PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thread this week PLEASE patfanken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelssps

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
@patfanken id love to read an idle thoughts of you have the time this week. I feel this is a good game to dissect (not only because I was listening to radio and didn’t manage to watch much of the game).

Running game turn around- what was different this week?

Brady in synch- what was different?

Defense gave up couple of big plays - where were the breakdowns?

Differences in playcalling and pony formation, etc. lots to talk about.

If you have the time would love to hear from you!

He hasn't been around for a bit...or I have missed him??

He's been here, but lightly. Sometimes the negativity requires distance.

When was his last login?

@patfanken id love to read an idle thoughts of you have the time this week. I feel this is a good game to dissect (not only because I was listening to radio and didn’t manage to watch much of the game).

Sorry, but I had to play in a poker tournament Saturday. I didn't know they would be playing on Saturday this year. I only saw snippets between hands, so no "idle thoughts" this week. Good thing the Pats won....because I didn't. ;)

Sorry, but I had to play in a poker tournament Saturday. I didn't know they would be playing on Saturday this year. I only saw snippets between hands, so no "idle thoughts" this week. Good thing the Pats won....because I didn't. ;)
I'll send you a tape, good luck in the next tournament, dont schedule one for AFC championship weekend

1)We played great & really controlled the poa (point of attack). Lots of bully ball, power/lead/OZ runs. What really had a + effect was the misdirection/motion in the backfield that caused them pause & bite.
There was also a noticeable difference in the way our RBs ran the ball. They put it on the Bills today. Sony & Rex weren't looking to fall forward or satisfied picking up a few yards. Lots of tough runs. I believe Alexander #57 was the player Rex bounced off of. He played it perfect & made a great read but went for the kill shot instead of really wrapping up. Rex showed great contact balance though. Also Roberts pounded the hell out of Milano I believe.

2)Brady looked very good & it definitely was an effect of the OL. I cant remember more than 2 plays where he was under real pressure. Might be forgetting but the OL played great. I didn't notice a ton of stunts, probably 5-6 blitz but nothing crazy to really manipulate some pressure. Buffalo's interior DL is very disciplined & usually has some success when they're called on but I didn't pick up on any of that today which didn't hurt 12.
His accuracy was on point today for sure. Not many "tough" passes but he was different QB in terms of accuracy from the past few games. Nothing deep but rather the patient, move the chains type passes. I don't think he attempted more than 1-2 deep passes all game. All short/intermediate stuff in the mof (middle of the field) & an effort to get the ball quick no matter what. It was definitely a theme. Brady wasn't standing there looking for **** to develop. For good reason to if he's hurt.

3)I'll have to watch again but I didn't see too many egregious breakdowns. On the TD to Brown I think DMC was a little too shallow. Dino/post route. Gilmore playing w outside leverage got beat/turned around as well. Just a great route by Brown tho & his speed is real.

Knox TD was also just a great play, execution & a dime from Allen. Tough play to defend. 11 personnel trips right which Allen looks at first before coming back to nub side to hit Knox. Again a dime from Allen.
I know we've ran a ton of similar looks in the past & even today.
Idk Allen looked at the trips side first but I believe he was always going to Knox. In general a concept like that whether its flood/levels (targets at short, intermediate, deep) or w/e it takes time to develop so you read the vertical first since its a faster developing route. I know O'B taught that to an extent. Vert first, horizontal 2nd. I think Allen wanted move/freeze DMC hence the look off to the trips side.

I actually thought Allen played well for where he is. I mean this kid was an absolute project coming out. Did not resemble a real NFL QB in many ways.

I talked abt how his feet would just stop moving at times leading to errant throws but today I didn't see that. Feet were firing for the most part. Found his hot read & when he found himself contorted his whip just made the play. His arm talent is up there with anyone. Made 2-3 unbelievable passes today including a cross-body while in the air. Just insane stuff you wouldn't dare ask or try. Both TDs to Knox & Brown he had big time pressure in front of him I believe.
Again he's a project but improved a lot from last year in ways that don't show up on the stat sheet. Need to be more consistent but he's a 2nd year project w big peaks & valleys. For those wondering year 2/3 are the important years in terms of development.

4)I remember bringing up the 2 back sets a few weeks ago, can't remember after which game but specifically Rex bc we need another quick option in the passing attack with 11 being the only real target.
Again I think we were just more physical than previous weeks. From our OL to the RB's. Esp in the 2nd half. Tough to not leave it out there with 11 playing duct taped together.
This was a game that our guys wanted. From practice/game planning to the actual effort. We had a plan & stuck to it. Quick passing game. Physical run game with misdirection to mess with the 2nd level defenders. Harrys sweep, motion. We need to keep that & work off it. PA to RBs/Roberts? PA to Harry off a fake sweep? Something is coming.

Another thing I noticed from the Pitt/Buff game was Buffalo made a big effort in chipping the edges to slow them down, give Allen more time from empty sets. Looked like the Pats pressure schemes played a role in not seeing those looks bc of how of many different ways we could send it. We used a delayed blitz & a cool package we've been using since last year. Basically a variation of something Florida runs. We run a few different ways but that pressure/drop back defenders really mess with a QBs ability to start/go through his progressions. Esp tough for a kid like Allen who was playing at Wyoming a few years ago & is now getting the kitchen sink thrown at him by Bill.

This was a great win. NEP had a plan, played together & were not getting pushed around. Both teams used this game as a measuring stick.

Bills want to dethrone us & prove to themselves they can hang with the big boys. NEP want to block out the noise (injuries, doubters, obviously haven't been played up to par) & show there's still some distance between them. Great game, great win.

1)We played great & really controlled the poa (point of attack). Lots of bully ball, power/lead/OZ runs. What really had a + effect was the misdirection/motion in the backfield that caused them pause & bite.
There was also a noticeable difference in the way our RBs ran the ball. They put it on the Bills today. Sony & Rex weren't looking to fall forward or satisfied picking up a few yards. Lots of tough runs. I believe Alexander #57 was the player Rex bounced off of. He played it perfect & made a great read but went for the kill shot instead of really wrapping up. Rex showed great contact balance though. Also Roberts pounded the hell out of Milano I believe.

2)Brady looked very good & it definitely was an effect of the OL. I cant remember more than 2 plays where he was under real pressure. Might be forgetting but the OL played great. I didn't notice a ton of stunts, probably 5-6 blitz but nothing crazy to really manipulate some pressure. Buffalo's interior DL is very disciplined & usually has some success when they're called on but I didn't pick up on any of that today which didn't hurt 12.
His accuracy was on point today for sure. Not many "tough" passes but he was different QB in terms of accuracy from the past few games. Nothing deep but rather the patient, move the chains type passes. I don't think he attempted more than 1-2 deep passes all game. All short/intermediate stuff in the mof (middle of the field) & an effort to get the ball quick no matter what. It was definitely a theme. Brady wasn't standing there looking for **** to develop. For good reason to if he's hurt.

3)I'll have to watch again but I didn't see too many egregious breakdowns. On the TD to Brown I think DMC was a little too shallow. Dino/post route. Gilmore playing w outside leverage got beat/turned around as well. Just a great route by Brown tho & his speed is real.

Knox TD was also just a great play, execution & a dime from Allen. Tough play to defend. 11 personnel trips right which Allen looks at first before coming back to nub side to hit Knox. Again a dime from Allen.
Idk Allen looked at the trips side first but I believe he was always going to Knox. In general a concept like that whether its flood/levels (targets at short, intermediate, deep) or w/e it takes time to develop so you read the vertical first since its a faster developing route. I know O'B taught that to an extent. Vert first, horizontal 2nd. I think Allen wanted move/freeze DMC hence the look off to the trips side.

I actually thought Allen played well for where he is. I mean this kid was an absolute project coming out. Did not resemble a real NFL QB in many ways.

I talked abt how his feet would just stop moving at times leading to errant throws but today I didn't see that. Feet were firing for the most part. Found his hot read & when he found himself contorted his whip just made the play. His arm talent is up there with anyone. Made 2-3 unbelievable passes today including a cross-body while in the air. Just insane stuff you wouldn't dare ask or try. Both TDs to Knox & Brown he had big time pressure in front of him I believe.
Again he's a project but improved a lot from last year in ways that don't show up on the stat sheet. Need to be more consistent but he's a 2nd year project w big peaks & valleys. For those wondering year 2/3 are the important years in terms of development.

4)I remember bringing up the 2 back sets a few weeks ago, can't remember after which game but specifically Rex bc we need another quick option in the passing attack with 11 being the only real target.
Again I think we were just more physical than previous weeks. From our OL to the RB's. Esp in the 2nd half. Tough to not leave it out there with 11 playing duct taped together.
This was a game that our guys wanted. From practice/game planning to the actual effort. We had a plan & stuck to it. Quick passing game. Physical run game with misdirection to mess with the 2nd level defenders. Harrys sweep, motion. We need to keep that & work off it. PA to RBs/Roberts? PA to Harry off a fake sweep? Something is coming.

Another thing I noticed from the Pitt/Buff game was Buffalo made a big effort in chipping the edges to slow them down, give Allen more time from empty sets. Looked like the Pats pressure schemes played a role in not seeing those looks bc of how of many different ways we could send it. We used a delayed blitz & a cool package we've been using since last year. Basically a variation of something Florida runs. We run a few different ways but that pressure/drop back defenders really mess with a QBs ability to start/go through his progressions. Esp tough for a kid like Allen who was playing at Wyoming a few years ago & is now getting the kitchen sink thrown at him by Bill.

This was a great win. NEP had a plan, played together & were not getting pushed around. Both teams used this game as a measuring stick.

Bills want to dethrone us & prove to themselves they can hang with the big boys. NEP want to block out the noise (injuries, doubters, obviously haven't been played up to par) & show there's still some distance between them. Great game, great win.

Ken this is great analysis but it's a lot less organized than your usual efforts with some really weird paragraph structure. Thanks though!

Ken this is great analysis but it's a lot less organized than your usual efforts with some really weird paragraph structure. Thanks though!
I'm not Ken & never went to college. Just a dumb townie :D

Yesterday's game was the most complete I have seen the Pats play in a while, all three phases complimented each other.. even a 51 yard fieldgoal (who would've thunk??)

No long passes from #12 but an effective passing attack, not many errant throws. The run game was at least a B+ against a good D. Elandon Robers (21) snaps in the O backfield a season high.

Gilmore allowed a TD to be scored against him, first of the year, but overall it was a great D effort.. Guy and Hightower were obvious..

Did not see much from Collins, he may have been "gutting" it out as he was on the injury report earlier in the week. McCourty, Chung and Van Noy played all 54 D snaps..

Joejuan Williams(29 snaps) was out there and it did not seem as though he was embarassing himself..

Jason McCourty(4 snaps) went down with another or the same groin injury...

Julian Edelman is one tought son of a gun...

One of the best games I have seen this season... on the edge of my seat for 60 minutes..

Last edited:
Excellent post, BGC!

The Pats really came to play in this one!

Brady's was surgical with accuracy we haven't seen in weeks!

After the first series started so well and ended so suddenly, I thought the Pats Offense might be a tad despondent, but it was all business after that. A different team, really! Even when Cannon went down, the O-Line didn't miss a beat! Against an excellent front seven, I might add.

Our Defense was superb again even with Jonathon Jones out. Gilmore, Jackson, Guy and Butler were lights out in this one.

Allen is a Specimen and a kid that is difficult to dislike! Very much improved from earlier this year! The 53 yard TD while scrambling backwards with pressure all over him was jaw-dropping.

How about that GAME-OVER fourth down stop at the line to gain! Allen was wrapped up ... BUT NO! ... a Herculean second effort dive to keep his team alive. Wow!

Great game ... great win!

BTW: Brady's play action fakes were unbelievable. This morning I am going to try to find at least two jockstraps that I left on the living room floor! :D:D

Poker over Patriots? Blasphemy!

Ken we need you back. It's a pleasure to read your sumnary and analysis.

I noticed a lack of respect from some posters, but please ignore the noise. You have more fans than not.

Good job.

Did the Pats run more screens than all season? Sure seemed like they did and that McD has been saving them up. Those will slow big mouth Kansas City down. McD called a great game IMO. Play action ruled the day and some plays were hard to follow who had the ball.Bills defense looked kinda toothless. No sacks.

I dont see a thing wrong with Bradys elbow. Ball had velocity and accuracy.

I can live with this tradeoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick