PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts - the "my 2 cents" preseason edition

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I interpret the current discussion on Jones' workout regimen and "Dad bod" related to the meme that he "has a weak arm" to try and further justify that falsehood (currently being pushed by some to justify their infatuation with other rookie QBs in this class).

Actual on the field results thus far totally debunk such claims.
The current discussion of Mac's "dad bod" is has nothing to do with my comment. I don't care about the "dad bod" I care about his overall size in proportion to his LOWER body strength. Most are right, over the next few years Mac will get stronger all over, but where he seems to need it the most is in his lower half. Right now he can make all throws without having a world class arm. But if he is as hard a worker as Brady was in the off season. I believe he can increase his arm strength to the point where he can have a "gun" BUT this takes time.

There is no question that Jones is tough enough to stand in there and take the hits and make the throws. But my question was, is he STRONG enough to take those hits long term. And my contention is that he will need to GET stronger in the lower body if he wants to have a long and productive career. That takes time and MIGHT be one of the reasons Bill seems so set on starting Cam this season. He saw up close what sitting a year did for Brady, who also had a skinny version of a "dad bod"

BTW- its a good thing they closed the Cam vaccination thread. I was ready to RANT!! ;)

The current discussion of Mac's "dad bod" is has nothing to do with my comment.

Nor does it have anything to do with my original question, which is about Alabama's program.

My mid-level ACC program has everybody develop strong core and leg strength, and they all look like svelt, developed athletes by their 3rd year at the latest. So I'm curious.

Why are we even talking about Mac's body when this fanbase has seen Brady's draft bod succeed and workout warriors NKeal Harry and Chad Jackson be total busts.

Mac just needs to work with Tom House on some throwing explosion and efficient mechanics. Maybe pliability for durability and avocado ice cream as well. Could care less if he has a beer gut.

Last edited:
Nor does it have anything to do with my original question, which is about Alabama's program.

My mid-level ACC program has everybody develop strong core and leg strength, and they all look like svelt, developed athletes by their 3rd year at the latest. So I'm curious.
I can't tell you, but I'm sure Michigan has a great strength program when Brady was there too. Sometimes it just takes time, I guess.

To have such problems, right?

I have a son who can't seem to gain weight either. For 4 weeks, he increased his daily caloric intake by 1000-1500 calories per day and ended up losing 4 pounds - what the heck. He still tries to gain weight but it's not having any success.
Tell him to drink frappes.

@patfanken you should change your name to patfanken4.8

I have a son who can't seem to gain weight either. For 4 weeks, he increased his daily caloric intake by 1000-1500 calories per day and ended up losing 4 pounds - what the heck. He still tries to gain weight but it's not having any success.

get him checked for Hyperthyroidism

get him checked for Hyperthyroidism
He has regular check-ups the issue and we bring it up with the doctor, but he does make progress (Be nice to have a reason for his irritability at times other than teenage boy)

the issue really is he's a competitive swimmer (Probably D1 bound, but mid tier D1 - but that's still awesome) and has a couple futures cuts but not enough to make Olympic Trials (should/could be there in 3 years). He's got great muscle tone and probably about 5% body fat.

He has regular check-ups the issue and we bring it up with the doctor, but he does make progress (Be nice to have a reason for his irritability at times other than teenage boy)

the issue really is he's a competitive swimmer (Probably D1 bound, but mid tier D1 - but that's still awesome) and has a couple futures cuts but not enough to make Olympic Trials (should/could be there in 3 years). He's got great muscle tone and probably about 5% body fat.
thats great

theres mainly two reasons when you lose weight eventhough you increase the input, some health related issues or you just think you eat enough but you actually have to eat far more...more muscle, more energy consumption without actually doing anything, you burn more even when sleeping

might sound weird but perheps the additional 1000-1500cal are just to less to have significant gains next to the fact that he might get into overtraining as he seem to do a lot of sports, either slow down the training intensitiy and frequency for 2-3 weeks and try to eat same or keep it up with training intensity/frequency and try to get extra meal or two during the day 2000-2500cal just to see if there is any progress

at some point in time you hit your (natural/genetic) wall and progress becomes measruable over years not months or weeks anymore, theres when many start to take things that make you bald like Peyton^^
ok actually a lot of people (amateur sportist) start with it before they even train regularly

"This video was made for all of the hardgainers, ectomorphs, skinny guys and gals out there WHO WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT!"

Thrall is extremely entertaining.

One of the differences between TC then and now is that in the "old days" players came into camp out of shape, remember Art Donovan talking about this... now they work out as prescribed by the training staff year round and when they come to camp cannot even practice until they complete a conditioning test. Rightfully so, these players are expected to be in shape and prepared to play NFL football from the onset.

As usual PFK a well thought out post...

Nope. There are just many different body types.

For example, Wilfork carried a lot of "empty" pounds his entire career...didn't impact his athletic ability. We're just conditioned ourselves (mentally in our case that is) that these uber athletes must be ripped/shredded in musculature or else they wouldn't be in pro sports. He passed the conditioning test (we assume first time given no indicators to the contrary).

We have one picture to go off (the shirtless cigar shot) of and now make guesses that is the current reality and will be moving forward because we don't have any other data. There isn't any additional data to make assumptions as to his workout regimen, results, etc.
Not only that, it's one picture from nearly a full year ago.

The current discussion of Mac's "dad bod" is has nothing to do with my comment.
PFK - totally concur - you've been consistent on both Mac's current physical state as well as potential and need to improve it (vs that in the current form it is wholly inadequate, shouldn't be starting, and can never improve).

My comment was aimed at those who feel that Mac was a poor draft choice because he doesn't have the "cannon arm" and continually push the meme that he cannot make NFL level throws like the "other" draft picks the Patriots didn't select.

I think a sneaky problem with this team is that the assistant coaches just aren’t spectacular.
The coaching brain drain has been pretty epic in recent years and the guys currently occupying key spots just don’t seem as competent as previous years.

OL, WR, TE, and the entire defensive staff just don’t scare anyone

Somehow this thread rehashed. Was thinking about what Ken wrote regarding the two a days. So instrumental for the first dynasties success. That whole next man up with guys like Randall Gay, Earthland Mooreland just stepping up because they were just prepared by the coaches and all the practice. That’s all gone now. I know everyone falls under the same rules and standards but that certainly was an advantage to the Patriots in the early days. Just a master teacher with all that extra time to impose his knowledge.

I’d love to someday see a compilation of injuries from the old practice/training camp rules to todays standards. Somehow I think the injuries seem to be way more now due to less conditioning and football ready bodies. Although I could be way off there.

I think a sneaky problem with this team is that the assistant coaches just aren’t spectacular.
The coaching brain drain has been pretty epic in recent years and the guys currently occupying key spots just don’t seem as competent as previous years.

OL, WR, TE, and the entire defensive staff just don’t scare anyone

Yep, look no further than our "co-DCs" for proof... LOL at Mayo being considered a HC candidate rather than the Rooney Rule fulfillment he really was...
And little mullett-head Stevie is a ****ing Clown.

Even the loss of Pop has hurt the OL, which is getting Worse by the week.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back