PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I keep going back to the first 2021 game vs Buffalo

bormio

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The 2/3 for 19 yards game. That game is almost an inflection point in Jones’ pro career. He simply has never looked as confident since that game. Yes they played tougher teams later in 2021, but Jones looked quite good vs the Bucs and Cowboys earlier. The Patriots were rolling coming into that game, and after beating Buffalo, winning the division seemed a real possibility. But Jones did not look like the same player afterwards. It is one thing for a coach to put the brakes on a QB when he has screwed up, but Jones never got the chance to screw up that night. The Pats won that night and Jones should have gotten over it, but I don’t think he and Belichick have had a good relationship since that game.

The 2/3 for 19 yards game. That game is almost an inflection point in Jones’ pro career. He simply has never looked as confident since that game. Yes they played tougher teams later in 2021, but Jones looked quite good vs the Bucs and Cowboys earlier. The Patriots were rolling coming into that game, and after beating Buffalo, winning the division seemed a real possibility. But Jones did not look like the same player afterwards. It is one thing for a coach to put the brakes on a QB when he has screwed up, but Jones never got the chance to screw up that night. The Pats won that night and Jones should have gotten over it, but I don’t think he and Belichick have had a good relationship since that game.

Rest assured your concerns are unfounded. The Patriots had a winning game plan and executed well. Many people aren't aware of the fact that Mac called a ton of running play audibles based on what Buffalo's defense was showing, which led to amassing 222 yards on the ground. The Patriots out-gained the Bills overall, Josh Allen only passed for 131 that night. Conditions were brutal and Mac's quarterbacking was integral to the win, just not in conventional fashion. He was pleased with the win, not upset over lack of passing attempts in a hurricane.

Brady at the height of his career QB'd games when they exclusively ran the ball. Against Miami when he went 3 of 6 for 30 something yards back in 2006.

This isn't unprecedented that Belichick would do this in bad weather

I keep going back to the first 2021 game vs Buffalo​

Why? You act like he's the first QB to have to play in a game where he's asked to almost exclusively run the ball. Mac might not be the most mature player ever but I think he can wrap his mind around the gameplan and take the win in extremely tough conditions.

All this nonsense about Patricia is ridiculous. The Patriots are running the offense Bill wants to run. If Bill had an issue with the playcalling, it would change and quick. Jones knows this. He is not yelling at Patricia - he is yelling at Bill through Patricia. And Bill knows that. As long as Bill is here, Jones will lose that fight. Hell, at the end of the day, Brady lost it too.

All this nonsense about Patricia is ridiculous. The Patriots are running the offense Bill wants to run. If Bill had an issue with the playcalling, it would change and quick. Jones knows this. He is not yelling at Patricia - he is yelling at Bill through Patricia. And Bill knows that. As long as Bill is here, Jones will lose that fight. Hell, at the end of the day, Brady lost it too.

BB isn't running the offense, Patricia is. And THAT is the worst coaching staff miscalculation of his Patriots tenure.

BB isn't running the offense, Patricia is. And THAT is the worst coaching staff miscalculation of his Patriots tenure.
There ain’t nothing about that team that Bill don’t run - especially an OC who has never been an OC before. People act like he is a potted plant or something.

Who is Bill going to change to mid-season? Joe Judge? Patriots have the smallest staff in the league. Bill isn’t gonna can his best buddy half way through the season. Whether he should or not is a completely different question.

That was the week before. The next game was the poor effort vs the Colts
Ah, you’re right! I read the game log stats wrong. My bad.

I still don’t buy that Belichick or anyone else broke him by having him pass 3 times last year in the Bills Snow game. He played pretty well in the Jags game, which tells me the better coached teams had film on him and started to pick up tells, something Bluto has not fixed. Or he was a tired rookie hitting the wall.

Last edited:
There ain’t nothing about that team that Bill don’t run - especially an OC who has never been an OC before. People act like he is a potted plant or something.

BB is head coach and also a 70-year-old human being. He can't micromanage everything, that's why he has assistants. The last time BB called offensive plays was in Cleveland and since then the NFL has changed drastically. He made a gigantic mistake hiring a potted plant to run the offense.

Basically its because of a lack of confidence in your QB.

Not much has changed and to be frank, matters are actually worse because the NE players are not blind and they see what is real. The Raiders game finale saw the NE RBs try to get into FG range in lieu of throwing to preserve clock. Other NFL QBs in that same situation throw every time in perfect playing conditions. The Pats ran from midfield with 3 seconds remaining in regulation instead of throwing the Hail Mac. The end of the Bengals game was slightly different. The Pats coaching staff put the ball in their best offensive players hands AGAIN running Stevenson into 9 Bengals in the box.

Brady at the height of his career QB'd games when they exclusively ran the ball. Against Miami when he went 3 of 6 for 30 something yards back in 2006.

This isn't unprecedented that Belichick would do this in bad weather

The game where Cassel played after the first quarter and Flutie had his drop kick? The weather wasn't bad that game, for Foxborough in January.

The game where Cassel played after the first quarter and Flutie had his drop kick? The weather wasn't bad that game, for Foxborough in January.
I must be thinking of another game. I just remember a game where Brady handed off the ball over and over and over again against Miami

Basically its because of a lack of confidence in your QB.

Not much has changed and to be frank, matters are actually worse because the NE players are not blind and they see what is real. The Raiders game finale saw the NE RBs try to get into FG range in lieu of throwing to preserve clock. Other NFL QBs in that same situation throw every time in perfect playing conditions. The Pats ran from midfield with 3 seconds remaining in regulation instead of throwing the Hail Mac. The end of the Bengals game was slightly different. The Pats coaching staff put the ball in their best offensive players hands AGAIN running Stevenson into 9 Bengals in the box.

durp 121 jpeg  copy.jpg

If a QB can be broken in a game you win, well, he's going to break eventually anyway

Ah, you’re right! I read the game log stats wrong. My bad.

I still don’t buy that Belichick or anyone else broke him by having him pass 3 times last year in the Bills Snow game. He played pretty well in the Jags game, which tells me the better coached teams had film on him and started to pick up tells, something Bluto has not fixed. Or he was a tired rookie hitting the wall.
A agree with your overall point but it wasn't a snow game, it was a wind game.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back