PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How the hell did J.C. Jackson go undrafted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was after his rookie year, so I'm not sure where things stand now.

But his PT has increased from 38% to 65%.
I think we have our answer.

In 2020 I don't expect JC to come off the field.

Love JC. Such good ball skills and plays physical.

It seemed like he was getting picked on a bit last week, since he was forced to play a lot of slot. Was it a bad performance statistically or did it just feel like it?

Love JC. Such good ball skills and plays physical.

It seemed like he was getting picked on a bit last week, since he was forced to play a lot of slot. Was it a bad performance statistically or did it just feel like it?
No it happened but I don't think it was terrible by any means. Because JMC and JJ were both down they needed to match up JC with Beasley. With that said I think Beasley's yards were when the NEP were in a "prevent" type and everything was kept in front of them. With that said, JC was 3-8 for 50yds and 2 PDs which all things considered is pretty damn good.

My hot take is JC is a bordering-on-elite boundary defender but maybe when it comes to "slot" receivers which have different techniques in getting open and the receivers are a bit quicker and more shifty he isn't quite as sticky. Gilly seems to be a bit better at defending the slot. Hopefully its more about him improving and not a physical impediment.

Considering how many first round picks don't pan out, I guess it would be safe to say that the draft has a good amount of guessing, imperfection and luck. Including who doesn't get picked.

Since CBs spend a good amount of time running backwards, sideways, their head in the wrong direction, arms occupied, etc., do they measure that kind of stuff in the combine? Folks like to talk about 40 speed even though running flat out in shorts in a straight line focused just on running isn't the majority of football.

My hot take is JC is a bordering-on-elite boundary defender but maybe when it comes to "slot" receivers which have different techniques in getting open and the receivers are a bit quicker and more shifty he isn't quite as sticky. Gilly seems to be a bit better at defending the slot. Hopefully its more about him improving and not a physical impediment.

May honestly just be something he lacks a bit of experience in defending too. When he's mostly tasked with defending on the outside and then suddenly has to defend a pretty decent slot player in a prevent-type situation, those are all things he hasn't necessarily done a lot of yet. As he gains experience I wouldn't be shocked to see him get better at that, too.

May honestly just be something he lacks a bit of experience in defending too. When he's mostly tasked with defending on the outside and then suddenly has to defend a pretty decent slot player in a prevent-type situation, those are all things he hasn't necessarily done a lot of yet. As he gains experience I wouldn't be shocked to see him get better at that, too.
Agree. I recall BB saying why JMC played more vs the Rams was because he had more experience defending in zone coverage.

One improvement hes made this year are his penalties. Last year he had about 10 penalties in 16 games. This year its 6 in 15 and 200 more snaps. Clearly he has the ability to improve his technique. Route recognition and learning WR tendencies comes with experience.

Last edited:
The Gilmore/Jackson duo might surpass the great Mike Haynes/Raymond Clayborn combination of the late 70s, eartly 80s.

The difference could be the winning.

Considering how many first round picks don't pan out, I guess it would be safe to say that the draft has a good amount of guessing, imperfection and luck. Including who doesn't get picked.

Since CBs spend a good amount of time running backwards, sideways, their head in the wrong direction, arms occupied, etc., do they measure that kind of stuff in the combine? Folks like to talk about 40 speed even though running flat out in shorts in a straight line focused just on running isn't the majority of football.

His ability to keep up the speed and see the pass coming on long passes is special. I haven't seen it a lot these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back