PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I keep going back to the first 2021 game vs Buffalo

All this nonsense about Patricia is ridiculous. The Patriots are running the offense Bill wants to run. If Bill had an issue with the playcalling, it would change and quick. Jones knows this. He is not yelling at Patricia - he is yelling at Bill through Patricia. And Bill knows that. As long as Bill is here, Jones will lose that fight. Hell, at the end of the day, Brady lost it too.
Brady didn't lose. The Pats did.

One of Patricia's former players with the Lions said that Patricia threatened to "end his career". That didn't work but maybe he's trying to do the same with Jones.

I must be thinking of another game. I just remember a game where Brady handed off the ball over and over and over again against Miami
Are you thinking about the game where they tried to get a washed out Stephen Jackson going for the playoffs?

People only want to talk about Jones down the stretch last year. Did the first Bills game mentally damage the defense too? Because after the bye, they went from one of the top defenses in the league to an absolute train wreck. They were awful in the Indy game.

In fact, Jones played pretty well in the second half of the Indy game and was mounting a comeback and got the Patriots to a 20-17 deficit with 2:21 left in the game. What happened next? The defense let the Colts go 67 yards down the field in two plays and 20 seconds for an easy TD to make it 27-17 killing the comeback.

And the following week, the Patriots defense didn't force the Bills to punt once and allowed the Bills to score on any meaningful drive. And even then, it was only a five point game (26-21) midway through the fourth period.

The 2/3 for 19 yards game. That game is almost an inflection point in Jones’ pro career. He simply has never looked as confident since that game. Yes they played tougher teams later in 2021, but Jones looked quite good vs the Bucs and Cowboys earlier. The Patriots were rolling coming into that game, and after beating Buffalo, winning the division seemed a real possibility. But Jones did not look like the same player afterwards. It is one thing for a coach to put the brakes on a QB when he has screwed up, but Jones never got the chance to screw up that night. The Pats won that night and Jones should have gotten over it, but I don’t think he and Belichick have had a good relationship since that game.
I agree. He lost his confidence after that game for some reason. Players were coming into town saying we're going to force Mac to beat us. One after the other. And they did. And we lost. No respect.

I agree. He lost his confidence after that game for some reason. Players were coming into town saying we're going to force Mac to beat us. One after the other. And they did. And we lost. No respect.

As a small boy, the Veneclown has an epiphany serving to marginalize him into adulthood ...

Calvin-and-denial.jpg copy.jpg

People only want to talk about Jones down the stretch last year. Did the first Bills game mentally damage the defense too? Because after the bye, they went from one of the top defenses in the league to an absolute train wreck. They were awful in the Indy game.
Its common knowledge that the 2021 NE defense could not stop the run.

Lets not talk about your boy Mac throwing back to back INTs. The Pats first 6 drives ended in typical Mac FAIL.
1 - Punt
2 - Blocked punt for Indy TD. Clearly the defenses fault.
3 - Punt
4 - INT
5 - INT
6 - Downs

The Pats only had 10 drives and 60% are already wasted. Cant blame McDaniel's so lets blame the defense.
In fact, Jones played pretty well in the second half of the Indy game and was mounting a comeback and got the Patriots to a 20-17 deficit with 2:21 left in the game. What happened next? The defense let the Colts go 67 yards down the field in two plays and 20 seconds for an easy TD to make it 27-17 killing the comeback.
Jones had the ball with 2:00 left. He did nothing because he cant comeback from a deficit.

4 straight incomplete passes and a punt. No FG, no onside kick, no nothing.
And the following week, the Patriots defense didn't force the Bills to punt once and allowed the Bills to score on any meaningful drive. And even then, it was only a five point game (26-21) midway through the fourth period.
Good idea. Blame Stevie Belichick and the defense.

Their fault that Macaroni threw 2 more INTs and had a QB rate of 31.4. The Pats offense converted 1 - 3rd down conversion and Buffalo had the ball for 9 more minutes than NE. It was an awful day for dinking and dunking too. 145 passing yards, 32 pass attempts with 14 completions = 43% completion rate.

Its common knowledge that the 2021 NE defense could not stop the run.

Lets not talk about your boy Mac throwing back to back INTs. The Pats first 6 drives ended in typical Mac FAIL.
1 - Punt
2 - Blocked punt for Indy TD. Clearly the defenses fault.
3 - Punt
4 - INT
5 - INT
6 - Downs

The Pats only had 10 drives and 60% are already wasted. Cant blame McDaniel's so lets blame the defense.

Jones had the ball with 2:00 left. He did nothing because he cant comeback from a deficit.

4 straight incomplete passes and a punt. No FG, no onside kick, no nothing.

Good idea. Blame Stevie Belichick and the defense.

Their fault that Macaroni threw 2 more INTs and had a QB rate of 31.4. The Pats offense converted 1 - 3rd down conversion and Buffalo had the ball for 9 more minutes than NE. It was an awful day for dinking and dunking too. 145 passing yards, 32 pass attempts with 14 completions = 43% completion rate.

Stop it. I am pointing out the entire team did poorly after the bye and the first Buffalo game. I am not blaming the defense for anything other than killing any chance for the Pats to complete the comeback in the Indy game.

My point was the theory that the Buffalo game did anything for Jones' psyche is silly. I am pointing out the defense collapsed just as bad or worse than the offense after the bye and the Buffalo game. It wasn't just Jones.

Add more evidence that Jones does not possess an NFL arm.

1 Starting this season, the Pats let Jones throw deep resulting in 7 INTs.

2 Jones was yanked from the Bears game after throwing another INT. For all the flak that Zappe gets for playing poorly and losing to the Bears, Mac Jones was not beating the Bears either so that BB could surpass George "Papa Bear" Halas in wins. Zappe deserves all the blame for losing that game and nobody else.

3 The Pats ceased letting Jones throw deep and focused on avoiding INTs by taking sacks and playing it safe. Hence the closing seconds of the Raiders game where the ball is always in the QBs hands on the other 31 teams, but Mac was not trusted. Last week vs the Bengals, there should have been the option to throw if Stevenson was going to run straight into a wall of Bengals, but Mac was not trusted.

Brady at the height of his career QB'd games when they exclusively ran the ball. Against Miami when he went 3 of 6 for 30 something yards back in 2006.

This isn't unprecedented that Belichick would do this in bad weather
Edit; Realized you answered this already

Based on body language and his postgame presser I got the impression Mac was not exactly thrilled about his role in the 3 pass game. Seeing how cranky he's been on the field this year about the playcalling and coaching that probably backs that theory up. I don't know if that "broke" him but it definitely ruined his ROTY case regardless of how he did after that.

Voters saw the Pats got literally and deliberately nothing from the passing game... and still won. That cost him the award right there IMO

Stop it. I am pointing out the entire team did poorly after the bye and the first Buffalo game. I am not blaming the defense for anything other than killing any chance for the Pats to complete the comeback in the Indy game.

My point was the theory that the Buffalo game did anything for Jones' psyche is silly. I am pointing out the defense collapsed just as bad or worse than the offense after the bye and the Buffalo game. It wasn't just Jones.
The QB is the team.

When the majority of the players do not believe in him then you have a losing culture like the Pats have now. Its the same as the boss driving the company into bankruptcy. Corporate placed this unqualified person in command. All the employees can see the end coming, but they still show up on time everyday and work hard. Its par for the course to always have a few brownnosers in the incompetent bosses corner.

In this case Bourne and Meyers have stepped to the Bagdad Bob podium for Mac.

The QB is the team.

When the majority of the players do not believe in him then you have a losing culture like the Pats have now. Its the same as the boss driving the company into bankruptcy. Corporate placed this unqualified person in command. All the employees can see the end coming, but they still show up on time everyday and work hard. Its par for the course to always have a few brownnosers in the incompetent bosses corner.

In this case Bourne and Meyers have stepped to the Bagdad Bob podium for Mac.

LOL! Yes, it was Mac Jones' fault that Matthew Judon totally disappeared down the stretch last year. Judon wasn't injured. He didn't just burn out. He didn't lose focus. He was just disillusioned that Mac Jones was his QB and gave up.

They just released thousands of documents from the Warren Commission. Does anyone know if there was any mention of Mac Jones being at Dealey Plaza in Dallas on November 22, 1963? Or where was he on the day of stock market crash of 1929?

You do realize the Patriots won the first Bills game, it brought their win streak to seven games, and controlled their own destiny for the top seed in the AFC and a first round bye coming out of their bye week? Why would there be a culture of losing at that point going into the Colts' game when they controlled their destiny to be the #1 seed and just won their last seven games?

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back