considered major question marks in the offseason (OG, receiving RB, TE2, DT) now have surprising depth.

If you include the players expected to return from injury, where but CB are the Pats even missing respectable backups?

I think you're answering a slightly different question than the OP intended -- he was talking about who's vulnerable to be bumped from the 53. But I like your question even better, so let's run with it. :)

IMO cornerback is clearly the weakest area of the roster, but the amazing thing to me is that it's virtually the ONLY weak point. Other positions that were considered major question marks in the offseason (OG, receiving RB, TE2, DT) now have surprising depth.

If you include the players expected to return from injury, where but CB are the Pats even missing respectable backups?

S2 is also an issue. If they had a starter level player there, the others could fall in line as backups. Not having a starter level player there makes it an issue.

S2 is also an issue. If they had a starter level player there, the others could fall in line as backups. Not having a starter level player there makes it an issue.

That's certainly fair, though I'm increasingly unsure what a starting S2 is in the age of the 4-2-5 base.

That's certainly fair, though I'm increasingly unsure what a starting S2 is in the age of the 4-2-5 base.

Seems to me that it's going to vary depending upon the skill (and skillsets) of your S1 and the CBs.

An S1 who covers huge amounts of ground (McCourty/Thomas) + Revis + Browner = An S2 who's primarily going to be wanted down low as an enforcer and, essentially, an undersized LB.

An S1 who covers less ground + Lesser CBs = An S2 more in the mold of the S1, as a greater coverage split of the middle-deep area will be needed.

Or, with the notation that I think the Patriots need upgraded versions, Example 1 is for a Chung player, and Example 2 is for a Harmon player.

Last edited:
Speaking of Duwrong Harmon, he is the Aaron Dropson of the defense.

I gotta imagine Brad Fletcher is on his way out. I'd rather get Justin Coleman more reps and experience. Not to mention there is still Dax Swanson if need be. I may be alone on this, but I wouldn't mind finding a way to get Alfonzo Dennard back. Maybe if healthy and with his head out of his ass he will play like he did a couple years ago.

Along these lines I would note that Wilson was not dressed last week and Richards got his first snaps as S2. He showed up several times against the run as an in the box guy and made an effective play on that deep sideline route (although he was chasing the WR). For me it was enough to think he could get more snaps and hopefully displace Chung and Harmon (bad whiff). Time will tell here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News