PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Huge Defensive Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think most people weren't really worried about it. You had the usual vocal freakouts, and a lot of people were probably frustrated because they didn't hit the ground running, but I doubt there was really a high percentage of people who thought the first four weeks was truly indicative of this year's Patriots defense or team.

Through four weeks, the Pats were 32nd in the NFL in points allowed. They are now 18th. Massive move up. Wouldn't be shocked if they finish top 10 when all is said and done.

I would be shocked. The hardest part of their schedule has yet to be played.

I would be shocked. The hardest part of their schedule has yet to be played.

IMHO, the offenses that we have left are not as good as the ones that we have played.

The teams may or may not be better. With Buffalo having a good year, the teams may be better.

I agree with mgteich.

Here are the offensive rankings of the Pats' opponents, through week 8:

Team: Pts, Yds
KC: 3, 3
NO: 6, 2
Hou: 1, 10
Car: 23, 21
TB: 18, 4
NYJ: 21, 23
Atl: 15, 5
LAC: 22, 17
AVG: 13.6, 10.6

Den: 24, 15
Oak: 19, 20
Mia: 32, 32
Buf: 15, 25
Pit: 20, 11
AVG: 22.3, 22.9

It's not close in terms of the offenses they'll face the rest of the way compared to what they've already faced.

IMHO, the offenses that we have left are not as good as the ones that we have played.

The teams may or may not be better. With Buffalo having a good year, the teams may be better.

I'm not talking about the teams they're going to play. A month and a half on the road will wear on any team. Including two games in extremely high elevations.

I agree with mgteich.

Here are the offensive rankings of the Pats' opponents, through week 8:

KC: 3, 3
NO: 6, 2
Hou: 1, 10
Car: 23, 21
TB: 18, 4
Atl: 15, 5
LAC: 22, 17
AVG: 13.6, 10.6

Den: 24, 15
Oak: 19, 20
Pit: 20, 11
AVG: 22.3, 22.9

It's not close in terms of the offenses they'll face the rest of the way compared to what they've already faced.

That's all subject to change. Those teams could get a few blowout wins and move up the rankings before the Pats play them.

And. again, it's not the teams, it's the travel.

We will what this team could do after the bye. At Denver and Oakland won't be easy even though both those teams have been struggling.

We will what this team could do after the bye. At Denver and Oakland won't be easy even though both those teams have been struggling.

Denver has a pretty stifling defense. Their run defense is top. They blow up plays behind the line quite often. Hopefully our offense has its footing when they play.

Oakland just hasn't looked all that terrifying to me. A lesser version of last year's Falcons, BB/TB have a pretty good track record against teams that may have a high-octane offense but a weak defense.

I expect the defense (and offense) to keep improving. Pass rush help and a Hightower replacement aren't coming. Ive made my peace with it. If McClellin comes back that will help for depth purposes. Having Gilmore and Rowe back at some point will be a big boost too. Maybe we will get lucky and Valentine will be back or Trevor Reilly will step up.

It wasn't that long ago when we had gloom and doomers posting that the Falcons would score 50 on our defense,

It wasn't that long ago when we had gloom and doomers posting that the Falcons would score 50 on our defense,
Yup.

Now, it only the elevation, and playing away from home, that can beat the patriot defense. :)

I'm not talking about the teams they're going to play. A month and a half on the road will wear on any team. Including two games in extremely high elevations.
We are playing Denver and Oakland consecutively after a bye. That is not exactly terrible.

The other terrible run of away games are all relatively short trips: BUF, MIA and PITT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes