PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Can't Wait for the Charlie Pierce Book About Brady!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsFan-NH said:
Yes this is participation. When you lack it, there is no contact between the author and the subject. Those who are really close to the subject either don't talk or all the quotes are reduced to 'a source close to the team' and 'a source close to the family'. The sources also become those who are not close, or who have had a falling out and an axe to grind, and those who were never close but want a bit of fame.

I don't have Sirrus so I have no idea what Brady said, but was the 25 minute phone interview his idea or the author's ? The book doesn't appear to be delving deeply into Brady's thoughts and feelings, so that may have been all the author needed. Of course he may have been unable to go deeper if Brady didn't want him to, which also doesn't mean Brady didn't want to participate, just that he wants to preserve what little is left of his privacy.

25 minutes on the phone with Pierce when Brady was given the SI Sportsman of the Year last year. The conversation was about the award and he worked in some questions. Brady said he did not want to have any direct quotes for the book, but Pierce could contact his family and it was up to them if they wanted to participate.

Last I checked Tom Brady is not his father or his sisters...I call that not participating. Call it what you will, but that is pretty weak.

Drewwho said:
25 minutes on the phone with Pierce when Brady was given the SI Sportsman of the Year last year. The conversation was about the award and he worked in some questions. Brady said he did not want to have any direct quotes for the book, but Pierce could contact his family and it was up to them if they wanted to participate.

Last I checked Tom Brady is not his father or his sisters...I call that not participating. Call it what you will, but that is pretty weak.

But there are in fact direct quotes from Brady in the book.....:eek:

PatsFan-NH said:
But there are in fact direct quotes from Brady in the book.....:eek:

yeah, there a plenty of quotes that were taken from the countless interviews over the years from Brady - no direct 'book' quotes. Just like there are plenty of quotes from Belichick, but again from archive interviews.

I've just started reading this one in the last 24 hours, but a few random thoughts:

(1) In one sense, 2005 is the perfect season to write about Brady as leader of the Patriots. . . . much as none of us like to think about that.

(2) I'm not surprised that Brady would be uncomfortable about this book; while pretty much any of us would trade body parts/souls/fortunes/etc. to have his life, his response is, "Is this it?"

(3) Did Pierce really have to give more legs to the d*** "Tuck Rule" myth? :mad: CHFF has given pretty convincing evidence that it should be regarded as, more than anything else, uncalled roughing the passer.

Last edited:
ctpatsfan77 said:
(3) Did Pierce really have to give more legs to the d*** "Tuck Rule" myth? :mad: CHFF has given pretty convincing evidence that it should be regarded as, more than anything else, uncalled roughing the passer.

I know. Seeing as the Tuck Rule has been called many times since then, I really wish these writers (Halberstam did it, too) would shut up about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes