PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hunter Henry to have MRI

Both Henry and Smith have injury histories, that’s why I’m assuming they might carry 4 TEs. Henry, Smith, Asiasi and either LaCosse or Fumagalli. Asiasi is more like Smith, and LaCosse and Fumagalli are more Henry like. Should be interesting to see the final 53.

So if he’s ready to go for the opener, they carry 4 WRs and Harry is likely traded.
I don’t think 4 WRs is enough, especially when 2 are new to the team and one played a total of 187 snaps on offense in 2 years.

I don’t think 4 WRs is enough, especially when 2 are new to the team and one played a total of 187 snaps on offense in 2 years.
Assuming both TEs are healthy, the personnel groupings we would use the most don’t really have use a use for 5 WRs on the active roster. Wilkerson would be my guess for the practice squad.

Assuming both TEs are healthy, the personnel groupings we would use the most don’t really have use a use for 5 WRs on the active roster. Wilkerson would be my guess for the practice squad.

Something definitely has to give between the RBs, TEs, and WRs. The options are a 5th WR (Wilk or Harry), a 4th TE (LaCosse or Fumagalli), a 5th RB (Taylor or Bolden), or a FB. They might be able to pick 2 of those 4, especially if one of them is a heavy ST'er like Bolden or potentially Wilk. But there's a definite squeeze happening amongst the offensive skill positions.

Something definitely has to give between the RBs, TEs, and WRs. The options are a 5th WR (Wilk or Harry), a 4th TE (LaCosse or Fumagalli), a 5th RB (Taylor or Bolden), or a FB. They might be able to pick 2 of those 4, especially if one of them is a heavy ST'er like Bolden or potentially Wilk. But there's a definite squeeze happening amongst the offensive skill positions.
I’m betting 4 WRs, 3 TEs, and 5 RBs (Bolden due to his contributions on ST). This is pretty clearly going to be a power run/play action offense. Of course I could be wrong, but I look at the most likely personnel groupings we will be using this season and don’t see where a 5th wideout (not named Slater) fits in.

I’m betting 4 WRs, 3 TEs, and 5 RBs (Bolden due to his contributions on ST). This is pretty clearly going to be a power run/play action offense. Of course I could be wrong, but I look at the most likely personnel groupings we will be using this season and don’t see where a 5th wideout (not named Slater) fits in.
My guess: Michel, Harris, Stevenson, White, Bolden (for ST, mostly).

At WR, Agholor, Bourne, and Meyers, for sure, but I think Harry sticks, and Gunner and Slater are kept for STs (Gunner will be next in line at WR).

Smith, Henry, and Asiasi on the 53. LaCosse on the PS, protected, brought up when needed.

My guess: Michel, Harris, Stevenson, White, Bolden (for ST, mostly).

At WR, Agholor, Bourne, and Meyers, for sure, but I think Harry sticks, and Gunner and Slater are kept for STs (Gunner will be next in line at WR).

Smith, Henry, and Asiasi on the 53. LaCosse on the PS, protected, brought up when needed.
Agree with your RB group. I think Gunner makes it ahead of Harry. Harry will be competing with Meyers and Agholor for the flanker/split end roles while Bourne and Gunner are more of your traditional slot receivers in this offense. The latter also brings versatility as a return man. I’m just not seeing where Harry belongs with the current personnel and expected personnel groupings. I think he’s traded prior to Week 1. Agree with you about the TE group.

Agree with your RB group. I think Gunner makes it ahead of Harry. Harry will be competing with Meyers and Agholor for the flanker/split end roles while Bourne and Gunner are more of your traditional slot receivers in this offense. The latter also brings versatility as a return man. I’m just not seeing where Harry belongs with the current personnel and expected personnel groupings. I think he’s traded prior to Week 1. Agree with you about the TE group.
I could see a trade, but I doubt he'll be cut. it would cost them CAP and he's having a really good camp so far, from all reports.

PS. Rooting for Gunner. He's all heart. Reminds me of Troy Brown and Jules...just wants to get the ball in his hands at all costs.

LaCosse on the PS, protected, brought up when needed.

This could be the answer to the question (well, this or injuries). If they think they can sneak a player onto the PS, that could give them a LOT of flexibility in the early season. LaCosse is one such candidate as I doubt anyone else is jumping to add him to their 53. I would also think Taylor, Fumagalli, Jakob Johnson, or Wilkerson are possibilities, though I wouldn't be surprised if any of them got snagged if the Pats tried it.

Did not see any posts about this and its significant if the news in bad post MRI.

big-bang-theroy-stressed.gif

This could be the answer to the question (well, this or injuries). If they think they can sneak a player onto the PS, that could give them a LOT of flexibility in the early season. LaCosse is one such candidate as I doubt anyone else is jumping to add him to their 53. I would also think Taylor, Fumagalli, Jakob Johnson, or Wilkerson are possibilities, though I wouldn't be surprised if any of them got snagged if the Pats tried it.

Jake Johnson's not going anywhere, unless Stevenson or Bolden commits to becoming a Jason Snelling-FB/RB type...

Jake Johnson's not going anywhere, unless Stevenson or Bolden commits to becoming a Jason Snelling-FB/RB type...

You could definitely be right, it's really hard to judge right now. I'm just not convinced that there's a ton of snaps for a FB in the offense this year, so a guy that is ONLY a FB would have to be really, really good at it. And I like Johnson, I think he's done a pretty good job, but he's not James Develin (yet), so I'm not ready to say he's a lock.

What would be great is if they could get Hoyer to accept a move to the PS. Not sure he'd do it at this stage of his career, but that would give them the mentorship and scout team value in practice, be an emergency #3, but free up a spot on the 53 for one more skill position guy. If that happened, Johnson is here without a doubt, IMO.

Will be sad if Smith /Henry duo isn’t able to play together most games this year.

We won the Super Bowl so it took all the sting out of it, but that was a huge disappointment for me in 2016. I really wanted to see Gronk and Bennett out there together, but it was never really able to happen. Henry/Smith aren't as good a duo overall, but it would be the same kind of disappointment for sure.

You could definitely be right, it's really hard to judge right now. I'm just not convinced that there's a ton of snaps for a FB in the offense this year, so a guy that is ONLY a FB would have to be really, really good at it. And I like Johnson, I think he's done a pretty good job, but he's not James Develin (yet), so I'm not ready to say he's a lock.

What would be great is if they could get Hoyer to accept a move to the PS. Not sure he'd do it at this stage of his career, but that would give them the mentorship and scout team value in practice, be an emergency #3, but free up a spot on the 53 for one more skill position guy. If that happened, Johnson is here without a doubt, IMO.

If both Mac & Cam are healthy at the end of TC (and Mac isn't totally sucking during the pre-season games - which I would wager doesn't happen if I were a betting man), then I don't see the need to keep Hoyer on the 53 anyway.

If both Mac & Cam are healthy at the end of TC (and Mac isn't totally sucking during the pre-season games - which I would wager doesn't happen if I were a betting man), then I don't see the need to keep Hoyer on the 53 anyway.

The only value I could see there would be is if Cam is the starter and you don't feel he'll last a full 17 game season. Then you really need a 3rd QB and, though Hoyer inspires confidence in no one, by the time you get to third stringers he's about what you'd expect.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back