PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I would like to see us commit to the run a bit more..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagg

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Going into this season I really thought this team would make the run game a point of emphasis(considering the WR situation). Not just the footnote it was in years past. Sure we had good rushing numbers last year but it was always a pass first team.

Yesterday Stevan Ridley 11- 50 4.5 ypc. Thats pretty decent against a tough Jets front. I think sometimes we are to cute for our own good. Running playaction with our back to the wall without establishing the threat of the run first seems to be the MO of Joshy this year. We had like 4 bad series in a row. Sometimes its ok to run it up in there for 2 yds and then 2yds again and take the 3rd and 6 vs getting sacked and doing the 2nd and 17 thing.

I really think this will help our abysmal 3rd down percentage. We rank toward the bottom of the league 28th at 33.3%. Last year we were the best at about 48% that is a big swing. I also think a run first gameplan helps out the O-line. Putting them on the attack a bit more than they are used to getting a little mean wouldnt be a bad thing.

The Pats abandoned the run again when they were averaging 4.5 yac.

20 attempts isnt enough.

There is no excuse for abandoning the run, especially when they were leading for most of the game.

20 attempts isnt enough.
Agreed. Both Ridley and Bolden were averaging 4.5/carry and the run was abandoned. There's nothing wrong with slowing a game down and wearing an opposing defense down with the run. I think this team is capable of doing it, too. Seemed like an opportune time, too, given they were up 21-10 after half.

I thought MacDaniels had one of his absolute worst days as OC. Going empty backfield on first down and second downs over and over was ridiculous. they have a good run game and telling the other team they have no intention of using it is as stupid as it gets. it's one thing when your empty sets are unstoppable, as they have been in the past, but with this receiving corps at this time they are far from it.

They all but abandoned the run on early downs until late in the game, then it started working. First down, by what I saw, was a passing down far too often yesterday, and it often resulted in 2nd and 10 when one of the rookies either dropped the ball or Brady locked on to Gronk and he was either well covered, or dropped it himself. The Pats were ripping off decent runs, be it with Ridley or Bolden yesterday, and should have been running the ball far more often on early downs.

We could have used some run in OT.

Going into this season I really thought this team would make the run game a point of emphasis(considering the WR situation). Not just the footnote it was in years past. Sure we had good rushing numbers last year but it was always a pass first team.

Yesterday Stevan Ridley 11- 50 4.5 ypc. Thats pretty decent against a tough Jets front. I think sometimes we are to cute for our own good. Running playaction with our back to the wall without establishing the threat of the run first seems to be the MO of Joshy this year. We had like 4 bad series in a row. Sometimes its ok to run it up in there for 2 yds and then 2yds again and take the 3rd and 6 vs getting sacked and doing the 2nd and 17 thing.

I really think this will help our abysmal 3rd down percentage. We rank toward the bottom of the league 28th at 33.3%. Last year we were the best at about 48% that is a big swing. I also think a run first gameplan helps out the O-line. Putting them on the attack a bit more than they are used to getting a little mean wouldnt be a bad thing.

The answer to your post is our brillant and Overmatched OC Josh McDaniels.

We could have used some run in OT.

This. When we went throw, throw, throw in OT I was pissed. On the season, we have 120 less rushing attempts than passing attempts if you don't include kneel downs.

I thought they should have used it a bit more too. I mean, Ridley got a lot of his yards on three carries (17 TD, 12 and 8 I believe) and I think 5 carries of 2 or less...not sure on what Bolden's play by play looked like but that shows me that they have the guys to break it open for good gains if they can get the defense off balance a little and help to set up 3rd and shorts. Is there stats anywhere on what the average yardage needed is on 3rd downs for the year?

It's not like they were getting stuffed on every single play. Especially with Gronk back I'm hoping we'll see the time-eating longer drives that we've seen so many times in the past decade.

Ive posted this thought from time to time. Brady is the coaching staffs (BB included) safety blanket. Just like TB looks or has looked to gronk, welker, moss as his safety net, (over the years trying to force the ball to them.) The same is true for the HC and OC with respect to Brady. When in doubt have Brady throw the ball. The problem is a good defense can focus on TB and shut him down or limit his effectiveness greatly. It reminds me of Shula when he got Marino. Marino put up great numbers, but in the end to much responsibility was placed on one player. You need to run the ball to take the heat of the QB and to set up the play action passing game. Its been going on her for years, and why it doesn't change

Yes Please for the love of god!! Been saying this for a long time. I hate that we abandon the run. I don't care if we grind it out 3 or 4 yards at a time. Keep running it and keep the defense honest. We throw on 1st down, incompletion, throw on 2nd down, incompletion, 3rd and 10.. How many situations have we been in over the past weeks were we are always having to convert 10 yards on 3rd down. Those 2 or 3 yards every run add up in the end. Just my opinion, its frustrating to watch.

What did Ridley do to BB? Hell at least let the kid return kickoffs in place of Blount if you aren't gonna give him more than like 5 carries.

Didn't we run once or twice on 3rd and short and not make it? The o-line got very little push all game, largely because the Jets d-line is pretty good.

we abandon the run way too much

Didn't we run once or twice on 3rd and short and not make it? The o-line got very little push all game, largely because the Jets d-line is pretty good.

Becoming almost one dimensional, particularly on early downs, because your opponent has a good DL is always a recipe for a loss.

The last 2 times they tried to run in the 4th quarter, they did well. But that was before 2 minute warning and right after with Bolden. Jets weren't expecting.

On previous two series with Ridley, the Jets stoned them 3 times on runs. 2 losses on one no gain. The Patriots could not spring Ridley for anything, Wendell and Connolly in particular were getting blown out.

Should the Patriots commit more to the run? Absolutely. But they shouldn't slam their heads against the wall.

The last 2 times they tried to run in the 4th quarter, they did well. But that was before 2 minute warning and right after with Bolden. Jets weren't expecting.

On previous two series with Ridley, the Jets stoned them 3 times on runs. 2 losses on one no gain. The Patriots could not spring Ridley for anything, Wendell and Connolly in particular were getting blown out.

Should the Patriots commit more to the run? Absolutely. But they shouldn't slam their heads against the wall.
Agreed you don't slam your head against the wall. But then what are they doing with the constant passing? Brady was under 50% and under 5 yards/attempt with 1 INT and 0 TDs yesterday. Just because they were shutdown on some runs doesn't mean you just stop. That Jets defense is good for a reason and abandoning an aspect of your offense only makes them more difficult to move against.

20 attempts isnt enough.

Agreed. Don't know why when they panic they go pass happy (resulting in sacks and yesterday, a pick 6) when instead they should stick with the run. Maddening.

Agreed you don't slam your head against the wall. But then what are they doing with the constant passing? Brady was under 50% and under 5 yards/attempt with 1 INT and 0 TDs yesterday. Just because they were shutdown on some runs doesn't mean you just stop. That Jets defense is good for a reason and abandoning an aspect of your offense only makes them more difficult to move against.

The passing is what got them downfield twice for FGs though, and both of those long drives (started inside Patriots 10) should have ended in TDs were it not for 2 big drops and one horrendous pick call on Gronk.

At some point, esp. when you're behind in the 4th qtr., you have to go with what works, and clearly passing was working well. Even the people complaining about Brady's misfire to Dobson in the 4th should acknowledge that he came back with a 20 yard completion over the middle to Gronk.

Now, given how the Jets DL overpowered the Patriots OL in OT, I can easily see running at least once to test whether you can break the Jets aggressive D by breaking through the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back