PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - "escape from New York"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't exactly buy into the "extremely patchwork OL as far as talent goes.

I think Karras has some strengths that Andrews didn't. He is stronger and hold up better when faced with a man over his head. OTOH, he isn't as nimble as Andrews getting to the second level, so it probably is a factor in the run game, vs a 4-3. But in some ways its a wash.

Thuney and Mason are back, though Mason hasn't been as effective so far this year for some reason. And Cannon is playing very well and was back for the last 2 games. Only Newhouse is new and by all accounts hasn't been horrible

No I don't think the 5 man OL is the issue in the passing game. Not great Sunday, but not that bad either and not for the first 3 games. Izzo lack of power has hurt the run game as well as Devlins absence and the lack of any long term continuity on the OL thus far. Hopefully by playoff time that will be solved.
The OL is in a state of flux. Not everyone on it is playing well, there’s guys who are totally new. I imagine there is a lack of confidence right now regardless if Newhouse hasn’t been horrible and for stretches the pass protection has been OK.

Regardless the point stands. Right now Brady and his receivers are being entirely relied on without a running game. He wasn’t making good throws himself but the entire operation is struggling.

Brady played well the first three games, and he had a stinker on Sunday. He has one or two every season. Everyone needs to play much better including the receivers. The running game is a big time concern right now (the run blocking and Sony, I think both deserve some blame for poor production).

I went to the game. Lots of Pats fans there to cheer on the team! I'd say the crowd was about 70/30 or maybe even a little better, which is pretty darn good!

It started off so well! When we blocked the punt and Matthew Slater ran it into the EZ I turned to my daughter and said, "the Bills stink. They are who we thought they were," and got ready for the blowout. After that, Brady and his receivers just couldn't get on the same page. I'm not sure whose fault it is, but it's probably a combination of everyone being off. Jules looked hurt and slow, and couldn't get open (and when he did, the ball bounced off his hands). Dorsett couldn't get open either. Then I thought it was Josh Gordon, who appeared to run the wrong way several times when Brady threw it to no one. Then came the bone-headed INT in the EZ. No reason to throw that ball and no idea what Brady was thinking as there was no Patriot nearby and the Bills guy was just standing there (i.e. it's not like he ran from elsewhere, out of the middle of nowhere, to snag that ball). Brady clearly had the rush-is-coming! yips and just got rid of the ball as soon as it touched his hands several times. Can't really blame him as the line collapsed a lot. They tried to get it to the backs, but they'd either miss the ball, or they'd get tackled immediately upon catching it. Michel at least had a couple of nice runs towards the end of the game when we needed to burn the clock. This was a game where we obviously missed Gronk (both blocking and receiving). A win is a win is a win, and I trust things will look better by next week as they usually do. I know there is another thread on this, but other Pats fans and I were really sweating out that damned missed extra point (C'mon Gost! Get it together!), that appeared destined to come back to haunt us in a big way. Thank goodness our D was better than theirs. McCourty with 1 INT per game is pretty damn impressive.

A little more on Bills fans. What a bunch of yahoos. We had several different bunches around us that were clearly three sheets to the wind upon arrival, who promised to harass us all game, but in the end got into fights with each other and ended up being tossed by security after they all pointed their drunk fingers at the other Bills fans. What a bunch of maroons. And for the guy behind me who loudly wished injury and every STD on the planet on Tom Brady (all in front of my 16 year old daughter and the 5ish daughter of another Pats fan a few seats down), "karma is a biatch baby."

Comments;

a.) I started drinking heavily in the 2nd half of yesterday's game...am barely alive today.

b.) At the end of the day, it was a HUGE win with it being a road division game. *IF* we can win the MNF'er in the Meadowlands 3 weeks from tonight....we will be 4-0 in the AFC East....and 5-0 in the conference. Sets us up good for when **** gets real starting with Cleveland and @ Baltimore before the BYE.

c.) The next two weeks are crucial even if they are out of conference games...we need to BANK wins.

d.) I am alarmed by what I saw on offense yesterday...very reminiscent of last year when Gronk was out for a bit in October or after Gordon went AWOL later in the year. We really need to get the running game going...it is the OL...there isn't just any room for Michel to run and if we can't run...we can't set up play action that is convincing enough. That being said...mad props to the Bills D....and that game could have been a blow out too if Brady doesn't try throwing a ball over Hyde's head (not sure what Meyers was supposed to do on that route though...I thought he was open with Hyde behind him and Hype apparently told BB Brady was staring Edelman down...hmmm).

e.) Hightower makes things look easy....we missed him out there yesterday. I think Bentley had a few missed tackles too many.

f.) That was J.C. Jackson's best game ever..... and kudos to Slater for his first pro touchdown!

g.) I think we let Kessler go when Watson walks back in the locker room and I think we need to roll with 3TE's for now.

b) Both Cleveland and Baltimore will be coming off their bye when they play the Pats. I guess the NYFL still has a love affair going with the AFCN

f) In spite of Jackson's performance he'll take some heat from BB for his non-tackle on Gore's long run.

z) Karras looked awful.

Random question/thought before I close the book mentally on this game: Has there been a new point of emphasis this year on Unsportsmanlike Conduct for not getting back in bounds quick enough on punt coverage? Slater's been dinged twice for that now in the early season, and for a veteran pro bowler like him that seems odd to me. Are they tightening up on that more this year, or is it just two random brain farts by Slater?

Random question/thought before I close the book mentally on this game: Has there been a new point of emphasis this year on Unsportsmanlike Conduct for not getting back in bounds quick enough on punt coverage? Slater's been dinged twice for that now in the early season, and for a veteran pro bowler like him that seems odd to me. Are they tightening up on that more this year, or is it just two random brain farts by Slater?
Slater was really upset, and really really arguing that call (as in, his teammates were restraining him and trying to pull him back to the sidelines). I think the Buffalo guy was essentially holding him out of bounds so that he couldn't get back in, so the call obviously upset him. I am not sure if it's a point of emphasis. The refs on Sunday were terrible. Making ticky-tack call after call (on both teams). Or, maybe it's a "point of emphasis" on Slater because he is so good and gets down there all the time.

Maybe the Skins do not have as good a defence but I would expect to see them try to copy the Bill's game plan to an extent , they have nothing to loose. Just think another week may not be enough time for our injured players to get back fully healthy but hopefully a decent TE will give Brady another safety valve. I hope we get off to a good start
I live in DC. From my perspective the ‘Skins are so dysfunctional they couldn’t copy what they see in the mirror.

Ben Volin posted this pic showing the Bills' coverage.

**** Volin and his absence of any braincells. Not only does he post one picture and think this is somehow representative of something but he chooses a what looks like 3rd & 15 to make a point ?

If he wasn't the lazy fatass that he is he would have at least come up with 3-4 of those to support his point.

Get outta here with this ****.

**** Volin and his absence of any braincells. Not only does he post one picture and think this is somehow representative of something but he chooses a what looks like 3rd & 15 to make a point ?

If he wasn't the lazy fatass that he is he would have at least come up with 3-4 of those to support his point.

Get outta here with this ****.

So why can't homers and chicken littles have enough brain cells to actually watch what happened on Sunday and see that our receivers were covered? They could even read by whole post instead of just making a stupid comment. That pic actually is representative of what happened much of the game. You know it was 16-10. Right? Brady had a tough day. Right? You know our receivers got little separation. Right?

You get outta here with your crap.

So why can't homers and chicken littles have enough brain cells to actually watch what happened on Sunday and see that our receivers were covered? They could even read by whole post instead of just making a stupid comment. That pic actually is representative of what happened much of the game. You know it was 16-10. Right? Brady had a tough day. Right? You know our receivers got little separation. Right?

You get outta here with your crap.

Keep quoting morons like Volin or Felger and nobody will take you seriously. Might as well throw **** at the wall.

But then again throwing labels like chicken little or homer around does not necessarily show much depth or nuance in your approach.

If you want actual game insight go check out Lazar, Chatham, Howe & co.

If you want the armchair version -- which is still better than most what Volin writes -- go into the rewatch thread.

Or just stay uninformed and keep posting stuff from the MCI.

Keep quoting morons like Volin or Felger and nobody will take you seriously. Might as well throw **** at the wall.

But then again throwing labels like chicken little or homer around does not necessarily show much depth or nuance in your approach.

If you want actual game insight go check out Lazar, Chatham, Howe & co.

If you want the armchair version -- which is still better than most what Volin writes -- go into the rewatch thread.

Or just stay uninformed and keep posting stuff from the MCI.

I quoted Felger? Keep making crap up and you will continue to be the joke of the forum. This is how stupid you actually are. If you took one second to read my original post, which you did not, you would have noticed that I didn't actually quote Volin. I used a pic he happened to post as an example and gave a detailed analysis. I am sorry I did not write it in crayon or draw a comic so you could understand it better. I don't really care about you lack of reading comprehension skills or why you think you need a forum to prove to yourself you are a man. My post was about football. You are just a troll. Nothing more nothing less. Congrats. You won the internet. Yippie for you.

This game worries me mainly b/o Brady. He looked absolutely intimidated out there today. Patting the ball, happy feet, just seems jittery as hell. Probably for good reason. But supposedly when age starts to catch up, the first thing that starts to go is pocket presence and calm. Now every one can have one bad game..but this was historically bad for Brady.

If he has another one like this next week I will genuinely be concerned that the decline may be real.

I suspect I will get a lot of heat for this, but I think the reason TB wanted AB so much is because Tom knows he needs an elite receiver at this point in his career to make up for fall off in his pocket presence.

He had a 124 passer rating going into Sunday. The Bills owned him last year in December and in 2017 when Gronk infamously attacked Tre’Davious White out of sheer frustration. The Buffalo defense is one of the toughest of the Brady era, and they’re in Brady’s head. His age doesn’t really play into this when it’s happened three times now.

I went to the game. Lots of Pats fans there to cheer on the team! I'd say the crowd was about 70/30 or maybe even a little better, which is pretty darn good!

It started off so well! When we blocked the punt and Matthew Slater ran it into the EZ I turned to my daughter and said, "the Bills stink. They are who we thought they were," and got ready for the blowout. After that, Brady and his receivers just couldn't get on the same page. I'm not sure whose fault it is, but it's probably a combination of everyone being off. Jules looked hurt and slow, and couldn't get open (and when he did, the ball bounced off his hands). Dorsett couldn't get open either. Then I thought it was Josh Gordon, who appeared to run the wrong way several times when Brady threw it to no one. Then came the bone-headed INT in the EZ. No reason to throw that ball and no idea what Brady was thinking as there was no Patriot nearby and the Bills guy was just standing there (i.e. it's not like he ran from elsewhere, out of the middle of nowhere, to snag that ball). Brady clearly had the rush-is-coming! yips and just got rid of the ball as soon as it touched his hands several times. Can't really blame him as the line collapsed a lot. They tried to get it to the backs, but they'd either miss the ball, or they'd get tackled immediately upon catching it. Michel at least had a couple of nice runs towards the end of the game when we needed to burn the clock. This was a game where we obviously missed Gronk (both blocking and receiving). A win is a win is a win, and I trust things will look better by next week as they usually do. I know there is another thread on this, but other Pats fans and I were really sweating out that damned missed extra point (C'mon Gost! Get it together!), that appeared destined to come back to haunt us in a big way. Thank goodness our D was better than theirs. McCourty with 1 INT per game is pretty damn impressive.

A little more on Bills fans. What a bunch of yahoos. We had several different bunches around us that were clearly three sheets to the wind upon arrival, who promised to harass us all game, but in the end got into fights with each other and ended up being tossed by security after they all pointed their drunk fingers at the other Bills fans. What a bunch of maroons. And for the guy behind me who loudly wished injury and every STD on the planet on Tom Brady (all in front of my 16 year old daughter and the 5ish daughter of another Pats fan a few seats down), "karma is a biatch baby."

Edelman looking slow is not good. Hope it’s explained entirely by the injury. He’s 33.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots