PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Howe: Pats Ecstatic with Mac this Offseason (so far)

I love this:

This is great. One of the things I noticed about Stidham was he didn't have the work ethic in the offseason. He and his wife spent a lot of time vacationing and living the good life. He paid no attention to his diet and was eating crap every day (the stuff normal people would eat, not athletes).

Last edited:

Not sure if he just means for himself and getting to know his team better compared to last year or if he means something else about last year. Interesting comments.

My guess (though it's just that) is that it's a little bit of both. Not necessarily that there were definite problems last year, though we heard some reports, but just that there were so many guys who were not only new to the team but also new to each other, and it was probably hard for a rookie QB to really gel everyone the way he would have liked.

I feel the Cam experiment was detrimental to his development, he had to share first team reps with someone who could not throw anymore, was given the impression that he was not a starter, got to waste his time with backups and not developing the chemistry needed with those that he was actually going to throw to. Plus a few key players decided to skip OTAs and got found out for not knowing the playbook.. J. Smith.

I think I disagree that it was detrimental, though I do agree there would have been pros and cons to both methods. I always want rookies to have to earn their role on the team. These are guys (typically) who have been top dogs for probably the last ten years of the football lives. If they show up first day of camp and get handed a starting job, then yes they would get more valuable reps, but you also run the risk that they're not ready and haven't put in the work. Not to mention it makes him look bad in front of his teammates, who from all reports really liked Cam. Newton was a subpar QB, but he provided a floor that Mac had to prove he was above so that everyone knew he won the job. That has value, IMO.

I think I disagree that it was detrimental, though I do agree there would have been pros and cons to both methods. I always want rookies to have to earn their role on the team. These are guys (typically) who have been top dogs for probably the last ten years of the football lives. If they show up first day of camp and get handed a starting job, then yes they would get more valuable reps, but you also run the risk that they're not ready and haven't put in the work. Not to mention it makes him look bad in front of his teammates, who from all reports really liked Cam. Newton was a subpar QB, but he provided a floor that Mac had to prove he was above so that everyone knew he won the job. That has value, IMO.

Agreed. It's a way bigger motivation to beat someone out for the starting job than to just get it handed to you. Cam Newton was the incumbent for a reason. He's a veteran QB with way more experience and a former MVP to boot. He's also very charismatic and I haven't heard a single negative thing said about him by Patriots players and staff. They liked Cam Newton. But Mac won the job coming out of training camp and preseason. And I believe that's a good thing because it forced Mac to grow and compete against a veteran QB.

Whether you believe it or not, the chip has to be there in some form or another. First it was being the 5th QB taken in the 1st round and proving that Mac Jones deserved to be selected by the Patriots. Then it was beating out Cam Newton for the starting job. Now will the chip be to continue to improve so Bailey Zappe doesn't get his job? What next? There's always gotta be a next one. When you watch the greats like Brady, they create their own motivation, nobody else needs to motivate them to be the best, to compete at the highest levels.

… Now will the chip be to continue to improve so Bailey Zappe doesn't get his job? What next? There's always gotta be a next one. When you watch the greats like Brady, they create their own motivation, nobody else needs to motivate them to be the best, to compete at the highest levels.
All any of them have to do is look at the talking heads and supposed experts dissing everything about the team. If having the world told that some commentator considers the Patriots’ offense his “biggest concern” in the entire NFL doesn’t motivate them I’m not sure what would. Maybe reading some of the posters on here?

The guy you tout averaged 7.8 yds/catch, sweet 'deep wheel routes' included'
The guy you minimize averaged 9.9 yds.

Also kinda of bizarre is how you diminish Boldens three 50+ yds receiving games (2 vs playoff bound teams) yet you conveniently fail to mention White had zero 50 yd games receiving while healthy.

Truly one of the worst stat supported arguments I've seen on this board
Poor stats based argument, all right. At the end of the day, Mac certainly missed White last season. And I think with White returning, J.J. Taylor facing more competition, and the Strong kid...maybe even Keene catching balls....we should see more production from our 3rd down backs.

Mac's rankings for checkdowns:

Mac was a top 10 QB last year in how often he checked down. Trevor Lawrence was first.

Seems that Mac didn't check down that much on 3rd down. That's interesting since he was under so much pressure early in the season.

Mac's rankings for checkdowns:

Mac was a top 10 QB last year in how often he checked down. Trevor Lawrence was first.

Seems that Mac didn't check down that much on 3rd down. That's interesting since he was under so much pressure early in the season.

Highest check down rate is 11% and #10 on the list is 8%, so Trevor Lawrence checks down 3 passes in 100 more than #10 on the list? Is 3 passes out of 100 significant? Seems a non-story to me.

Sounds like a franchise QB

Given his general intelligence -- 2020 #1 NCAA scholar athlete in all sports -- and reputed football intelligence, it would not be surprising if Mac early on in his career starts calling his own plays, especially when cursed with an inexperienced offensive coach. But no way he has the time or experience to build a game plan, even though he will likely be a significant contributor.

Wait, what? Was he in some kind of super advanced program? The competition is going to be guys on three year tracks to finish very difficult degrees at Ivy Schools, and engineering schools, and military academies. How can he have even had access to anything like that at Alabama, and given the time demands of being the #1 QB on the #1 team?

I love me some Mac J., but I don't get this at all.

Here is the truth. No one heres knows crap about Mac Jones outside of the fact he isn't a complete bust. He had a solid rookie year, but i've seen plenty of QBs have a solid rookie year and then totally fall off the rails. I've also seen plenty of QBs have a solid rookie year and then make big year 2 leaps. No one knows for sure what will happen with Mac at this point. Any reports in Spring or Summer will likely be positive, as they are for any player. We will have SOME idea once preseason hits, but not really until the regular season starts and the bullets start flying.

I'm hopeful on Mac, he was my 2nd favorite QB coming out last year, I was high on him then and I will stay high on him now. But I will say what I have said time and time again, and my opinion WILL NEVER CHANGE. You either have a great QB, or you try to upgrade that position. A top 16 QB does little for you. A top 10 QB does little for you. Top 5? Now we're talking. I have absolutely no interest in making the playoffs most years in a now over inflated 14 team format only to be bounced before the final 4 year after year in the hopes that somehow someway the sky parts in a rare example of a team without an elite QB or an elite D winning the championship, which is the exception and not the rule. Particularly when you pay a good ti middling QB the big bucks.

Until Mac proves he is a great QB I say hold him on his rookie deal and try hard as we can to break through while we have the advantage of a massively underpaid QB, which looking at the rest of the 52, we are not taking advantage of. If come year 5 he shows he isn't that level of guy, trade him for as many first round picks as we can and try again. Anything else is settling for mediocrity or playing against long odds.

Wait, what? Was he in some kind of super advanced program? The competition is going to be guys on three year tracks to finish very difficult degrees at Ivy Schools, and engineering schools, and military academies. How can he have even had access to anything like that at Alabama, and given the time demands of being the #1 QB on the #1 team?

I love me some Mac J., but I don't get this at all.
He got a degree in Communications w/ a 4.0
He then stayed an extra year & got a masters in sports hospitality.
Hardly advanced programs but not familiar w/ the criteria.

I never read much into this stuff. They're saying what they're supposed to say. The season just ended 4 months ago so not a ton has changed. Gets you a bit hyped for the season, that's about it.

He got a degree in Communications w/ a 4.0
He then stayed an extra year & got a masters in sports hospitality.
Hardly advanced programs but not familiar w/ the criteria.
He smiles a lot during interviews so he is bringing the lessons to life. ; )

Interesting listening to Lazar & his co-host on today's youtube thing they do about Zappe. They both agreed Zappe was slinging the ball. One said he has a cannon. Lazar mentioned that we already know what we have with Hoyer and Mac, so seeing Zappe was interesting but that he would never be the starter (cause Mac). This tells me Mac's arm strength (ball speed) hasn't improved that much over last season.

Amazing and telling that before I even read the posts of certain people here I already know it will be a negative vibe. Says a lot about the person.

You mean the vassals of Lord Dis Array's Tampa Bay Buccaneers fiefdom (forum). These are the folks who want the Patriots to fail, especially at quarterback, because Tom Brady. Whenever a thread like this happens they descend a la Pavlovian response to someone ringing a bell.

Lol

8 pages and counting - fascinating....
And I am guilty of reading all of the posts in one sitting....I need a life...I think...or...I have a problem...not sure which it is?

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back