PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The "on to Indy" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of mixed emotions on this one. On one hand we've had enormous success against Andrew luck. But the problem with that is past results is no guarantee of future performance, That and the fact that the Colts looked nothing like the team we played over 2 months ago.

I originally feared the Bronco's more. Mostly because because of what I thought of their defensive line up. I actually would rather have faced Manning in the cold of Foxboro than Luck,. Manning is done. Even with the best set of skill players in the league, The Denver offense has become predictable and easily defendable by a competent D. The Colts showed exactly how that can be done. We would have done the same.

The Broncos went all in and got 2 #1 seeds out of the deal. But I don't see how they can keep this team together, and if its worth the expense to bring them all back only to be QB'd by someone as limited as Manning seemed to be at the end of the season. Elway bet and lost. He did a great job in putting this team together, and the team did reasonable well. How he will be ultimately judged as a GM is how he rebuilds it. BB is the master of building on the fly. Elway will get his chance to show what he can do.

Alright some quick opening thoughts on Indy just to start the discussion

1. Just like I said earlier, It's important we don't adopt a Felger-like attitude that this game is a walk over. This is a team that just scored 24 points ON THE ROAD against one of the top D's in the the league. A team that had a secondary that might have been better than ours, and a DL who had 2 elite pass rushers, which we currently don't have. Well if the Colts OL can shut down Ware and Miller, what can we hope for for Ninko and Jones. Just think about that before we all start ordering the food for your superbowl party. Because this might just be the tougher match up when you consider the difference of where they are at the QB position.

2. This could be called the Jones boys bowl where Chandler's brother Arthur will be joining him in Foxboro. Don't dismiss the importance of Arthur's return to the Colt line up to their resurgence of their defense at the end of the season, He is a big body that they needed badly and didn't have (IIRC) when the Colts and Pats last met.

3. Toler and Davis both have been playing very well. Brady feasted on the soft underbelly of the Ravens' secondary while he dodged the bullets of their DL. The pass rush might not be as dangerous this week, but the secondary will be much more dangerous and difficult to decode, There will be much more press man, especially in passing situations. The Colts aren't likely to allow the Pats all that cushion for most of this game like the Ravens did,.

4. On offense Luck has upped his game since his last meeting with the Pats. He is a lot less careless with the ball. His 2 picks yesterday were more like punts than critical and costly errors. Once again, Luck presents (much like Rodgers) that most difficult of problems for the Pats D, and elite thrower, who can hurt you with his legs.

If the Pats pass rush was anemic going after the relatively sedentary Joe Flacco, what are we likely to expect against a guy who we cannot afford to come at full speed. :eek:

5. Luck also showed he doesn't have the Manning kryptonite of playing outside in the cold. He was very efficient on the road, outdoors, in the cold on Sunday. Playing in Foxboro will be hard for him, but no tougher than Denver was,

6. On the plus side, the Colts don't seem to have much of a run threat, However I would opine that Forsett wasn't the main reason for that poor effort in the run game, it was the OL (with 2 unknown rookies) blowing gaping holes in the Pats defensive front that lead to all that yardage, If that kind of blocking occurs again, the Colts have the guys who can take advantage of it, just like we did with Gray.

7. Now lets take a look at us. We have a few injury issues to deal with, Its very unlikely we will see Stork back for this game. That will leave us with Josh Kline as our likely RG and Wendy as the C., The Colts aren't known for their rush, but somehow the did enough against one of the best pass protecting OL's in the league to move Peyton off his mark fairly consistently, and sack him twice..

We also have to deal with Browner's injury. He SAYS he's OK, but he was seen visibly limping in the locker room. We are going to need Browner's size this week. (more on that later.) So the Pats have 2 serious injury issues to deal with.

8. The Colt D kind of reminds me of our D back in 2011, even though it actually is a lot better personnel wise,. Outside of Davis and Toler, its kind of a no-name D that has bad stats, but is coming together and playing much better at the end of the season, It's easy to dismiss them as mediocre, but that would be a mistake,

9 Defensive strategy - Here are the questions. Who does Revis cover. How do you attack Allen and Fleener. How can you take TY out of the game,. A bigger question, how much press man can you actually afford to play, Here;'s the problem with playing a lot of press man. The Colts biggest run threat is Luck. When you play press man, you REALLY open up field to him gashing the Pats on the ground (this will also be the key question if we get to Seattle) Another big question should be how do we create pressure when we need it, Its pretty clear we can't do it consistently one on one,

These are question that should frame our discussion of defensive strategy this week. I think I have some answers but that will come later. To start, assuming Browner is back, maybe this this week to put him on one the TE's, especially if Reggie truly is done as it seems, Put Ryan/Arrington on him and allow Browner to go after one of the bigger receivers

10. Offensive strategy, Clearly the run game will have to play a bigger part in this game plan, Personally, I'd rather see us use more versatile formations than simply come out in a formation that screams run, or one that screams pass. I'm still lobbying for Josh to create an effective run scheme out of the shot gun. I know we've done it before,

Well its been 17 games, but maybe THIS will be Tim Wright's coming out party. ;)

Of course its a game we "should" win, but its certainly one that we CAN lose, especially if we come out as flat and uninspired as we did against Baltimore. The Colts are in a perfect position, They are playing with house money, while we will be universally expected to win. Kind of like us in the 2001 Superbowl. The long they stay in the game, the more confident they will become. The longer they stay in the game, the tighter WE will become. A fast start will ameliorate at lot of this, but that might he easier said than done,

......and so it begins,

Take Hilton out of the game the same way they did last time - bracket him with Arrington & a Safety.
Revis can have Moncrief (Wayne looks done at this point).

The only change the Colts really have from last time is Allen is healthy, he should pose a threat but outside of him the Colts Offense doesn't match up well against the Patriots defense at all.

Luck has shown to make dumb decisions and is prone to turning the ball over - you can't do that in a Championship game and expect to win.

On Offense if Fleming & Gray are healthy then it's easy, until they show they can stop the Patriots running game you run it down their throat all game long...or open up with hard play action and see just how hard they bite and leave Gronk wide open behind them.

Patriots win this by 2 scores minimum.

In their past 3 games, the Patriots have faced 3 of the toughest defensive lines in the league in the Ravens, Bills and Jets. Indy's DL should be a welcome change, and the return of a power running game should take a little of the pressure off a Stork-less OL.

The Pats pass rush has to be the saddest thing to watch these days. If the secondary ****s the bed it will be a long night for sure. However I dont think Indy's oline is as good as the ratbirds so we should be able to generate some pressure. On offense it should be death by RB and mainly blount trauma.

I'm not buying the Colts.........yesterday was all about the Broncos simply being unprepared to play the game......the Broncos believed they had one in the bag on a day that Manning was no longer a football player. the Broncos quit while the game was still winnable for them which was the complete opposite of what the pats approach to the ravens game was. when the pats decided to execute against the ravens, they closed the game out 21-3. the ravens game was an eye opener, and expect a full 60 minutes of execution against the colts

If the Pats come to play, the Colts have already lost this one big

I favor having the first drive be scripted, no huddle, from an extreme set. Vs. the Colts that would be a power set, preferably a power set in which everybody also has hands at least up to the Hooman level. I just wish I believed in Blount's or Gray's pass blocking on downs when the power guys get in a spread formation.

Sea Bass mauled Dumervil. Made him invisible. Solder did good on Suggs too. I counted 2 pressures by T-Fizzle. We'll get over 30 on them. Don't see our D having two off weeks in a row.

Wow, Ken. You were quicker than I thought with the timing of your post (I hope you haven't heard that before in a different context).

I'm going to watch the Indi/Denver and Indi/Pats game again so I may add more to this later.

One thing with Indi yesterday that surprised me was the amount of times they brought an extra rusher and manned up on the outside. It was obviously effective since it seemed they were daring Manning to take his shots downfield (amazing how far Manning has fallen) so something to think about this week.

A few other off the cuff points:

1. I really like Amendola against Butler and Gronk against Landry
2. I expect a more balanced deliberate attack on Offense; play action will be key
3. I expect the TE's of Indi to be a major part of gameplan. Chung will be in the spotlight.
4. I expect both teams will move the ball and red zone conversion rate will be the most telling stat.
5. Curious to see the gameday 46. Will they dress 8 Olinemen?

Your second point grabbed my attention Ken.

"...Chandler's brother Arthur will be joining him in Foxboro. Don't dismiss the importance of Arthur's return to the Colt line up to their resurgence of their defense at the end of the season, He is a big body that they needed badly and didn't have (IIRC) when the Colts and Pats last met."

Wonder what others think about it.

I am quite impressed with the Colts O last night against the Broncos. Took so much time off the clock in the fourth quarter; though they came up with only a FG on that drive and had to punt the next series (which ended abruptly with all three passes knocked away), they still were able to get so many first downs and put the game away.

What I find remarkable, we could play the rest of the playoffs getting zero benefit from the 2014 draft.

I am not pointing that out to bang on the draft, but how incredible this team has played despite getting no value from its cheapest resources. Cant remember a team ever having ZERO players play a playoff game from the previous draft. If Stork is healthy, that changes obviously, or if Fleming subs in for him, but that is about it.

If anything, it shows how strong an offseason the team had in free agency.

I would suspect that the Colts will do their homework and prepare to NOT have a repeat of the last game.

So if the Pats take Gray out of storage and try jumbo all run again and it doesn't work, I really hope they try something else.

If Hooman, Bolden and Amendola get balls again this week, that'll mean Tom is throwing to no less than six or seven different real targets which should be tough for anyone to defend.

I'm really worry about our defense, even if we beat indy i'll be afraid of whoever we end up facing.

I think a fair amount of why the Colts didn't look like the same team was that Manning was just so awful. Some of those throws he lobbed up there were, frankly, just sad. He was practically throwing the ball straight up in the air in a desperate attempt to get it more than 20 yards downfield.

That made things a bit easier for the Colts D. And Luck, while good, wasn't great. His QB rating for the game was almost identical to Manning's. He did manage that one clutch 8 minute drive for the FG that sealed the win though.

I think it can be said of all teams that earned a bye for the wild-card round - they all came out flat, or at least maladjusted to play-off speed. Those teams that did play the previous weekend came out with much more fire, no doubt because they were aware they had to overcome the home field disadvantage. Of the four home teams, Seattle seemed the least affected, although that could be more a measure of their opponent than their bye-week resilience. Rogers and GB offense didn't look themselves until after their half-time Snickers bars, in fact the presumptive MVP looked almost play-off Manningesque for most of the first half.

The Patriots had a split personality with the offense showing up in the first half, before Brady's interception plunged them back into temporary paralysis. The defense finally awoke but 2/3 of the game had passed them by. But at least they awoke, which is more than can be said for the Rip Van Broncos, who relieved the Panthers of being the worst team in the playoffs.

While an extra game with all the potential injuries is understandably undesirable, it would appear that the benefit of recuperation comes at the cost of deflating the teams tires when their battle tested opponents are raring to go.

All credit and respect to the Ravens, who played with heart and skill; that contest turned out to be the best and most exciting game of the weekend.

What I find remarkable, we could play the rest of the playoffs getting zero benefit from the 2014 draft.

I am not pointing that out to bang on the draft, but how incredible this team has played despite getting no value from its cheapest resources. Cant remember a team ever having ZERO players play a playoff game from the previous draft. If Stork is healthy, that changes obviously, or if Fleming subs in for him, but that is about it.

If anything, it shows how strong an offseason the team had in free agency.

We will have Stork back for the SB.

Fleming is not a C. However, in that we have one week to prepare, I think we will see Fleming in at RG, and not Kline. Of course that may be wishful thinking..

If, however, Fleming will be used as an extra lineman as he was in the first Colts game, then Kline will be the starting RG. Hopefully someone tells him he has to play the game of his life.

We will have Stork back for the SB.

Fleming is not a C. However, in that we have one week to prepare, I think we will see Fleming in at RG, and not Kline. Of course that may be wishful thinking..

If, however, Fleming will be used as an extra lineman as he was in the first Colts game, then Kline will be the starting RG. Hopefully someone tells him he has to play the game of his life.

I think we saw Kline against the Ravens instead of Fleming because:

1) Kline played well against the Ravens DL last time.
2) Our plan was to pass and Kline seems to be quite a bit better in pass protection than run blocking.
3) Fleming is probably not 100% (or even 80%) yet.

An extra week for Fleming to recover, a new opponent and a new game plan could make all of the difference.

Colts win yesterday only looks impressive if you ignore how Denver has been playing the last couple of months and simply looked at the big names they have. On paper, Denver should have been talented enough to go 19-0. In reality, their top players are well known for being soft and under performing in big games. Their D isn't even in the same class as ours. Neither is their passing game.

Colts are still a soft team. Not as soft as Denver, but soft nevertheless. They have no answer for Gronk. They've had no answer for our running game in the last two meetings.

We should win this one handily.

1. Just like I said earlier, It's important we don't adopt a Felger-like attitude that this game is a walk over. This is a team that just scored 24 points ON THE ROAD against one of the top D's in the the league. A team that had a secondary that might have been better than ours, and a DL who had 2 elite pass rushers, which we currently don't have. Well if the Colts OL can shut down Ware and Miller, what can we hope for for Ninko and Jones. Just think about that before we all start ordering the food for your superbowl party. Because this might just be the tougher match up when you consider the difference of where they are at the QB position.

This is as far as I got so far, but I wanted to reply, both to express my disappointment that there's something I agree with Felger on, and why I don't think Denver is a great indicator of there being any `new Indianapolis that's different then the one we saw.

John Fox seems to kinda' be bad.

Talib getting burned by Hilton all night seems like a good example of Fox not putting his players in a position to win. No half time adjustment, nothing changed in the 3rd quarter. Fox is probably gone for a reason, and his game planning seems to be subpar, which is probaly why the Broncos consistently lost to the good teams through out these last 3 regular seasons, while Peyton and Denver's offensive beat the bad ones.

Also, Gronk + Psycho Tom.

Last edited:
The Colts definitely look to be a team that has improved since we last met. I would also say (with the exception of Stork being hurt) that we have improved as well and are as healthy as we have been for a post season run in what seems like eons.

Still, I’m confident, but not saying this game will be easy. The Colts are a good team, with a good/young QB who is mobile and smart. They can put points on the board and present some very similar offensive challenges that our team presents, with the added pressure of having a mobile QB to defend as well. This somewhat limits our defense in that we either need a spy or containment-style rush. However, I feel that our overall talent of defense matches up well enough for them. They’ll score and move the ball, but our defense is also opportunistic and can make some game changing plays.

What should be scary for opposing defenses is what Brady now has to work with. We obviously have Gronk who is one of the best TEs to have played football in the last 20 years and outside of a guy like Kam Chancellor, there’s no single defensive player that can match up one on one and hope to compete for a full 60 minutes. But, Brady now has a WR set that while isn’t impressive as a group (meaning nobody can really scare you as an individual), they are all fairly interchangeable and can stress the same part of the defense or work in complementary fashion. Amendola has picked a great time to start shining (whatever the reason) and must be accounted for by the defense.

Probably an overly wordy way of saying pick your poison. You’re #1 CB might be better than our #1WR, but your #2CB might not match up on our #2 as well and our #3 is likely to be better than your #3 CB. The only piece on offense that seems to be more uniquely his own is Vereen (and LaFell to a lesser degree). Brady is the perfect QB as there aren’t many that can assess a field and find the right player. This allows for all targets to be eligible on a particular play.

I am honestly expecting this game to be a much better defensive effort. I think The D comes out on fire and holds Indy to 20 with maybe giving up garbage points late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3