PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much of a role will Brady have in re-signing Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
We know Tom loves mini-tron. Patriots QB Tom Brady on Julian Edelman: 'I'm just proud of him' - ESPN Boston
""Free agency and stuff, that takes time to develop. And I know how difficult a task it is for our team to make decisions like this, and we’ve had to make a lot of tough decisions over the years. All those things sort themselves out. Coach Belichick is the one that makes all those tough decisions. I love [Edelman], he’s one of my best pals, I spent a lot of time with him. I’m just proud of him for everything that he’s accomplished. He deserves the best.""

After losing Welker last year to a rival and seeing Gronk go down again, out of the elite QBs, TB has the weakest weapons. I'm thinking this year Brady pushes BB/Kraft to re-signing JE.

He is the QB not the GM.

Also, if Brady could ask something for Santa Claus he would ask for a defense.

I'm guessing TB12 will sit in on negotiations between BB, Kraft, Caserio and JE's agent. He'll advise JE on what he should do and how far to push it. Then TB12 will advise the Patriots front office on what they should do. He'll be the mediator for it, I think.

Or he might just be in California during it all, enjoying his offseason while trying to make himself better.

none...........

Beat me to it, Brady couldn't get them to re-sign welker even though he re-did his deal hoping they would do just that. This comes down to what Edelman would take to stay here because he will get better offers elsewhere.

Lets not be crazy, you don't think if Rodgers, Brees, Manning, TB speak they have some influence. After the season on offense we just had, you don't think Brady will have a role. QBs play a role in free agency as well, you don't think Manning called up Welker in the off-season.

He is the QB not the GM.

Also, if Brady could ask something for Santa Claus he would ask for a defense.

The Patriots were top 10 points allowed despite being decimated by injuries. They should have a very good defense next season but still need to keep building it up.

None. Exactly as much of a role as he had in re-signing Welker.

Not much, if any. BB runs the team.

Lets not be crazy, you don't think if Rodgers, Brees, Manning, TB speak they have some influence. After the season on offense we just had, you don't think Brady will have a role. QBs play a role in free agency as well, you don't think Manning called up Welker in the off-season.

That's exactly what I think. And you don't have to take any of our words for it. Brady has outright said that he doesn't try to play general manager:

Tom Brady not surprised Wes Welker left New England Patriots - ESPN Boston

"Of course I have feelings, but those feelings are very personal to me," he said. "I used to get caught up in angry and disappointment, but I don't make the decisions. These things aren't up to me. At some point you've got to realize the things that are out of your control, you've just got to let go, focus on my job and what I need to do. The game moves on, the team moves on, there's only so long you can dwell on the past, and at some point you've got to move forward.

"Like I said, my job for my team is to be the best quarterback and not the general manager, not the coach and not the owner," Brady added. "It's to try to go out there and bring my own competitiveness to the field so that those guys that I'm playing with this year can rely on me and count on me to be the best I can be."

Before the start of free agency, Brady agreed to a three-year contract extension through 2017 that created more than $15 million in cap space during the next two league years. When asked if the extension was motivated in part to create financial flexibility to ensure that Welker was re-signed, Brady rebuffed that he made such a request.

"Those aren't my demands," he replied. "I want us to field as competitive a team as we can. And I have all the trust in the world that Mr. Kraft and Jonathan [Kraft] and Coach Belichick do that. There's nothing about me, I don't say that, I'm not general manger. I can't say, 'I do this, you do this.' That's what my decision was. It was kind of a value proposition for me and wanting to be in this system with Coach Belichick and the other players that I've been able to play with.

How much of a role will Brady play?

Probably as much as he played in re-signing Branch and Welker. :)

1. Not directly, but, as I've noted before, Tom Brady's agent is also Julian Edelman's agent.

2. I think the Patriots also understand that they just can't keep forcing Brady to start over with his pass catchers.

1. Not directly, but, as I've noted before, Tom Brady's agent is also Julian Edelman's agent.

2. I think the Patriots also understand that they just can't keep forcing Brady to start over with his pass catchers.

hes not starting over, he has 3 2nd year guys(2 of which played a ton of snaps in their rookie years) as well as his 2nd year with amendola, Gronk should be healthy for week 1.

minitron is as good as gone, he earned a big payday, and the patriots just dont have the cap space to spend on him this year.

Honestly, I think Brady will have little to no role in resigning Edelman. We all assumed BB would resign Wax Weakler (or what ever Tunescribe calls him :D ) last season because of the friendship he has with Brady and we all know how that turned out.

If I were Brady - I use my pull to get the Jets to sign him at $7M/season.

None. He lost his best friend Welker, Patriots didn't resign his reliable target in Branch back then, and not to mention Moss and Milloy. Brady has no say he's more focuses on making himself better.

Zero. Have we learnt nothing from Welker and Branch?

I do not think Brady will have any direct impact in terms of calling up Kraft or Belichick and saying you have to resign Edelman. That said I certainly hope that the Kraft and Belichick consider that the window is closing on Brady’s career and turning over his top target at age 36 and then again at age 37 is not the best way to position this team to win a Super Bowl.

They clearly need to do a better job surrounding Brady with talent that is reliable, these are the WR and TE acquisitions over the past 2 off seasons.

• Anthony Gonzalez
• Jabar Gaffney
• Donte Stallworth
• Brandon Lloyd
• Greg Salas
• Chad Ochocinco
• Deion Branch
• Michael Jenkins
• Matthew Mulligan
• Austin Collie
• LaQuan Williams
• Daniel Fells
• Johnathan Haggerty
• Lavelle Hawkins
• Michael Hoomanawanui
• Donald Jones
• Danny Amendola
• Visanthe Shiancoe
• Kellen Winslow
• Deion Branch
• Tiquan Underwood

1. Yes, Brady can talk to his agent and try to have the agent convince Edelman to take less than market from the patriots. Of course, the agent has a conflict of interest and should do no such thing.

2. The team used two top draft picks, brought in several free agents, and brought in UDFA's in the 2013 re-do of the wide receiver position. [In addition, they signed a new slot receiver through 2017]. Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Harrison and Moe are all still here.

Bringing BACK six receivers is hardly starting over. Obviously, bringing back Edelman and Collie would likely give Brady more comfort than going out and signing a Sanders. He would have ZERO changes. Having one new face instead of Edelman (or instead of Amendola) would NOT be starting over.

None whatsoever.

Bill Belichick would rather keep stiffs on the roster such as Steve Gregory, Adrian Wilson, Isaac Sopoaga than pay Julian Edelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes