PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How will Denver cover the TE's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they put 7 - 8 in coverage then we need to run the ball with Ridley!!! Audible and run. I swear if we did that last year we'd be in the SB!!! For some reason the team did not adjust vs. NYJ.

I highly doubt it. From every Broncos game I've seen, (which admittedly, haven't been many) Fox seems to go as standard as they come. I mean remember when he wouldn't go for it on 4 and 1 against the Pats?

The way I see it, is I think they know they have to keep the ball in order to keep the Pats scoring in a manageable range. And every time they go for it and make it on a 4th and short they are essentially "stealing a possesion". I think they know that the Pats offense is more than likely going to score on any drive starting outside of their own 30.

I think Fox is at by the book as they come....but he is really playing with house money at this point. Why not take a gamble especially early on and try to put points on the board while taking a little wind out of the sails of the Pats and the crowd?

If they put 7 - 8 in coverage then we need to run the ball with Ridley!!! Audible and run. I swear if we did that last year we'd be in the SB!!! For some reason the team did not adjust vs. NYJ.

Soyry but i want to see BJGE run it..i trust him with ball security more than Ridley

Soyry but i want to see BJGE run it..i trust him with ball security more than Ridley

I agree on short yardage and the red zone but Ridley is more of a game breaker I think. Either way give it to BJGE, Ridley or Woohead but run the damn ball our line and TEs are huge compared to undersized Denver.

yes...if it's 4th and 1 on the 50..i think they go for it....i see this as really they only way they have a chance

Bradys 1st qtr stats the past 3 playoff games

Comp-Att 13-26
Pass yds 115
TD-Int 0-3
Passer rtg 22.6

Right, what do they have to lose? If they botch the punt and it ends up being a touchback, you gain minimal field position in the grand scheme of things. Regardless of what has been said about the Broncos defense, they are simply not that good. Which leads me to another point. The Pats are not playing the 2007 Giants monster D-line, the Ravens or the Jets defense this game. They are playing a below average defense, that somehow the media has fooled people into believing is very good.

They are the ying to our yang. Everyone talks about our 31st ranked defense as being terrible. Yet their 20th ranked defense is somehow unbelievable despite allowing 3 more points a game. :confused:

Right, what do they have to lose? If they botch the punt and it ends up being a touchback, you gain minimal field position in the grand scheme of things. Regardless of what has been said about the Broncos defense, they are simply not that good. Which leads me to another point. The Pats are not playing the 2007 Giants monster D-line, the Ravens or the Jets defense this game. They are playing a below average defense, that somehow the media has fooled people into believing is very good.

They are the ying to our yang. Everyone talks about our 31st ranked defense as being terrible. Yet their 20th ranked defense is somehow unbelievable despite allowing 3 more points a game. :confused:

In Brady's defense the last three games were against NYG (tough D), NYJ (tough D) and the DAMN RAVENS minus Welker. I give him count them, three mulligans as he was hurt in two of them as well with a bad foot and ribs. Am I a homer? Yes! Still this is factual.

I think, knock on wood this is our best Brady and O Line in terms of health and our deepest running back position. HAS to count for something, right?

Yup. This is what Denver should do. Make NE dink and dunk down the field and shorten the game. Don't know if they have the personnel to play this, but they should dare the Pats to run or commit to the run when given to them.

Yup. This is what Denver should do. Make NE dink and dunk down the field and shorten the game. Don't know if they have the personnel to play this, but they should dare the Pats to run or commit to the run when given to them.

I agree and I am glad we are three deep at RB with Ridley, Woodhead and BJGE and can screen well with Hernandez and Welker AND run reverses with Edelman. The offense is POTENT!!!!

BRING IT!!!

I agree with you, I was saying that last game, they were really hyping Denvers D, at least some of the mediots were. I think we may see more running from the Pats this game than we've seen in the past. Not falling behind this time would give them a chance to do that.

Herm Edwards says they need to bracket Welker, hit Gronk off the line and cover AHern with Champ Bailey. Assuming you have a single high safety, someone covering the opposite WR and a LB with responsibility for the RB sliding out of the backfield, that is 7 people in coverage with the guy chucking Gronk delaying his pass rush to slow Gronk's release. That leaves a 3-man initial rush and still results in single coverage on Branch/Ocho, Gronk and the RB. That also leaves the Broncos exposed to draw plays since the LBs would be stretched thin. Now throw in some bunch formations if they show zone or movement if they show man....

Ding Ding! You are the winner. This is exactly the game plan they are discussing here in Denver this week. Hernandez WILL be covered by Bailey. They will not let him beat them again. This means Branch had better have a huge game because the opportunities will be there. Is he healthy? Which running back will get the start? I think they made the wrong choice last season. If they had given the ball to the Firm instead of little danny woodhead they might have beaten the Jets.

If there's really no good answer, why not cover them the same as the first game? It was the 2nd quarter turnovers that did them in.

If there's really no good answer, why not cover them the same as the first game? It was the 2nd quarter turnovers that did them in.

Not sure about that. I keep hearing this, but yet in the 2nd half the Pats stopped them on 3 out of 4 drives. There is nothing to indicate based on the rest of the game that the would have moved the ball on those drives. Not to mention two of the three turnovers were forced. For some reason some people don't want to give credit to the Pats D for stripping the ball.

What part of "Don't Gronk me bro" cannot be understood?

Not sure about that. I keep hearing this, but yet in the 2nd half the Pats stopped them on 3 out of 4 drives. There is nothing to indicate based on the rest of the game that the would have moved the ball on those drives. Not to mention two of the three turnovers were forced. For some reason some people don't want to give credit to the Pats D for stripping the ball.

Exactly! Many of the Denver fans believe that the Broncos lost the game because they turned the ball over three times. While this of course played a huge role in the Patriots building a lead and ultimately going on to win, most people don't want to credit the Patriots defense getting these takeaways. If I recall correctly, at least one and possibly two of the turnovers were forced. Even then someone on the Patriots D had to fall on or fight for the loose ball. Plenty of people have said that the Broncos basically handed them these turnovers with the D playing no part in taking them away. The Patriots were +17 in turnover differential on defense (3rd in the NFL, 2nd in interceptions and 4th in forced fumbles) and yet no one mentions that.

they should double team gronk, welker, and hernandez, single cover branch and whichever running back we have in, and send a 4 man rush. If my math is correct thats all 12 guys.

As I'm watching the Patriots @Broncos replay of NFLN, I'm thinking we'll have our answer in 24 hours. Can't wait.

Herm Edwards says they need to bracket Welker, hit Gronk off the line and cover AHern with Champ Bailey. Assuming you have a single high safety, someone covering the opposite WR and a LB with responsibility for the RB sliding out of the backfield, that is 7 people in coverage with the guy chucking Gronk delaying his pass rush to slow Gronk's release. That leaves a 3-man initial rush and still results in single coverage on Branch/Ocho, Gronk and the RB. That also leaves the Broncos exposed to draw plays since the LBs would be stretched thin. Now throw in some bunch formations if they show zone or movement if they show man...

Well the Broncos need to hope for a Brady clunker game.

That TE combination is downright scary.

Really the Broncos only hope is to limit Brady's opportunities, try to disrupt him with pressure up the middle and hope for a few lucky breaks/turnovers.

Our safeties seem to be playing better, but without a healthy Dawkins, it'll be real tough to pull out this win.

Last edited:
Re: How will Denver cover the TE's?

Poorly, one hopes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand