PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many players will the Pats draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's an interesting and important question; IIRC, the Pats started with a bunch of extra picks in the 2005 draft, as well, and basically pushed them into 2006.

If I've done my math correctly, the Pats have a total of nine picks (Pats' 1st, Pats' 2nd, Baltimore's 3rd, Pats' 3rd, Detroit's 4th, Pats' 4th, Oakland's 5th, Pats' 6th, Pats' 7th) plus any comp picks the NFL awards (which cannot be traded, anyways).

So--of New England's tradeable picks, how many do you think will be used on picking players?

Good question...I think all signs point to quite a large Patriot draft class. They seemed to systematically move picks out of last year's weak draft toward this year's strong draft. (One of the luxuries that only a stable management team can afford!) Plus this year there's scarcely a position on the team without room for a rookie.

I'll guess a total of 9+.

Believe it is SOP for Pats to wheel and deal for future picks, so am sure they will be stockpiling some futures (if at all possible) for 2007.

bosfan said:
Believe it is SOP for Pats to wheel and deal for future picks, so am sure they will be stockpiling some futures (if at all possible) for 2007.

It is SOP, but at some point you have to cash in. To me, this looks like the year...unless next year is projected to be equally strong. Anybody heard any projections?

This year will probably be a strong year for draft picks but I think the Pats will balance some draft with trading for future and using picks for vet trades. There will be a balance of Rooks with some new vets brought in.

I think it's too early to say if they will keep picks or trade picks. The Compensatory Picks will have a big impact. If we get three picks (Andruzzi, Patten, Klemm) then we will have 12 picks. Surely we would trde then. If BB needs to move up in a round to get somebody he really likes, he has the flexability to do that.

ctpatsfan77 said:
I think it's an interesting and important question; IIRC, the Pats started with a bunch of extra picks in the 2005 draft, as well, and basically pushed them into 2006.

If I've done my math correctly, the Pats have a total of nine picks (Pats' 1st, Pats' 2nd, Baltimore's 3rd, Pats' 3rd, Detroit's 4th, Pats' 4th, Oakland's 5th, Pats' 6th, Pats' 7th) plus any comp picks the NFL awards (which cannot be traded, anyways).

So--of New England's tradeable picks, how many do you think will be used on picking players?

Is it official that we kept Oakland's 5th round pick when we traded for Andre Davis since I can't find that info and Ian doesn't have it official, either.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Morse said:
I think it's too early to say if they will keep picks or trade picks. The Compensatory Picks will have a big impact. If we get three picks (Andruzzi, Patten, Klemm) then we will have 12 picks. Surely we would trde then. If BB needs to move up in a round to get somebody he really likes, he has the flexability to do that.

Well, we're not getting a pick for Klemm. We might end up with one pick for Andruzzi/Patten. Comp picks aren't necessarily given on a one-to-one basis. Plus that has to be balanced against the acquisitions. I think Beisel and Brown are in that group.

This draft is one of the deepest I've seen in a while. 2007 does not look to be nearly as good.

I still expect BB to move around the board, but I doubt we get 3 extra picks in 2007.

My guess is 8; 6 in the first five rounds and a couple of comp picks in the 6th and 7th.

As usual, I see us trading up and down, losing and gaining picks. Also, I expect that one pick will go in trade for a wide receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes