PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I once Saw Guyton Make a Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guyton has exceeded his expectations but he is still a JAG

Guyton fills his niche "adequately" (see, that's the proper use of this word), but he is who he is. I fully expect him to progressively lose reps to Dane Fletcher (who has looked pretty impressive in limited action) as the season goes on.

For the fastest LB in his draft class, Guyton sure has trouble covering guys...where is this great speed of his displayed because I don't see it.

For the fastest LB in his draft class, Guyton sure has trouble covering guys...where is this great speed of his displayed because I don't see it.

Oh, he is pretty fast, just watch the INT return against the Bengals. He's just not that good in zone coverage.

Coverage has almost nothing to do with 40 time

Last edited:
To be fair to Guyton, CBs and S have a hard time covering Gates and Sproles.

And appears to be dumb as a brick as he constantly looks lost, out of position or slow to read plays

What kind of a brick are we talking about?

I am curious if anybody else is feeling down on Guyton. I was ecstatic when he had that INT return for a TD and thought that maybe he had turned a corner in his coverage ability.

But, lately I continue to see Guyton giving up pass plays, getting run over by WRs and pushed around by blockers. Will Guyton ever make another play on the ball? He is supposed to be the Patriots coverage LB, but honestly, he isn't covering anybody. I think that Guyton may not have much in the way of football instincts or tackling ability.

Dane Fletcher could be in the process of taking his spot.

Guyton was 2nd on the team in tackles yesterday ...

9 tackles with 1 for a loss ... so 8 times you whiffed Nunchucks.

Guyton was 2nd on the team in tackles yesterday ...

9 tackles with 1 for a loss ... so 8 times you whiffed Nunchucks.

I'd prefer he had a pass defended instead. He seems to lack that instinctual ability to attack the ball, instead he is a few yards off the offensive player and makes a tackle after being carried for 3 yards.

He was carried by a WR for a few yards on one of those sweet tackles.

He also has zero make up speed, he really should have been able to knock that ball away from Gates

Guyton had a rough game. What Patriots linebacker can stay with Sproles, though?

I could be wrong, but I thought Fletcher made a 1 on 1 tackle on him at some point.
My problem with Guyton...he's fast, but has ZERO quickness.

Gates was hobbled and almost didn't play yesterday.....yet he beat Guyton to the outside...

You gotta be better than THAT Guyton...

I'll give him a PPP grade.....

I'd prefer he had a pass defended instead. He seems to lack that instinctual ability to attack the ball, instead he is a few yards off the offensive player and makes a tackle after being carried for 3 yards.

He was carried by a WR for a few yards on one of those sweet tackles.

He also has zero make up speed, he really should have been able to knock that ball away from Gates

I prefer to look at these players as Bill is trying to get something out of them ... it's the only way to remain a top team with a few high paid veterans. For every Brady and Wilfork you need a few Guyton's and and BJGE's.

Put me down as another not real keen on Guyton. And I was definitely hoping what he did vs Cinci was a sign of things to come. Not that I was looking for pick6s every week, but just some consistently intense linebacking. He's doing what he always seems to do, which is be just average. And Im guilty of having seen far too many ABOVE average LBs playing here for with this team to wanna see anything less than that.

Except the 4th quarter. I can't imagine our scheme was to play that soft for that long. Rivers was having his way with us, especially the deep middle.

And just for the record... their top 2 receivers (3 if you count Jackson) were out. They were using Patrick Crayton (recently cut by Dallas), Buster Davis (on the verge of being a 1st round bust), and some PS'er they just brought up. Ouch.

They weren't tentative; they were exhausted. Check out the TOP for the last quarter and a half.

Guyton lacks football instincts from what I've observed. He just doesn't seem to get a feel for the game and the Chargers exploited that.

For a supposedly fast guy he always looks to be lumbering. Yesterday he looked like the spitting imagine of a declining Adalius Thomas to me.

Hopefully he can pick his level of play up.

Fletcher did have a nice rundown and tackle of Sproles, had nowhere near the number of missed tackles/blown coverages that Guyton had. If Fletcher continues to improve I think he will start to eat in Guyton's playing time even more. GG only plays a little more that 1/3 of the snaps anyways. Fletcher looks more instinctive and aggressive to my untrained eyes, but has experience on his side right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back