PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brady wins a 5th ring before he retires, how long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If Brady wins a 5th ring before he retires, how long...

Do you think it'd realistically take for another QB to match his 5 rings and win 5 Superbowls?

Our lifetime?

Never?

Hard to say.... You need a good team.. argument could be made that Brady should have more than 4 or 5.. He has been so good for 17 years and likely more. Ben could have more. With a great team it's doable.

EDIT: Brady had 3 before he was 27. And he only got better. With those three in place he under achieved considering his greatness.

Brady's only equivalent in modern (70's or later) sports is Michael Jordan. In terms of individual and team excellence, there is no other comparison. If Brady got to 6 or 7 SB's I could call him clearly Jordan's superior, but short of that they are #1 and #2, in some order, on a 2-man list. They are on the level of Ali, Ruth, Russell, and Gretzky as superior pillars of excellence in their sports, not to be confused with the mere ranks of otherwise excellent players.

Everything's possible, but I feel comfortable saying there's a literally zero chance that someone plays as well as Tom has, as consistently as he has, for 15+ years (maybe 20 by the time it's over), while winning constantly. It's never happened before, really in any sport, so to say that it will never happen again doesn't seem like a stretch.

I would guess within 50 years but if the game goes more towards running QBs then never cause they will never be healthy and effective long enough.

Well here are two possibilities (of many):

1. Most NFL teams suck now so it could get worse allowing one team/QB with consistent management to win several in a decade or two;
2. NFL declines even more to a point that no one will care.

I'd be shocked if we see another Patriots type dynasty again considering the lay of the land in new NFL. First, the vast majority of NFL teams aren't operating with a long term view. BB, as frustrating as that sometimes is, doesn't shy away from the long game. Further, BB is likely the last of his kind (old time Eddie Shore hockey). On top of that, TB type passing skill-efficiency-dedication is probably a dying breed too (super rich, super celebrity approaching 40 yet is this insanely dedicated to his craft?? Wow).

The man in charge + the man in charge on the field + both on top of their crafts + in sync with each other = unlikely to be replicated in the Goodell age and beyond.

Besides if another team starts getting too good over, let's say, a 5 year period, won't the losers who keep Goodell in power get him to do something about it?

...I could call him clearly Jordan's superior...

I completely understand this is a Pats board, and posters will be Pat fanatics. Happens on all fan forums.

Even with that said, and allowing for extreme homerism, the words above should never be spoken or written again for as long as humans exist.

Perhaps if humans evolve to some superior species. Then maybe, just maybe, one of those super humans could be on Jordan's level.

If Brady wins 5 rings I don't think it will be broken in a 25 year olds life time. The Roster turn over and the constant adapting new players to your system.. its so hard to win consistently and the only reason why the Pats never went through a so called re building period is because TB carried average teams to divisional titles every year. Thats the main reason anyway, obviously Bills coaching and drafting end of round picks year in and year out has been fantastic over all.

So your going to stop watching the patriots just like that? Life goes on after Brady and Belichick. I'm a die hard patriots fan until death

Most likely than not ;)

Goodell has destroyed football for me. I used to watch every single game whether the pats were playing or not. Now, i think i have better things to do with my time. Football is not compelling anymore, especially after Brady and Belichick.

I completely understand this is a Pats board, and posters will be Pat fanatics. Happens on all fan forums.

Even with that said, and allowing for extreme homerism, the words above should never be spoken or written again for as long as humans exist.

Perhaps if humans evolve to some superior species. Then maybe, just maybe, one of those super humans could be on Jordan's level.
Eh, Jets Fan lol

I'm 35. Of my lifetime, Brady and Jordan are the ultimate in athletic success. Jordan is unquestionably (to I, Gronk) the GOAT in his sport. Brady is the same in his sport. And Brady is still going. He could do it - at top-shelf, prime-level - for TWENTY YEARS - by the time all is said and done. No one - NO ONE - has ever done that. In the end...the love you make is equal to the love you make. And in the end...Tom Brady will be the greatest team athlete that has ever lived. That's how it is. And just to make sure you knew, he won more Super Bowls than anyone and married the richest supermodel that ever lived.

the love you make is equal to the love you make. And in the end...
OT: Just listened to Abbey Road a week or two ago. It has to be the greatest album of all time. Even if you didn't agree, you're likely to have it in your top few.

Brady could win 4 more SBs and it still wouldn't matter. He's going to play until he isn't good anymore.

Eh, Jets Fan lol

I'm 35. Of my lifetime, Brady and Jordan are the ultimate in athletic success. Jordan is unquestionably (to I, Gronk) the GOAT in his sport. Brady is the same in his sport. And Brady is still going. He could do it - at top-shelf, prime-level - for TWENTY YEARS - by the time all is said and done. No one - NO ONE - has ever done that. In the end...the love you make is equal to the love you make. And in the end...Tom Brady will be the greatest team athlete that has ever lived. That's how it is. And just to make sure you knew, he won more Super Bowls than anyone and married the richest supermodel that ever lived.

And just for reference I'm 37.

Don't shoot the messenger here, I'm just stating public opinion. My opinion doesn't matter.

If you polled all fans and experts, Brady isn't even the undisputed #1 QB. Let alone the best football player. Actually he'd probably rank an average of #3 QB. And he's obviously still playing, which always sways votes in a current player's favor.

Then add in the fact that football is easily the most "team" of any of the team sports, and a football player will most likely never compete with the top basketball or hockey players for greatest team athlete.

Heck, as of now, I'm pretty sure Belichick would get more votes as greatest coach of all time in any sport.

Realistically there's no way a team has the greatest coach and QB/player of all time while "only" winning 4 or 5 championships.

I'll never stop watching the patriots until I die. Despite the fact we will never witness another Belichick Brady in franchise history...there will be a lot more success in this franchise when those two go. There will be more super owls. Who knows, but we may get some all time great players 20-30 years from now that help us win 1-2 championships. No one will ever match Bb and Brady but we could have some great players down the road.

If you polled all fans and experts, Brady isn't even the undisputed #1 QB. Let alone the best football player. Actually he'd probably rank an average of #3 QB.

I can appreciate your overall stance regarding Jordan, as that is a matter of opinion and you'd make a strong case. I'm not sure if I'd necessarily agree, but that is irrelevant.

That said, I don't know what the hell you're smoking or where you've been for the past 15+ years, but there's no way that "he'd probably rank an average of #3 QB." He's been in the most SBs of anyone, the most conference championship games, is tied for the most SB wins, already holds the record for most postseason wins ever, won the SB MVP three times, won the league MVP undisputed in 2007, and holds too many records to even name.

Most importantly, this was all done during the salary cap and free agency period. Who could you possibly think of that would come close to Brady's accomplishments? Maybe Joe Montana, but there's no one else. Guys like Peyton Manning who only have a ring or two don't belong anywhere near this discussion, particularly with the way that he won his 2nd championship as one of the poorest QBs in the entire league.

Don't shoot the messenger here, I'm just stating public opinion. My opinion doesn't matter.

If you polled all fans and experts, Brady isn't even the undisputed #1 QB. Let alone the best football player. Actually he'd probably rank an average of #3 QB. And he's obviously still playing, which always sways votes in a current player's favor.

Then add in the fact that football is easily the most "team" of any of the team sports, and a football player will most likely never compete with the top basketball or hockey players for greatest team athlete.

Heck, as of now, I'm pretty sure Belichick would get more votes as greatest coach of all time in any sport.

Realistically there's no way a team has the greatest coach and QB/player of all time while "only" winning 4 or 5 championships.
Only 4 or 5 championships?
If they win a 5th that'd factually be unheard of in this era, but okay.Brady is the GOAT and he's proving it on the field at 39 years old. Guy is unreal and is a cut above the best which even Buffalo Bills fan forum can admit.

I can appreciate your overall stance regarding Jordan, as that is a matter of opinion and you'd make a strong case. I'm not sure if I'd necessarily agree, but that is irrelevant.

That said, I don't know what the hell you're smoking or where you've been for the past 15+ years, but there's no way that "he'd probably rank an average of #3 QB." He's been in the most SBs of anyone, the most conference championship games, is tied for the most SB wins, already holds the record for most postseason wins ever, won the SB MVP three times, won the league MVP undisputed in 2007, and holds too many records to even name.

Most importantly, this was all done during the salary cap and free agency period. Who could you possibly think of that would come close to Brady's accomplishments? Maybe Joe Montana, but there's no one else. Guys like Peyton Manning who only have a ring or two don't belong anywhere near this discussion, particularly with the way that he won his 2nd championship as one of the poorest QBs in the entire league.

Only 4 or 5 championships?
If they win a 5th that'd factually be unheard of in this era, but okay.Brady is the GOAT and he's proving it on the field at 39 years old. Guy is unreal and is a cut above the best which even Buffalo Bills fan forum can admit.

Again, I'm not saying that's my opinion. I actually prefer to leave current players out of any rankings. It's too easy to weigh their pluses/minuses too much I think. Imo, you should wait at least 5 years after retirement to consider player's all time ranking. Preferably longer.

However it's not hard to guage public opinion now. Just Google. ha, and of course the first result I got has Brady ranked #1. Guess the source... NESN. o_O

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to knock the Pats in any way. I did just say Belichick may be the best coach ever.

Last edited:

When you are playing in arguably the biggest team sport and are consistently in the conversation for being the greatest in the history of the sport most reliant on other players, it means a god awful lot to how incredible of a player you are.

In my opinion, standing out that much in a supremely team sport, means more than a sport dominated by individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe