PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Identifying the Mike LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I see Brady point and call out the Mike LB but I watch other games and I don't see other QB's doing this. Is this because Brady is setting the protection instead of the center? Also, once the Mike is pointed out, can't the defense shift to confuse the protection.

I see Brady point and call out the Mike LB but I watch other games and I don't see other QB's doing this. Is this because Brady is setting the protection instead of the center? Also, once the Mike is pointed out, can't the defense shift to confuse the protection.
It's for protection. Which side of the line, Who to double, who picks up who on a blitz etc. Kind of a last reminder before the play is snapped. All abt setting protection up.

Sometimes it's the IOL job to pick up the blitz, the RB's job or in some cases if someone else blitzes they know it's on the QB to get the ball out.

Every QB will ID the Mike. Brady (and Peyton Manning) just seem to be extra loud about it.

Identifying the mike clarified the middle of the defense which is part of the blocking scheme.

Ryan thwarted this by using that amoeba defensive look...worked for a season. Now it's part of almost every team's defensive scheme packages.

Thank you all for your replies. I know what protection is but how it is called has always been a bit confusing. I always presumed that the initial play call includes the protection scheme. Something like on this play the TE and the RB will be used in protection. I always thought the center then set the line protection. Yet I hear QB's like Brady and Peyton clearly calling out the Mike while others do not.

Like Joker mentioned, I also thought the the defensive line shifts at the last moment and the shifting and moving around of the LB's was to confuse the protection. Call out the Mike on a 4-3 and it moves into a 5-2 at the last moment.

A friend of mine told me after my post that it depends on who the QB and center are. He said that a veteran center would probably call the protection if you have a rookie or inexperienced QB playing. A veteran QB would probably call the protection if you have a rookie or inexperienced center.

I read this in SI back in August. When the offense comes to the line, the QB points out the Mike linebacker, right? In Brady's case, that's wrong. Here's what's actually happening:

I asked Bears coach Matt Nagy the other day where Mitch Trubisky might take his biggest step in 2019. And found that it’s something that’ll be tough for the fan watching on TV to pick up on. “His biggest step I think he’s taken is in protection,” Nagy told me. “The greatest quarterbacks in the league right now, they’re so good at being able to ID where the rush is coming from, they watch so much tape and they’ve seen so many rushes that they can make a call to go left or right, they’re protected, and now they have time to throw. These younger quarterbacks who can’t see, they’re throwing hot all the time, they’re scrambling, they’re running around. And so he’s taken a nice step with protections this offseason. Now training camp is going to be more about continuing that, and also seeing coverages.” Best way to conceptualize that? I remember having a conversation with Brady about a decade ago about calling the Mike, which in the Patriots’ system doesn’t mean ID’ing the middle linebacker. He’s actually calling who he thinks the fifth rusher will be, which allows the line to parcel out assignments. Brady’s good enough at it that New England often can keep one fewer blocker in, which means one more receiver goes out into the pattern, which puts stress on the defense. So what Nagy is describing might seem like a little step. It’s actually a big one.”

I thought I head somewhere that Brady was the first QB to Start identifying the mike. Is that true?

I thought I head somewhere that Brady was the first QB to Start identifying the mike. Is that true?
I would think you are correct. Brady was the first I saw/heard doing that. I always thought it was funny because when he’d say it early in his career, he’d hike the ball fast which seemed pointless because it didn’t give anyone anytime to react.

He was also saying “Omaha” before Manning made it famous.

Interesting thread. Re: centers calling protection.

I would think the center may have more experience in some cases, but the qb has the better field of view in all cases. He is standing up and can therefore better see what lobs or even cbs are doing. Also, how does the center communicate to a rB lined up behind the qb? Or even a Te or extra OT w another Te on a side in a jumbo package. All in all just seems more efficient for qb to do.
but then you also have to watch your calls/tells so the defense doesn't figure it out completely what the call means.

Interesting thread. Re: centers calling protection.

I would think the center may have more experience in some cases, but the qb has the better field of view in all cases. He is standing up and can therefore better see what lobs or even cbs are doing. Also, how does the center communicate to a rB lined up behind the qb? Or even a Te or extra OT w another Te on a side in a jumbo package. All in all just seems more efficient for qb to do.
but then you also have to watch your calls/tells so the defense doesn't figure it out completely what the call means.

Here is part of an article by Karen Guregian after Andrews was lost.

"To get a better idea about what’s involved between the center and quarterback, we consulted Damien Woody, who played both guard and center for the Patriots.

“Losing a center, is a pretty big blow,” said Woody, now an ESPN analyst. “Now, I’m not going to go all DEFCON 1 because there’s no team in the NFL that does a better job of adjusting with these type of things than the Patriots. They have the best in the biz in Dante Scarnecchia, so they’ll adjust, but the center is the quarterback of the offensive line, just directing calls and protections. (The position) is very vital, just setting the table for what’s going to transpire when the offensive play is snapped.”

Now, Brady has a role in that, as well, as far as calling the protections, or changing protections, based on what he sees at the line. But the quarterback and center work together in that regard".

Full article here Don't underestimate value of center position for Patriots

Reactions: PP2
Wish there were a lot more threads like this one, in this forum.

I actually think it has some extra effects. For one thing, assuming you get it right, it orients the play for your guys as intended, but it's also the first level of winning that play, i.e., if they were counting on beating you by disguising roles, it's like saying "I see what you're doing there." It also lets the guy best at reading the defense broadcast that likely better read to all the guys, and finally, right or wrong, everybody has a shared mental model. So you're going as a team from the same model throughout the whole play, right or wrong.

I think that's got a cool-headed, cohesive, professional motivational value. Sort of the Bradyite version of screaming at an empty garage. Except, well, he tends to still be on a football field late in the post-season.

It might be going too far, but it always reminds me of Ender screaming "The enemy's gate is down!" (They played this zero-gravity game, and it oriented + psychologically empowered guys to have them believe that the "goal" was below them... cf., "downhill runner.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back