PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much does this SB loss damage Peyton Manning's legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool stats in an opinion discussion, I guess.

The Broncos lost to the better team. The 2007 Patriots choked to an inferior team. But to each his own.

It's a weird debate to have when we should all be celebrating the demise of Manning like the small, petty people we are. I sure am.

IMO anyone who followed the 2007 Pats in the last month and a half of the season would have been a lot less surprised about what happened in SB 42 than anyone who didn't.

After last night...

I don't think it is even close anymore. No credible argument can be made for Peyton to be close to Brady on the all time list. Brady is the greatest QB of this era and top two all time behind only Montana.

Peyton's legacy took a major hit and I think he is now outside top 5 all time. Even when the pats lose, we win.

Re: After last night...

I don't think it is even close anymore. No credible argument can be made for Peyton to be close to Brady on the all time list. Brady is the greatest QB of this era and top two all time behind only Montana.

Peyton's legacy took a major hit and I think he is now outside top 5 all time. Even when the pats lose, we win.
I'm not sure how Brady losing in the AFCCG and Manning winning the AFCCG then losing in the SB widens the gap.
I think there was no contest before, and still is, however, this will have an impact on the people who got it wrong to begin with.
Manning's 'legacy' improved in 2013, it was his second best postseason ever, and he escaped the one and done finish for the 4th time. He is still miles behind Brady, but its silly to act like he got worst by getting to a SB and losing.

the way it could be construed as worse as it relates to Brady would be
how Peyton couldnt do anything against a great D while Brady took hits, made plays and was gritty to the end against 2 great Giant Ds ( DLs at least)

the way it could be construed as worse as it relates to Brady would be
how Peyton couldnt do anything against a great D while Brady took hits, made plays and was gritty to the end against 2 great Giant Ds ( DLs at least)
I'm talking about this year. Its ridiculous to say losing in the SB widens the gap behind the guy who lost in the AFCCG.
Manning played better than Brady yesterday.
The larger point though, is that it was never close to begin with, so Manning improving his legacy this year, and closing the gap a little bit still leaves him miles behind Brady.
The only way Manning ever belongs in the argument is when people add hypothetically giving him credit for something he did not do. i.e. If Manning won the SB this year it would put him in the argument.
That's like saying if Andy Dalton wins the next 5 he will be considered the GOAT.

L73B9Sh.jpg

I wonder what happens if they did that 15 days ago. I doubt our d even gets back there to pick it up. Denver probably still gets the 1st down.

Manning and Brady are both great. I give Brady the slight edge for his ability to play in the elements. That being said, it's teams that win championships, not QBS, so Bradys 3-1 edge in that department is not the deciding factor for me.

i'm getting tired of this debates. basically this debate will never end until both of them retires.

1. what happens peyton finally comes through and win SB while playing great?
2. What happens if peyton wins SB & another regular season MVP?
3. what happens Brady never wins another playoff game?
4. what happens if Brady wins a SB, but peyton wins 2 more?

debate will only end if both retires. If somehow peyton won last night, every damn manning fans would've crowned him as the GOAT. remember how everyone was ready to crown brady as the GOAT if we beat the giants first time?

i'm telling you guys. this debate is never over from media & fans perspective.

right now everybody is crapping on peyton rightfully so. but again, he still has 2 years maybe even 3 years left in him.

brady - i hope our golden boy has 5 years left in him. and just shut everyone up by winning 1 more SB.

Manning's a notch above Marino.

Out of curiosity why do you think that? I know they will lose guys (like any other team) but I still say they will be the top team in the AFC next season. Manning has a great shot of getting to the SB next season.

Denver played the NFC Least this year. Next year they play the NFC West. Good chance they won;t get through that gauntlet unscathed with HFA. Hopefully we can re-sign a few of our key guys and stay healthy for the stretch run.

Maybe BB should treat Gronk the way Pete Carroll treated Percy Harvin this season and save him for the games that count the most. Save the beast for the playoffs! Lol.

remember how everyone was ready to crown brady as the GOAT if we beat the giants first time?

Brady would have been the GOAT had they prevailed over the Giants the first time around. He would have boasted a 4-0 record in superbowls, the first 19-0 season in NFL history, and had a 15-2 record in the postseason.

Sigh. :Cry:

It cements his legacy, he is, without question, the Greatest Regular Season Quaterback, Of All Time.

He took himself out of the conversation for GOAT and will never get back in it unless he runs off 2-3 Lombardi's to end his career, and obviously that is as long a shot as they get. The Bronco's gambled on this season and are going to start losing pieces starting this offseason.

The GOAT discussion is now down to two quarterbacks, Brady and Montana, and while montana still has the edge among most brady alone has the opportunity to unseat him. I think he plays at least 3 more seasons, if not 4, and he has a really good shot at another Lombardi, and would surpass Montana in every other quarterbacking category.

It's impossible for his legacy or any legacy to remain intact after a loss of this magnitude.his legacy is dented, how big is the dent is up for debate.

No 10 char

well where have you been?

4 championships in 7 years after having 19-0 season with TD record? Brady would've been the GOAT by many. including brady haters.

that was the narrative.

1 stupid freaky play changed all that.

i have brady #1, but many still have joe montana as #1 because of 1 stupid play.

I'm not sure how Brady losing in the AFCCG and Manning winning the AFCCG then losing in the SB widens the gap.
I think there was no contest before, and still is, however, this will have an impact on the people who got it wrong to begin with.
Manning's 'legacy' improved in 2013, it was his second best postseason ever, and he escaped the one and done finish for the 4th time. He is still miles behind Brady, but its silly to act like he got worst by getting to a SB and losing.

It was the way he lost. 2 INTs, a pick 6 and a fumble. If they lost by even 10 in a hard fought game that would be one thing but this was an embarrassment of epic proportions.

Watching NFL AM and they were all saying this doesn't affect his legacy because the game was so lopsided. Seahawks clearly had the better team...lol seriously? When the team is playing good it's all Manning, but when it's not it's cuz his team sucks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised...:bricks:

When Manning does this below...you clearly know it's on Manning...closing your eyes and throwing it...the media will conveniently ignore that fact. Brady would never do something so foolish when they're still in the game.

ku-xlarge.gif

Mannings two picks were boneheaded plays. throwing up ducks up for grabs when he really shouldve taken the sack. and it lead to a pick six

its what he does though....remember the playoff loss against the ravens. it was manning throwing on the move right into a defender. or against NOL when he threw a pick six to seal the game.

I'm talking about this year. Its ridiculous to say losing in the SB widens the gap behind the guy who lost in the AFCCG.

Ordinarily, I might agree with you, but I think there is definite difference between "losing" a Super Bowl, and what happened last night. Had it been just a matter of playing okay (or even "not great") but losing a competitive game, that's one thing. Manning actually embarrassed himself out there. I'm not just saying that to be a d!ck either. His play was beyond bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back