PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the home field advantage edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If there is a lesson we can learn as fans from this game is how the home field advantage can effect your game plan and dictate how you run your offense, and to a lesser degree your defensive game plan. Lets discuss this briefly before we get to the break down.

I'm sure I wasn't alone in wondering where our 450 ypg and 28 ppg offense was this game, and why the Pats chose NOT to throw the ball down the field much and why Brady looked so human against THIS team on THIS field. But the more I thought about It became clear that the home field was dictating the conservative nature of the play calling.
'
a. Remember one of the major factors in being able to run this offense, which can radically change week to week, is communications. In a really noisy stadium like Denver's trying to make changes at the LOS is much riskier than at home. If just one guy doesn't get the message, disaster looms. So often times you don't make a change you could make at home and have to stay with a play you wouldn't stay with at home and it affects how good your offesne can be.

b. The defensive pass rush has a massive advantage at home because of that noise. Knowing the snap count has been the offensive line's biggest advantage for over 100 years, but, away, in a noisy stadium, you lose that advantage because either the OL is moving on a silent snap which means the OL is getting off the ball by watching the snap, or getting off the ball on defensive movement. Both ways negate that huge advantage and affects production

c. In a similar nature, the fact that the offense has no noise, it allows them to expand their game plan, Makes it easier to get into the "right" play and the OL gets that big snap count advantage.

d. Again, on offense and defense communications are more critical here than they are in some other locations, and while it isn't an excuse for wins and loses, I just want it clear how it affects how THIS team will game plan and attack other teams especially when we play a team like Denver who are uniquely able to cover this particular passing offense.

OK thanks for the rant, lets get to the breakdown

1. OL - It couldn't have been better really. Brady's experience went from 17 hits to about 4 today. There were only a couple of plays where a Denver player made a play to disrupt a play, or create one of the 2 sacks. And NONE of them were named Von Miller. :eek:

a. Maybe NOW Marcus Cannon will start to get some all pro consideration and some LONG over due recognition. He was simply awesome. He's always been a good run blocker, but he is amazingly nimble for big fat guy. CBS did a great job in showing just how good he was playing, because Miller was working hard and made moves that often get him wins. Now there are a lot people who are going to jump on board here, especially in the media, and give Dante a lot of the credit for the turn around from last season, and as much as I think Dante IS important, I still believe a big part of Denver's success last season was that BOTH Cannon and Volmer played very hurt

b. Tuney learned some good lessons, but still in the overall scheme of things he, Andrews and Mason were very good for all the reasons I mentioned at the start. It's incredible to think that this could be our OL for the rest of Brady's run here and will only get better with time. It's still relatively very young.

c. Finally Nate Solder needs a pat on the back because he's played 2 great games in a row against some great rushers, and everyone seems to dismiss his very large accomplishments most of the time.

2. Receivers - The catch Edelman made on that first and 20, over the shoulder, covered well by 2 guys and still getting his feet down was both his best catch in years and a critical one at that point of the game. He also made some others that showed outstanding individual effort in this game. He has had games with more yards, TDs, and catches, but next to Dion Lewis, NO other Pats offensive player more more crucial to the Pats win than Julian Edelman.

a. None of the other receivers made much of an impact. But Mitchell's catch was good enough that it SHOULD earn him more targets in the future. Hogan had a tough game since he was being cover either by Talib or Harris and that's hard. He had the 3rd down drop, but that happens. I'm hoping that someone who gets the all 22 will let us know if any of the WR were getting open, or were their lack of production a result of them just not getting open.

b. I wish Bennett was more of a factor in this game. They ran 2 plays down the field for him and he made one big play. They need to feature him more IMHO, but that being said, in these last 2 game I actually wouldn't mind if he sat them out or played him limited snaps, and then unleash him in the playoffs.

3. RB's - Wow what a differnce Dion Lewis makes to this offense. He will continue to open up the game plan as the Pats go forward and lessen the impact of Gronk loss. He was SOOOOOO close to breaking off a big run in this game. He will only get better as he gets his legs under him. White was again solid, and LGB had a tough game because Denver really loading the box on every play he was in and for some reason, Josh didn't run any play action passes, except for the few that worked very well.

b. James Devlin was a beast in the run game as he has been all season. His absence last season was probably the most under rated injury of the bunch. That being said, I say again, he is a vastly UNDER used asset in the passing game. On his one completion, he was literally uncovered the entire play and would have walked into the endzone untouched if Brady had thrown to him early in the progression. He has proven that he HAS good hands. Lets use him until someone starts to cover him at least.

4. QB - It took about 30 seconds into Tom Brady's post game presser to see how pissed he was at himself. I'm sure he loved the win, but hated his performance. The biggest lesson we can learn from this game is that this team can win with Tom Brady's C game. Now Brady only had a 50% completion rate today, but it is important to make the distinction that after the first period he was 62%. He also only had a 30% 3rd down conversion rate, well below his usual numbers. And when was the last time Brady threw for under 200 yds and they won by 13? Probably never.

Now a lot of the problems came from the receivers not getting open. Now whether that was a function of poor play design or great coverage (I'm leaning to the latter). It was clear to me that early in the game Denver's strategy was to maximum cover. Tight on the wideouts and lots of people in the middle. Make Brady come off his first reads and know where his next reads were. Part of the problem was Brady's impatience early in the game. He had a lot more time than he realized and once he did (after the first quarter) he was much better.

Well the good news is that we will have a Tom Brady who will have a HUGE chip on his shoulder for the last 2 games of the season. That can never be a bad thing, unless you are Jimmy Garopolo and want to get some action. ;)

5. General offensive comments: Josh McDaniels is a wildly successfull OC and an elite offensive mind in this league, but there are a couple of plays every game that just drive me nuts. One play was the 3rd and 2 when he was in a spread offense with no RB's, when I thought it was the perfect time to be in a running formation and if he wanted to pass, go to play action passing (PAP). It should be noted we made the first down on the pass, but it still drove me nuts.

Then there was the one that actually made me yell at the screen (I do that so rarely now that I've "matured" ) It was another 3rd and short when they DID line up with a RB (White) in the backfield and rather than run the ball or run a PAP, they simply dropped back with no fake and the play was blown up. I didn't mind them throwing the ball in that situation, but WHY make it easy on the defense. WHY give them a fast read? It makes no sense. It would have made more sense to have NO RB's in the backfield than to have one and not use him in the play design

b. We need to remember to give the Denver D a lot of the credit for the poor offensive results today. No team covers receiver's better than they do. That being said, if we play them again in the playoffs in Gillette, I would bet the farm they score 30+.

Defense

6. Front Seven - I was wondering early why we weren't using "guess which 4 are rushing" defense more often. I was glad to see us go to it more in the 2nd half with great effectiveness. So maybe not using it a lot in the first half was by design. I expect we will seem more and more of that kind of design as we get to the playoffs.

a. What a great overall effort and example of a great defensive design. 4 sacks and multiple pressures, and all 4 sacks came from the DL group. Slowly we are seeing the "grand design" coming into focus. It's in the great tradition of the best of the Pats D's, where that focus is not on INDIVIDUAL players making INDIVIDUAL plays, but on the total scheme and using the group to create sack opportunities from a lot of people. With a lot of teams who have great individual pass rushers, there are ways to minimize that strength and there is often no plan B or C to got to why your " big guy" isn't getting there. With the Pats there isn't any "go to" rusher, so who do you design your offense to defend? You have to remain balanced. So as the season goes on, they are getting more and more sacks/pressures/hits from more and more people.

b. The front 7 held Denver to 54 rushing yds and Forsett to just 37 in 10 carries, which is more impressive when you remember he got 19 of them on his first 2 rushes. Thank you Allen Branch, Malcolm Brown, and VV.

c. As each game goes by Jamie Collins is being missed less and less. Of course we miss that freakish athleticism, but people forget that the guys who are replacing him (McClellin and Van Noy) are exceptional athletes in their own right, but guys who for one reason or another were not as effective where they were as they are here.

d. Sheard had some great individual rushes today, and again is making a case for new deal here. It was risky to sit him down because there was always a chance you lose the guy mentally. In this case, BB pushed all the right buttons

7. DB's- Just their best game yet. Malcom was simply awesome against Sanders, who got 2 garbage time receptions to account for most of his meager production. Ryan Logan made the play of the game, but beyond that he was very good on Thomas, who I consider one of the elite WR's in the game, making him earn every one of those 98 yds. It's also important to note that over 2/3rds of Simien's 280 yds came either in the first quarter or in the last garbage time drive. So for close to 3 quarters of the game the Pats pass defense was DOMINANT.

a. Malcom's game has become so good of late. Not only his coverage, but his tackling and overall dependability that I'm going to have to change my mind about him this off season. Originally I felt that the Pats could slap a first round tender on him, and it would discourage offers for a decent, but undersized CB. I'm not so sure now. His play is making it clear that with this kid, "size clearly doesn't matter".

b. McCourty also made a top 3 defensive play in this game when he simply crushed Thomas on that 4th down deep in Pats territory. It was a great throw by Simien into the perfect spot against a Pats rotating secondary. McCourty simply made the play. It was in no way a "drop" by Thomas.

c. Denver had some great coverages on the Pats, but the Pats had just as good coverage within their schemes, especially once they took the TE's out of the game.

d. Rowe had another solid outing. He's never going to be a great CB, but he has some size the Pats were missing and if any team knows how to minimize a player's limitations it's this one. Add him to the long list of players who came here and must think they've died and gone to heaven.

8. Special teams - Well this game was almost perfect. Ryan Allen pinned the Bronco's deep in their territory all game. The Ghost's coversion rate is now just over 85% and all's well with the world. There was one KO return that got to the 30 and one holding penalty, but outside of that Special teams was pretty much perfect.

a. Interesting to note that BB mention specificially how close they were to breaking some returns today. Just something to note in the future.

9. General comments

a. I have to admit, it was a Walt Coleman game and I was suitably scared, but despite the impression early that they were calling weak holding calls on the Pats while letting Denver hold at will, the calls evened out. In fact there were only 9 penalties accepted all game, which I consider good. The Pats only had 4 for 30, while the Bronco's only had 5 for 49.

b. The 15 yd PF against Ward was perhaps the easiest call an official had to make all year. What an enormously STUPID play by a guy who was flexing while they threw the flag. I hope the shot of him flexing after such a dirty hit gets wide viewership, because it killed the last shot that Denver had to perhaps get back in this game. I didn't realize just how bad a play it was until I saw the replay. What an assh*le.

c. Interesting that there were a lot of very close games today, and even though big favorites like Pittsburgh and Oakland won today, it wasn't as easy as the Pats win. I'm sure the league was happy to have so many competitive games, but it still didn't convince me to watch any of it.

d. I'm predicting that the mediot narrative this week will be to ignore the good game the defense had and concentrate on Brady's relatively poor stats and how if it wasn't for Logan's pick or Derby's drop it all would have been different. :rolleyes: They are all so predictable. You can almost hear Shaunessey declaring the Pats schedule "tomato cans" before it actually becomes print.

c. Kudos to any reporter who gets to Michael Floyd and gets him to answer the question, "Well Michael, what were your first impressions of being on the Pats sideline during a game?" And even though I'd love to hear the answer, I doubt anyone will get it to happen....not even Reiss. Too bad, but one of the trade offs we have to "endure" to have this kind of success. I'd also LOVE to hear what Bill has to say in the locker room after a Pats loss. I bet it would be far more interesting, if a lot less satisfying.

d. Very happy for all the vets like Bennett, Hogan, Van Noy, Long and McClellin who finally know what it feels like to go to the playoffs. I saw a clip from Long and he seemed like getting there is not going to be enough. He was not at all excited, though Marty was yelling for his "cap" as he came into the locker room. ;)

OK This should be enough to get the discussion started. As always I look forward to your comments and observations. Enjoy the night.

The uptempo offense basically meant Miller couldn't time his jump as the play clock wound down. Not sure what they were doing, it was evident at one point that Andrews couldn't hear Brady. I think the uptempo might have taken away from Brady's ability to read the defense and change the scheme. This is the tradeoff. Instead of giving the pass rush the jump on Brady, they decided to call fewer audibles.

b. McCourty also made a top 3 defensive play in this game when he simply crushed Thomas on that 4th down deep in Pats territory. It was a great throw by Simien into the perfect spot against a Pats rotating secondary. McCourty simply made the play. It was in no way a "drop" by Thomas.

This thus far is the Play of the Year for me. Just a championship caliber football play. The exact type of outstanding individual play that a defense needs to make in January.

It was ugly on offense. This offense look's better when everyone's making plays. That place's like a house of horror for tommy. I just don't know what it is. I wished we had challenge their corners a little but we didn't wanna take that chance it seemed. Just happy to get the win and not go back there again this season.

Receivers not getting open are because of Broncos' excellent DBs. Hate Talib but he is an excellent CB, and nothing needs to be said about CHJ. Roby, Stewart have also been good this season. If a receiver isn't an amazing route runner he isn't going to get open against these guys, hence Edelman, who is our best route runner, is constantly getting open while players like Hogan, Mitchell and Bennett (not that they aren't good route runners...just not good enough against these Denver DBs) were shut down all game long. White was getting open too but he dropped a bunch (or Brady was inaccurate...who knows). It would not have been as big as an issue if Gronk was playing, but he's out so the team just gotta do its best without him.

"Very happy for all the vets like Bennett, Hogan, Van Noy, Long and McClellin who finally know what it feels like to go to the playoffs. I saw a clip from Long and he seemed like getting there is not going to be enough. He was not at all excited, though Marty was yelling for his "cap" as he came into the locker room. ;)"

Marty's reaction gave me pause as well. Marty is a different kind of cat, so maybe it is just Marty being Marty, but he plays for the Pats now and winning division championships are nice, but just another step along the road to the real prize.

We're on to the Rats.

a. Remember one of the major factors in being able to run this offense, which can radically change week to week, is communications. In a really noisy stadium like Denver's trying to make changes at the LOS is much riskier than at home.

It's huge that the Patriots' playoffs aren't going to be going through Mile High or Arrowhead, either of which looked possible earlier in the season.

Marty's reaction gave me pause as well. Marty is a different kind of cat, so maybe it is just Marty being Marty, but he plays for the Pats now and winning division championships are nice, but just another step along the road to the real prize.

FWIW I took it just the opposite -- that he's about winning, something he's been starved for in the NFL and wants all he can get.

Receivers not getting open are because of Broncos' excellent DBs. Hate Talib but he is an excellent CB, and nothing needs to be said about CHJ. Roby, Stewart have also been good this season. If a receiver isn't an amazing route runner he isn't going to get open against these guys, hence Edelman, who is our best route runner, is constantly getting open while players like Hogan, Mitchell and Bennett (not that they aren't good route runners...just not good enough against these Denver DBs) were shut down all game long. White was getting open too but he dropped a bunch (or Brady was inaccurate...who knows). It would not have been as big as an issue if Gronk was playing, but he's out so the team just gotta do its best without him.

Well these guy's will have to step up come the playoffs. They will have to get open.

I think bb turned down the knobb on aggressive play calling because Denver leads the nfl in points off of turnovers and 4th quarter scoring.

Since the Denver offense was is pitiful, bb plays it conservative and takes away the opportunity for Denver to do what it does best.

Ugly football, but we get a win and that is the main goal.

I thought they could have used more play action, I thought the O line did a good job so I am not sure why they didn't use more play action. Couple Dropped balls and Brady threw 4 bad balls, the others were just throwaways.

The only play I really hated was going deep to Lewis against Talib.

Defense is playing well over all and hopefully they continue to improve. Big win today.. a 13 point win against a desperate team at home.

Gostoswki getting back on track the last few games has been a breath of fresh air. I'm feeling confident when he lines up for fg's and extra points again, which I probably took for granted since he's been here.

That defense is probably the best the Pats will face the rest of the way unless they face them again in the playoffs which is beginning to look like a long shot. Two back to back games against which many consider to be elite is a bell that this team answered.

Have to admit, there is no denying this running game is legit and can beat you in many ways. They play pound the rock, speed to the outside, a threat to break off big chunks in the passing game. When you can do that it only makes the WR's jobs that much easier.

Strange how expectations change from training camp to now.

Not much to add. I was at the game but typically much more see on TV. The crowd was NOT a factor today. Much louder the past 3 games. Fans were not as ornery too.

"Very happy for all the vets like Bennett, Hogan, Van Noy, Long and McClellin who finally know what it feels like to go to the playoffs. I saw a clip from Long and he seemed like getting there is not going to be enough. He was not at all excited, though Marty was yelling for his "cap" as he came into the locker room. ;)"

We're on to the Rats.
Nah, I disagree a bit. He has a right to be happy after all these yearss without sniffing the playoffs. You have give him at least tonight to feel some real joy and accomplishment. Tommorow they can move on to the Jets in a short week.

Running the ball had to be a big part of the game plan, TB'S completion percentage in mile high is 51% lifetime. Denver can be run on and we have two different style runners. Give credit to the D for making this game plan a success.

One last thought before I retire that I should have mentioned in the OP:

This is a very physically TOUGH team, as well as being mentally tough. It kind of reminds me of those teams in the early 2000's that really physically beat teams up to the point where after playing the Pats regardless of the results of that game, usually played a sub par game in their next contest because they were still feeling the effects of the Pats game. That 2001 team comes immediately to mind.

I wonder what the record of the teams we have played this year in the games that followed their game with the Pats. I'd do it myself, but its almost 2am and I'm getting sleepy. ;)

It was ugly on offense.

Taking out the first six throws, which were really more about "surviving the first two series" in a hostile environment than poor execution, poor decisions, or poor anything else - and this game plan was the opposite of ugly. It was smart, conservative, low-mistake, field-position football.

With all of the rule changes and fantasy and other contributing factors, the newer fan doesn't have the context of how historically that game plan is exactly how to enter into a stadium where traditionally your team hasn't played well.

Dictating timing, tempo, and flow of a particular game is hard regardless of where the game is played, but harder in places like Arrowhead, Seattle, Denver, etc. The noise, aggressiveness, and skill of the particular units playing on those fields maximizes opportunity for mistakes. So does risk taking (throwing into smaller windows, while under pressure, on the move...just as an example). Both the environment AND risk taking...teams can put themselves in a world of hurt REALLY fast.

The Patriots didn't do that. They trusted their defense. They trusted their offense. And even their oft-maligned special teams - trusted them too. Execute a 70s style grind it out game. And they did it all 60 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back