PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "No playoffs for YOU" edition

So this is what the OTHER 31 cities who have NFL teams feel like. For the first time since 2000 the Pats will not have a winning season. For the first time since 2000 the Pats will not be in playoff contention on the last game of the season. This is new territory for all of us in this oddest of odd years we are living through. Maybe it took a global pandemic to push the Pats out of the NFL playoff picture, aaaand maybe it was just time for a reset. So in this edition I'd not only like to review the pluses and minuses of this game, I'd like to begin the process of looking down the road to this off season, and what it's like to go into April and not be picking up the crumbs at the bottom of every round. So lets begin...in no apparent order.

1. What sucked:

a. I have no idea what's happened to Cam Newton. I can only fathom that this was the "cliff" that Max Kellerman was predicting for Tommy, only it happened so very quickly for a former MVP QB who has simply taken too many shots over the years. By ALL reports, he works hard, and is a smart guy, but his footwork and inaccuracy isn't worthy of an NFL starting QB. And while he cracked the 200 yd mark, he constantly missed open receivers, often threw a pass 5 yds over the LOS when he had an open receiver 10 yds downfield. And when he finally DID hit an open receiver in stride vois la, it turned into a 34 yd gain. Who would have thought. Imagine what might have been if he'd thrown more of his completions to in stride receivers.

His pocket presence is again almost non-existent. His escapability doesn't exist. Even his running is more like lumbering FB than someone like Mahomes, Watson, or Allen. Cam was getting caught from behind by DLmen. That would have never happened in his prime years when he was out running LB's.

b. I don't know what Bill was asked in his post game comments, but I'm sure SOMEONE had to ask if Cam was going to start next week. I will be interested in know what he said, because I don't see the point in putting him out there again for more of the same. It is now time to give Jared Stidham his 2 week tryout to establish if there is any reason to think he can be a long term starter in this league. And I say this knowing that it is really unfair to judge any player over just a 2 week timeframe. But fair or not, it's only common sense to get some film on the kid and start thinking about what your QB strategy is going to be for next season. More on that later

c. Run Defense - Think about it. Our run defense gave up 250 yds rushing to the worst run offense in the LEAGUE! :eek: Bottom line THIS was the main reason the Pats lost this game, and I'm not exactly sure why it happened. This is the same basic front seven that has controlled run games that are a LOT better than the Dolphins this year. Could it be that the early loss of JBentley really left THAT much of a hole in the defense. And while I thought the same front seven did an excellent job containing and pressuring Tua, they really sucked at run defense.

d. After a string of some very strong games, Chase Winovich was almost blanked on the stat sheet (0 tackles and 1 QB hit)

e What disturbed me the most while watching the toothless Phins run rampant over our run defense was the fact that we never made the adjustments needed to stem the tide and FORCE Tua to throw the ball. I can't recall another game where they didn't EVENTUALLY start to slow down a great running attack. It was almost as ugly to watch as Cam play QB.

f. 2 stats that don't get a lot of play, but are of critical importance to establish why a team wins or loses are: 1. time of possession and 2 the difference is the number of offensive plays. The Pats ran 39 offensive plays. The Dolphins ran 62. :eek: VERY very hard to win games with that kind of disparity.

g. I hated seeing Stephan Gilmore going down with an injury that will likely cause him to miss the next 2 games. There has been a lot of speculation that this was likely Gilmore's last game. I for one will hate to see that happen. If this turns out to be an ACL or MCL injury perhaps his market price will drop enough for him to stay here. He's been worth every penny he's gotten from the Pats

f. Does anyone know if JJWilliams was a healthy scratch this week. If he was I am truly disappointed. He was a binky of mine after I saw him several times at camp his rookie year. I thought he showed well in limited action that year covering big Wide outs and TE's. This season it seems that he just can't find a place with JJones, JCJackson, MCourty, and Gilmore ahead of him at CB, and McCourty, Philips, and Dugger ahead of him at S. But if he was a healthy scratch today that means he's fallen behind some guy named Bryant that I didn't even know was on the team. Not good.

Ever the optimist, here is what I liked:

a. I felt that by and large our 2 rookie 6th round pick OT's held up very well this week. It certainly wasn't perfect, but for the most part they gave Cam plenty of time to throw the ball (even on 2 of his sacks) and blocked well enough to help Sony run at over 7 ypc.

Now I'm not certain when or if Wynn is coming back, but he was, by all accounts, our best OLman this season before he was hurt, but it bodes well for an already elite OL, that Owenu and Herron have shown so well, so early. Having a good OL can mitigate a lot of other issues. I can only see this OL being very good for a while.

b. Harris has done such a great job running the ball, we seem to have forgotten that Sony Michel was coming off his best game as a Patriot when he got hurt, and the only thing we can complain about him today is that he probably didn't get enough touches,

c. The growth of Jacoby Myers - He seems to be getting better all the time. Too bad about the fumble in this game, but still he seems to be getting open more often though I felt Cam went to him a couple of times (at least) when he had open people further down the field, yet threw it to Meyers.

d. Another guy who's shown continued improvement this season is Nick Folk. He has really gotten into a great rhythm right now. Every kick seems to be straight with none of those pesky hooks and slices we saw early this season which seemed to occur even when he made the kick. Lets be frank, he's probably our offensive MVP.

e. Our special teams in general have been excellent recently. Baily has been superb punting for both length and accuracy. The coverage has been great on KO coverage to the point where they are trying to force the receiving team to return the ball and daring them to get it past the 25. Gunner has gained almost an Edelman like swagger on his returns. He's both more aggressive and confident at this point of the season. Much better than earlier in the season.

3. OK now that this is out of the way, I'd like start with an opinion and a discussion on what we should do this off season.

a. It is my opinion that we AREN'T entering a period of mediocrity and finally cracking under the mind numbing forces of the NFL forced mediocrity system. I think we can be a strong contender for the playoffs as early as next season. Here' why,.

1. We will have a very strong position in cap space AND draft capital going into this PARTICULAR off season. It will be a year when the Pats will have relatively a lot of cap space in a year when there will be a good number of teams who will be in deep in Cap space hell if the $175MM cap limit that being projected comes to pass. That will mean the Pats will be in decent shape to both resign their own FA's, while also being able to sign significant FA's from other teams.

That $175MM cap projection will result in a VERY deep FA class. So deep that it will likely lower the price of some very good players. It SHOULD be a buyer's market with a lot of good deals coming out of this class.

2. When I look at this team I see a lot of strengths. We SHOULD have an elite OL next season. My expectation will be that the Pats will allow Joe Thuney to test FA, like they have done with a of their players. Some go and some come back. My gut says they will offer Thuney a slightly discounted deal to him and hope the buyers market will put their deal in the ball park. I think he'll be back. But even if he doesn't return, I think the development of Herron and Owenu will bode will.

I see strength at the RB position with Michell White and Harris leading a strong group

3. The secondary will also be strong next season even if Gilmore goes elsewhere. Jackson looks like he going to be annual a pro bowl CB Jones is an excellent slot guy who plays bigger than he is. Williams I HOPE will get a shot at the rotation if Gilmore leaves. I think Jason McCourty will be upgraded in FA.

I LOVE the combination of DMcCourty to go along with Phillips and Dugger at S.

4. Now areas that we need to improve on are pretty much known by everyone, We need a redo at WR. We need to add a proven TE and hope Assiasi and Keene develop. We need a big run stopper in the middle and go back to the 3-4 Bill really wants to run, Guy, Wise, and Cowart are all guys who would be better suited to be 3-4 DE's, and while you can use Butler in the middle on passing downs, you really need a true thumper over the nose of the C. If I were Bill, I'd identify the best FA NT out there and sign him. And if he's not out there in FA, then Draft him early

5 The LB corps will immediately improve with the addition of Dante Hightower next season, but I'd love to have a true sideline to sideline athletic ILB to balance the thumper that HIghtower/Bentley are. Winovich, Simon and Uche will make a fine rotation of OLB;s

6. WR is a position that really needs speed. THAT would be first criteria when I'm looking for a WR. We need to draft a WR in one of the first 3 rounds and a one in FA But in the end, speed and explosiveness is what we need to surround our next QB We already have some guys with size.

7. Now to the elephant in the room. What should be our QB strategy.

a. Lets assume that Bill has already decided that Stidham is NOT the guy and we have to start from Scratch. That will mean that EVERY guy who has started more than a dozen games will immediately get linked to the Pats either in a trade or in FA. Get ready for that.

b. I've been going over some of the QB's who will be coming out this year an2 by all accounts there are only 2 "sure things" in this draft and they will go 1 and 2. Even if the Pats drop the next 2 games, they don't have the draft capital to move up that far AND the 2 teams that will be picking in those spots are NOT going to pass on those 2 guys. For that reason I don't want to draft a QB in any of the first 3 rounds. Just too risky. I don't see anyone beyond those top 2 guys that I'd risk a first round pick on. HOWEVER this is a guy that interests me that was rated #7 on the Walters site. Jamie Newman. This kid has good size and speed 6'4-230/4.6), and was supposed to be Georgia's QB this season, but opted out. This is a guy with a lot of raw talent that will slip in the draft because he didn't play this season. I'd love to pick him up in the 4th or the end of the 3rd. EVERY QB you draft, even ones in the first round, is a shot in the dark, so why not take a true shot in the dark with a kid like Newman.

c. Keep the culture - I want them to win these next 2 games, though Buffalo is playing REALLY well. And Josh Allen is proof that players DO improve over time in the NFL and first impressions are NOT always what you get over time. People forget that Brady WAS just a game manager until the end of the 2003 season IMHO.

BTW- those who will want the Pats to blow the Jets game to not only get a better draft position, but to keep the Jets from getting Lawrence. But what about this scenario. The Jets draft Lawrence and the Pats acquire Sam Darnold and turn into a winning QB here in NE. Now that's a scenario the Joker would appreciate. ;)

Well we know the needs. Now we have to put some names to the positions we need to get to get back to the playoffs NEXT year.
So. basically, you want to find a QB and backup QB in free agency, and draft a developmental QB.

We need a #1 QB, a #2 QB and a #3 QB. What is your plan? You don't like the free agents. Do you expect to start a rooki3 3rd rounder backed by a past or future 4th rounder.

We were a COMPETENT NFL quarterback away from the playoffs this year. Not having one next year might help, but not near enough to be a real threat in the division, never mind the conference.
=========
I think that we should start Stidham. I don't care if it ruins his confidence and career. I don't think that he is the future. But, by starting Stidham, folks will have a better context with regard to how badly we need a #1 and #2 QB to be competitive in 2021 and in 2022.

j.) Quarterback....this is our biggest problem by FAR. I think I have now given up on hope for Cam Newton...I like him and am happy with him here....but like the OP said...no pocket awareness...and a clumsy throwing motion.... yes a part of it is personnel related...if he had better talent around him...but we need a QB for the future and it isn't Cam even if he's relatively young. Not sure what we do here...but I agree with the OP...no on trading up for the big QB names....I'd rather sit pat in round 1 and take the best available player...play it safe. Free agency? I don't like anyone available very much...and they are available for a reason.

We need a #1 QB, a #2 QB and a #3 QB. What is your plan? You don't like the free agents. Do you expect to start a rooki3 3rd rounder backed by a past or future 4th rounder.

We were a COMPETENT NFL quarterback away from the playoffs this year. Not having one next year might help, but not near enough to be a real threat in the division, never mind the conference.
=========
I think that we should start Stidham. I don't care if it ruins his confidence and career. I don't think that he is the future. But, by starting Stidham, folks will have a better context with regard to how badly we need a #1 and #2 QB to be competitive in 2021 and in 2022.

I disagree on the need for a #2/#3. My attitude with QB's is that it's the #1 or bust...maybe I am spoiled by Brady's 20 years of availability....the man walked off the field with a torn ACL....

Anyhow, we need a #1...once we have one the rest will follow. It very much may be that we will decide to do the Cam experiment again next year....watching Cam this year...I am pretty confident that with a full off-season, some clean up of mechanics, and upgrade at the skill positions...we can contend with Cam. But yeah...I'd like a better passer if possible...it's still a passing league and I don't have a lot of confidence in Cam on 3rd and longs.

There are only two ways to upgrade at QB....FA or the Draft...in the former...there is a reason why the guy is available (i.e. you don't see Mahomes being a FA) and the draft is full of unknowns....we will just have to keep drafting QB's until we hit on one...meanwhile...bring in a vet or stick with Cam or bring in a vet to compete with Cam.

I don't know why BB will not start Stiddy. I agree that it is time...maybe BB doesn't want to do it on MNF, but no excuse why he shouldn't in week 17 against the 1 win Jets at home.

2009 was the bottom out of the first part of the dynasty. I know people will say they rebuilt in one year because the 2010 team went 14-2 but really that team way overachieved and so did the SB team the next year. The offense rebuilt on the fly adding Gronk and Hernandez to a team that already had the Goat, Welker and JE11. The defensive rebuild really wasn't complete until 2014 when Hightower, Jones and Collins came of age and they brought in Revis and Browner.

To be fair those teams only carried over four players who would win a championship. Brady, VW, Mayo and Slater and the later two were only drafted in 08.

They drafted players who would contribute heavily to championships (eliminating Hernandez and others)

09: Chung, JE11
10: McCorty, Gronkowski
11: Solder, Vereen, Cannon
12: Jones, Hightower, Ebner
13: Collins, Ryan, Harmon
14: Stork, White, Fleming (JG who turned into picks that helped extend thing)

That's 5 years of solid drafts where you also added in FA the likes of Nink, LaFell, Bolden (UDFA), Blount, Devlin (UDFA), Amendola, Revis, Browner, Branch, Aarington, Butler (UDFA), Ayers, Casillias, Siliga and I'm probably missing a few.

My point is you don't have the Goat to carry you though the 5 years of a rebuild. Hell you don't even have a serviceable option at quarterback. I highly expect that it's going to take 5 years and that's the NFL reality not the bubble Patriots fans have been wrapped in for 2 decades. And that's if they're able to hit on the draft again like they did 09-14 (15 was pretty good too) and nail your FA acquisitions.

So who will still be on the roster from this team 5 years from now?

Probably nobody. Dugger is probably the best bet. Owenu is possible. Myers, maybe but as a 3rd or 4th receiver. Uche could be but we have no idea what he is yet.

A guy like Harris, ya maybe. However 5 years in the life of an NFL running back is an eternity. Winovich? Doubtful. Although he flashes I think Bill hates that he freelances ala Collins.

Guys like Mason, Jackson, Wynn, Andrews and others even if they are around will be on the north side of 30. That doesn't mean they can't be solid contributors. I'm merely setting context of where they'll be in their careers.

I'm not trying to be negative. Merely setting expectations and hunkering down so I can enjoy the rebuild without the expectations of the dynasty which was a once in a lifetime convergence I never thought to see being a Pats fan since 1976. Fans of other teams like the Bills can buy all the billboards they want because I got to live the dream of every fan. They can only hope to get a portion of that joy.

Nice work summarizing.
That's a real excellent run of good drafts from 09-12 until idiot McD came back.

=========
It's up to BB

It’s amazing how many people are happy in here with a 6-8 record. Blame cam! No one blames belichick and his horrendous drafting of offense the past 5 years

Patience and happiness are two very different emotions.

Someone else will win the SB from 2019-2021. That's OK. Every other team and fanbase knows that Belichick and staff are lurking, building something the only way it can be - gradually. It is an NFL horror movie...they know something bad is happening at some point, and it casts a shadow over all the rest of the script. And I love that.

Buffalo (this year's AFCE champ) and Miami (next year's) fans won't ever quite believe they belong at the top, because having Belichick stay on after Brady left is like the Jaws theme. You hardly ever actually see the shark, but just a couple of notes and everyone knows what's about to happen.

So. basically, you want to find a QB and backup QB in free agency, and draft a developmental QB.
After watching the QB position play this year, OBVIOUSLY improving that critical position is key to any success we will have next year. Thankfully seeing improvement at the position is likely given how low the bar is.

But you are right. QB is the key. The good news is there are a number of veteran QB's who are out there who could be an upgrade. Guys who will be FA's or guys who will be available for a trade. We might even have the right guy on the team already. That is why it is critical, at least in my opinion that Stidham gets these last 2 starts, so we can see if he is at least in the running.

Maybe this would be a good time to look at WHAT we want in a QB for this particular offense. Let me list the attributes (feel free to add or subtract)

1. Processing speed. - This is MY #1 attribute. The ability to see what is happening AFTER the ball is snapped and getting the ball to the correct receiver. Whether its because the offense is new OR he's just plain lost it, Cam is horrible at this. On the other hand, it was this attribute that Brady had in spades,

2. Quick delivery - This was the first thing that popped out at me when I watched JG his rookie year at camp.

3. Quick feet - The ability to evade rushers in the pocket. Also quick feet allows the QB to move from receiver to receiver while getting into position to throw accurately. Anything beyond that as far as being a run threat is just gravy. He doesn't have to be "fast", just quick and there is a difference.

4. Arm strength - Its important though not as important as most think. There have been a lot of failed NFL QB's who had great arms. But it IS a factor. You have to get the ball to all points of the field in a reasonable time.

5. Leadership - You have to be a guy that your teammates will rally around.

I don't think we have the draft capital to move up high enough to get one of the top 3 QB's, nor do I want to. We have more than enough holes to fill in the draft to give up that many picks to move up to get a guy who, like 98% of QB's coming out of college, is a shot in the dark. That being said, I have no problem drafting a QB at some point in the draft if one we like drops to us.

We've been talking about perhaps bringing in guys like Darnell, Wentz, JG, Stafford etc. I think it is more likely that we will bring in more of a 2nd tier guy like Nick Mullens, who I will watch with great interest today.

The rest of our needs are obvious. at big DLman, a fast LB, a quality WR, an athletics TE THOSE should be our 4 draft imperatives in the first 4 rounds.

After watching the QB position play this year, OBVIOUSLY improving that critical position is key to any success we will have next year. Thankfully seeing improvement at the position is likely given how low the bar is.

But you are right. QB is the key. The good news is there are a number of veteran QB's who are out there who could be an upgrade. Guys who will be FA's or guys who will be available for a trade. We might even have the right guy on the team already. That is why it is critical, at least in my opinion that Stidham gets these last 2 starts, so we can see if he is at least in the running.

Maybe this would be a good time to look at WHAT we want in a QB for this particular offense. Let me list the attributes (feel free to add or subtract)

1. Processing speed. - This is MY #1 attribute. The ability to see what is happening AFTER the ball is snapped and getting the ball to the correct receiver. Whether its because the offense is new OR he's just plain lost it, Cam is horrible at this. On the other hand, it was this attribute that Brady had in spades,

2. Quick delivery - This was the first thing that popped out at me when I watched JG his rookie year at camp.

3. Quick feet - The ability to evade rushers in the pocket. Also quick feet allows the QB to move from receiver to receiver while getting into position to throw accurately. Anything beyond that as far as being a run threat is just gravy. He doesn't have to be "fast", just quick and there is a difference.

4. Arm strength - Its important though not as important as most think. There have been a lot of failed NFL QB's who had great arms. But it IS a factor. You have to get the ball to all points of the field in a reasonable time.

5. Leadership - You have to be a guy that your teammates will rally around.

I don't think we have the draft capital to move up high enough to get one of the top 3 QB's, nor do I want to. We have more than enough holes to fill in the draft to give up that many picks to move up to get a guy who, like 98% of QB's coming out of college, is a shot in the dark. That being said, I have no problem drafting a QB at some point in the draft if one we like drops to us.

We've been talking about perhaps bringing in guys like Darnell, Wentz, JG, Stafford etc. I think it is more likely that we will bring in more of a 2nd tier guy like Nick Mullens, who I will watch with great interest today.

The rest of our needs are obvious. at big DLman, a fast LB, a quality WR, an athletics TE THOSE should be our 4 draft imperatives in the first 4 rounds.

If Mullens is the QB next year this team is looking at another season like this season but maybe less wins. I also think the 49ers will keep jimmy.

Patience and happiness are two very different emotions.

Someone else will win the SB from 2019-2021. That's OK. Every other team and fanbase knows that Belichick and staff are lurking, building something the only way it can be - gradually. It is an NFL horror movie...they know something bad is happening at some point, and it casts a shadow over all the rest of the script. And I love that.

Buffalo (this year's AFCE champ) and Miami (next year's) fans won't ever quite believe they belong at the top, because having Belichick stay on after Brady left is like the Jaws theme. You hardly ever actually see the shark, but just a couple of notes and everyone knows what's about to happen.
Sounds nice, but it’s not realistic. Buffalo, and no one else, fears the Patriots anymore.

I am with you, BUT some smart members on this board have already evaluated Stidham and have decoded BB thinking so Stid is a bust, no need to see what hes got...they know it already

I am with you, BUT some smart members on this board have already evaluated Stidham and have decoded BB thinking so Stid is a bust, no need to see what hes got...they know it already
You don't have to be smart and there is NOTHING to decode. Clearly BB hasn't had the confidence in Stidham to be his best option at QB even though Cam's production has been dismal. It has long been reported that when Brady took over from Bledsoe, Belichick had been waiting for a chance to put Brady in. It turns out that Brady had been outplaying Drew since TC. Unfortunately this has NOT been the case with Stidham. Rather than looking for excuses to put him on the field, he seems to be looking for excuses NOT to.

The same goes when JG looked so good in his 5 quarters for play. When Tom came back, HE got the job because he was the best QB on the roster. That brings me to another pet peeve. Everyone gets on Bill's case for NOT having a apres Tom plan. BUT he DID have a plan, it was called Jimmy Garapollo. The problem was that in 2016 Tom Brady was the best QB on the roster again, and didn't look like he was slowing down anytime soon and time had run out on JG. So it was Jimmy not Tom who saw the door, and that was a great decision since with Tom the team went to 3 superbowls in a row as well as 12 win season the next year.

And as for this year, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thought Cam wasn't a nice bridge guy when he first signed or right through September until he simply "hit a cliff" Lets not forget, though it seems so long ago, Jules had his best day as a pro catching balls from Cam.
In the end, it turned out to be a bad decision. Easy to say now AFTER the fact..

Bottom line: Brady is playing well (albeit with much more talent than he ever had in NE, while the Pats are out of contention for the first time in 20 years. Now THAT is a narrative that the local mediots will LOVE to play up. There is an old Boston adage that goes, "the 2 most favored sports in Boston are politics and REVENGE". You better believe that after 20 years of NOT being Bill Parcells, the mediots are dying to play up the Tom vs Bill, who is greater, narrative all this off season,

BTW I am one who advocated that Bill give Tom the 2 years he wanted to stay here. I was also the guy who inferred that one of the reasons he let Tom go was that he LIKED what he saw in Jared Stidham. Maybe, as it turns out.....not so much. Lets see on Sunday

Let's cut to the chase and address the elephant in the room.

How deep are we at players named any homophone for Brandon or Malcolm?

We are deep at guys who might be abbreviated J-Juan, sort of. But I don't think that addresses the need.

You don't have to be smart and there is NOTHING to decode. Clearly BB hasn't had the confidence in Stidham to be his best option at QB even though Cam's production has been dismal. It has long been reported that when Brady took over from Bledsoe, Belichick had been waiting for a chance to put Brady in. It turns out that Brady had been outplaying Drew since TC. Unfortunately this has NOT been the case with Stidham. Rather than looking for excuses to put him on the field, he seems to be looking for excuses NOT to.

The same goes when JG looked so good in his 5 quarters for play. When Tom came back, HE got the job because he was the best QB on the roster. That brings me to another pet peeve. Everyone gets on Bill's case for NOT having a apres Tom plan. BUT he DID have a plan, it was called Jimmy Garapollo. The problem was that in 2016 Tom Brady was the best QB on the roster again, and didn't look like he was slowing down anytime soon and time had run out on JG. So it was Jimmy not Tom who saw the door, and that was a great decision since with Tom the team went to 3 superbowls in a row as well as 12 win season the next year.

And as for this year, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thought Cam wasn't a nice bridge guy when he first signed or right through September until he simply "hit a cliff" Lets not forget, though it seems so long ago, Jules had his best day as a pro catching balls from Cam.
In the end, it turned out to be a bad decision. Easy to say now AFTER the fact..

Bottom line: Brady is playing well (albeit with much more talent than he ever had in NE, while the Pats are out of contention for the first time in 20 years. Now THAT is a narrative that the local mediots will LOVE to play up. There is an old Boston adage that goes, "the 2 most favored sports in Boston are politics and REVENGE". You better believe that after 20 years of NOT being Bill Parcells, the mediots are dying to play up the Tom vs Bill, who is greater, narrative all this off season,

BTW I am one who advocated that Bill give Tom the 2 years he wanted to stay here. I was also the guy who inferred that one of the reasons he let Tom go was that he LIKED what he saw in Jared Stidham. Maybe, as it turns out.....not so much. Lets see on Sunday
Jarrett

Belichick's reluctance to play Stidham also implies that he doesn't believe that Stid would benefit, and would improve, with extended real game experience. If Stidham starts the last two games, its a fast audition with the hook waiting just offstage. Of course, it more of a test than several of the pigskin cognoscenti on the board have been willing to accord Stidham.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back