PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Bill Belichick is done, here’s who could replace him in New England

This is such a lame argument.

It's much easier for a QB to join a team with 12 Pro Bowlers than for a coach/GM to rebuild a team when everyone leaves it.

Think about it this way: if Belichick had gone to Tampa to coach the Bucs and Brady stayed in New England with the talent situation in 2020, who wins?
Two WRs on that team who had 1500+ the year before...and Brady brought in Gronk, AB, and Fournette.

And they just won the division with Mayfield.

how anyone can doubt this is a great example of denial of facts
How anyone can think this displays gross ignorance of what it takes to put together championship football teams. If all it took was a great QB then Marino, Manning, and Rodgers would have 15 rings between them.

What bugs me is:
Bill had ultimate control and say while here. He has no one to blame. He is the ye or ne on ALL roster related issues.

Brady took the patriots culture to TB and they won. Has that ever been done before? Seriously asking
You want me to knock Brady? He's the GOAT. I love him. Why is he (the 3rd guy) to do it? Because he's great.

(By the way, Peyton Manning, Craig Morton and Jim Plunkett also did it; Kurt Warner almost did it in Arizona).

But that doesn't change the question I'm asking either.

Not enough people here are giving credit to the ways that an old team like the 2014-2019 Patriots conduct business in order to squeeze out a few more Super Bowls before everyone retires. I mean, we expended so many draft picks on vets, from Mohamed Sanu, Antonio Brown, Michael Bennett, Demaryious Thomas, Josh Gordon, Trent Brown, Brandin Cooks, Eric Rowe, Akiem Hicks, Legarette Blount, we traded for a heap of vets in order to stay on top and squeeze a few more Super Bowl trips. We did made very bad picks with Harry and Easley, etc., but at the same time we got dinged badly by Deflategate and were always picking at the end of the round.

They overspent in 2018 and 2019 and took a cap hit in 2020.

When the Rams adopted the same strategy the Patriots did, no one blinked an eye. Everyone commended them. It's only the Patriots that get knocked for doing the same exact strategy.

You want me to knock Brady? He's the GOAT. I love him.

But that doesn't change the question I'm asking either.

Not enough people here are giving credit to the ways that an old team like the 2014-2019 Patriots conduct business in order to squeeze out a few more Super Bowls before everyone retires. I mean, we expended so many draft picks on vets, from Mohamed Sanu, Antonio Brown, Michael Bennett, Demaryious Thomas, Josh Gordon, Trent Brown, Brandin Cooks, Eric Rowe, Akiem Hicks, Legarette Blount, we traded for a heap of vets in order to stay on top and squeeze a few more Super Bowl trips. We did made very bad picks with Harry and Easley, etc., but at the same time we got dinged badly by Deflategate and were always picking at the end of the round.

They overspent in 2018 and 2019 and took a cap hit in 2020.

When the Rams adopted the same strategy the Patriots did, no one blinked an eye. Everyone commended them. It's only the Patriots that get knocked for doing the same exact strategy.
I'm not in disagreement with you. I'm just trying to understand how someone as regarded as Bill with so much power and freedom. How does the roster erode like this? The rams success isn't even in the same stratosphere as ours. The moral is all great coaches need great players, all great players need great coaches no if and or buts about it. Period!

Mayo is probably the odds on favorite. I wouldn't discount Flores. But if you told me that Kraft would want to make a splash and bring in Jim Harbaugh, I'd believe that too. This will be interesting.

I'm not in disagreement with you. I'm just trying to understand how someone as regarded as Bill with so much power and freedom. How does the roster erode like this? The rams success isn't even in the same stratosphere as ours. The moral is all great coaches need great players, all great players need great coaches no if and or buts about it. Period!
I'm comparing the Patriots of those years to the Rams in the sense that both teams sold the future in order to win. All those draft picks given up by both teams to bring in vets.

Both teams won Super Bowls with that approach.

But then when 53 new players join the team after Mac joined in 2021, and you only have a few bit role players left from the glory years (Andrews, Slater, and Wise who didn't even play back then), that's a total rebuild.

Belichick's strategy from 2021 was easy to see. We were woefully slow on defense. The Bills embarrassed us in the playoffs (no punts) not by throwing over us, but by running reverses and short passes. Van Noy, McCourty, Chung, Bentley!! could not do anything. Our CBs couldn't tackle (remember young Myles Bryant).

He had to rebuild the defense, which meant drafting BPAs on D where available (Barmore, Gonzalez) but also bringing in speed: Mack Wilson Jr., Peppers, Dugger, Marcus Jones, even Jennings is an undersized DE with speed.

Did he neglect the offense? No he drafted badly (Tyquan and Mac Jones) but he expended a lot of picks on that side. Especially on the OL, who are all relatively young: Onwenu, Sow, Andrews, Strange, Mafi.

He brought in a lot of FAs on O for big money, WRs and TEs.

I'd argue this is a smart and good way to build a team.

Unfortunately, the opportunities to bring in a #1 WR and a LT fell through (Tyquan instead of Pickens, the washout of the 2022 draft when it looked like a LT would be available).

I'm comparing the Patriots of those years to the Rams in the sense that both teams sold the future in order to win. All those draft picks given up by both teams to bring in vets.

Both teams won Super Bowls with that approach.

But then when 53 new players join the team after Mac joined in 2021, and you only have a few bit role players left from the glory years (Andrews, Slater, and Wise who didn't even play back then), that's a total rebuild.

Belichick's strategy from 2021 was easy to see. We were woefully slow on defense. The Bills embarrassed us in the playoffs (no punts) not by throwing over us, but by running reverses and short passes. Van Noy, McCourty, Chung, Bentley!! could not do anything. Our CBs couldn't tackle (remember young Myles Bryant).

He had to rebuild the defense, which meant drafting BPAs on D where available (Barmore, Gonzalez) but also bringing in speed: Mack Wilson Jr., Peppers, Dugger, Marcus Jones, even Jennings is an undersized DE with speed.

Did he neglect the offense? No he drafted badly (Tyquan and Mac Jones) but he expended a lot of picks on that side. Especially on the OL, who are all relatively young: Onwenu, Sow, Andrews, Strange, Mafi.

He brought in a lot of FAs on O for big money, WRs and TEs.

I'd argue this is a smart and good way to build a team.

Unfortunately, the opportunities to bring in a #1 WR and a LT fell through (Tyquan instead of Pickens, the washout of the 2022 draft when it looked like a LT would be available).
Agreed. The slow down on defense was apparent from about 2018.. guys got older, McCourty, Hightower, Jason McCourty. We needed to get younger and faster on defense and we are. I'd say defensively are far much less questioning than offense. Yes the draft bust really impact an organization. Funny how myles Bryant is now turned into one of the teams best CBs.. who'd ever thought! But I see you point.

Succession plans(ie mayo) rarely work.... Seifert worked because of the roster

Two WRs on that team who had 1500+ the year before...and Brady brought in Gronk, AB, and Fournette.

And they just won the division with Mayfield.
lol that’s like saying if BB wasn’t allowed to destroy the offensive talent level in Tampa Bay he could have won a Superbowl with them while conveniently forgetting that he ran the Patriots offensive talent into the ground with his terrible drafting and personnel management.

It’s a non sequitur nonsense argument by BB’s usual band of devoted defenders who still refuse to recognize reality. Plus if BB goes to Tampa Bay that means Brady stays in New England which further reduces their chances of winning without an elite QB.

i just scan the landscape and think....who is a better coach out there? We have the cream of the crop. There is something to be said for a new start but 'new-starting' just for the sake of a new start does not have a whole lot of logical sense. Why do we NOT take Bill back? From an administration standpoint, what non-coaching roles do we take away from BB (which ultimately he would have to agree with).

The players seem to like him. He seems to be gone but when ya take a step back and think about why and who could replace him...who replaces that knowledge and ability to simplify and put his players in good position. He rarely mismanages the clock or the situation.

Tough to think who would replace him really...

Shut the **** up about Brady vs. Belichick! It’s ruining every goddamn thread and you’re all just repeating the same tired ass **** that you’ve been repeating for years now. Aren’t you all tired of it? This thread is about who will replace Belichick. Bring something of substance to the conversation fellas. Damn!

i just scan the landscape and think....who is a better coach out there? We have the cream of the crop. There is something to be said for a new start but 'new-starting' just for the sake of a new start does not have a whole lot of logical sense. Why do we NOT take Bill back? From an administration standpoint, what non-coaching roles do we take away from BB (which ultimately he would have to agree with).

The players seem to like him. He seems to be gone but when ya take a step back and think about why and who could replace him...who replaces that knowledge and ability to simplify and put his players in good position. He rarely mismanages the clock or the situation.

Tough to think who would replace him really...
I understand how you feel the way you do but look around the league. New coaches are coming in all the time and making things happen. Look at Demeco (sp?) Ryan. Look at what McVay did. We can’t be afraid to move on when the time is right. If you don’t feel that right now is the right time, when would you call it, when he retires?

Shut the **** up about Brady vs. Belichick! It’s ruining every goddamn thread and you’re all just repeating the same tired ass **** that you’ve been repeating for years now. Aren’t you all tired of it? This thread is about who will replace Belichick. Bring something of substance to the conversation fellas. Damn!
Maybe if you ask nicely I will

lol that’s like saying if BB wasn’t allowed to destroy the offensive talent level in Tampa Bay he could have won a Superbowl with them while conveniently forgetting that he ran the Patriots offensive talent into the ground with his terrible drafting and personnel management.

It’s a non sequitur nonsense argument by BB’s usual band of devoted defenders who still refuse to recognize reality. Plus if BB goes to Tampa Bay that means Brady stays in New England which further reduces their chances of winning without an elite QB.
You need to think long and deep about what QBs do and what coaches do.

Brady wasn't concocting gameplans, Belichick wasn't throwing passes.

These are 2 different things.

I know this is back to basics type stuff, but it's evident you need it.

Last edited:
I understand how you feel the way you do but look around the league. New coaches are coming in all the time and making things happen. Look at Demeco (sp?) Ryan. Look at what McVay did. We can’t be afraid to move on when the time is right. If you don’t feel that right now is the right time, when would you call it, when he retires?
McVay ran into Belichick though and was stopped cold.

This is the thing. Belichick knows these offenses inside and out, backwards and forwards. That's why he stopped them.

McVay ran into Belichick though and was stopped cold.

This is the thing. Belichick knows these offenses inside and out, backwards and forwards. That's why he stopped them.
I thought we were talking now, and in the future.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back