PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Many Draftees Will Be On The Squad For Game 3?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As is usually the case, I don't see very many of the late picks making the 53. I expect the first 4 draftees (anyone drafted in the first 4 rounds plus one or two others (later draftees and UDFA's).

Perhaps our first four picks are OT, RB, DT and WR (in any order). And yes, I expect us to have a 4th and a 5th.

After that, I think that almost everyone else is likely headed for the Practice Squad or another team. As you see from the above, I recognize that one or two late picks (or UDFA's) will likely surprise (perhaps an additional OL).

I think three will be n the roster by game three.

I believe that 3 would be the lowest number in recent years.

Given that every pick through the 4th has always made the team under Belichick, having only 3 make the team would require a change or on the picks being traded forward to 2017.

I'm thinking 4 or 5, still a very low number.

I hope this is not the case. The Patriots have a lot of contracts that expire after this year and
very few 2017 draft picks. This is the year to find replacements at CB, LB, DT, DE, and OT.

I hope this is not the case. The Patriots have a lot of contracts that expire after this year and
very few 2017 draft picks. This is the year to find replacements at CB, LB, DT, DE, and OT.

Many of the replacements are already on the team. It is NOT clear that we will carry 5th, 6th and 7th round draft picks on the team because we have 2017 needs at the positions, causing us to cut players who are currently much more valuable.

I think that we all expect the top 4 picks to make the team (though round 4 always make the team), and perhaps the 5th. I note that you mention 5 positions of 2017 need. After the fifth pick, it seems that everyone drafted is, and should be, a long shot to make the team.

Many of the replacements are already on the team. It is NOT clear that we will carry 5th, 6th and 7th round draft picks on the team because we have 2017 needs at the positions, causing us to cut players who are currently much more valuable.

I think that we all expect the top 4 picks to make the team (though round 4 always make the team), and perhaps the 5th. I note that you mention 5 positions of 2017 need. After the fifth pick, it seems that everyone drafted is, and should be, a long shot to make the team.
This might be a good year to draft a couple of players who drop way down because they are injured.
Stash them on IR until next year. So what if they count on the 90 man roster until cutdown time?

This might be a good year to draft a couple of players who drop way down because they are injured.
Stash them on IR until next year. So what if they count on the 90 man roster until cutdown time?
That's fine except for one slight hitch. I don't think that patriots have ever drafted a player who spent their rookie year on patriots IR and then were major contributors.

5 plus 2 UDFA

RB, DT, S, LB, OT, CB, CB...but I'm betting against a rookie WR making the team. I think BB thinks more highly of his receiving corps is than most fans do.

5 plus 2 UDFA

RB, DT, S, LB, OT, CB, CB...but I'm betting against a rookie WR making the team. I think BB thinks more highly of his receiving corps is than most fans do.

I don't think that anyone will beat out our 6 safeties for a spot on the 53.
Two rookie CB's seems extremely unlikely. Will they both beat out Roberts, Coleman and Biggers?
I expect us to sign at least one more veteran CB for camp.

The other 5 seem fine, although the RB (or two) may be secured through free agency. So, we agree with one fewer rookie CB making the 53.

I don't think that anyone will beat out our 6 safeties for a spot on the 53.
Sure, why not? Gotta replace Tavon on the roster. BB loves young safeties, to fill out the ST units. He's going to have to use those compensatory 6th rounders on someone, and I think ST talent is a strong bet.

Two rookie CB's seems extremely unlikely. Will they both beat out Roberts, Coleman and Biggers?
I expect us to sign at least one more veteran CB for camp.
We're just throwing darts here. All I can say is BB always carries a few rookie UDFA, like its a ritual. CB is one of the few spots on the roster where competition is more wide open. Roberts, Coleman and Biggers aren't any more established or locked in stone or overwhelmingly compelling than anyone else.

BB may add a veteran, but why bother if he figures he has his veteran core in place and a ton of draft picks to spend, with 70+ deserving players already signed to the roster.

The other 5 seem fine, although the RB (or two) may be secured through free agency. So, we agree with one fewer rookie CB making the 53.
I think a rookie RB makes the team even if we re-sign Blount.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. I think BB himself wouldn't know for sure how the team will come together.

Sure, why not? Gotta replace Tavon on the roster. BB loves young safeties, to fill out the ST units. He's going to have to use those compensatory 6th rounders on someone, and I think ST talent is a strong bet.
This thread is not about who belichick might use his late pick on. It is about who makes the 53 man team for game 3.

BTW, thank you for the most entertaining post of the year so far. We DO NOT have to replace Tavon Wilson on the roster. We have SIX safeties, including 2 of our top 3 special team tacklers. That is quite enough. There is NO REASON to expect to carry 7 safeties.

there is room for competition at the following positions with players currently on the roster who could be replaced:
RB
OL
WR
DE
LB
CB

so.....it is impossible to guess now how well the rookies will play

10 rookies saw action last year
8 rookies saw action in 2014
18 rookies saw action in 2013
9 rookies saw action in 2012
14 rookies saw action in 2011
12 rookies saw action in 2010
14 rookies saw action in 2009

based on the numbers, I would say somewhere between 8 and 18...note that this includes UDFAs

there is room for competition at the following positions with players currently on the roster who could be replaced:
RB
OL
WR
DE
LB
CB

so.....it is impossible to guess now how well the rookies will play

10 rookies saw action last year
8 rookies saw action in 2014
18 rookies saw action in 2013
9 rookies saw action in 2012
14 rookies saw action in 2011
12 rookies saw action in 2010
14 rookies saw action in 2009

based on the numbers, I would say somewhere between 8 and 18...note that this includes UDFAs

It is interesting that you seem to think that the number of rookies on the roster for Game 3 is not related to this year's team, but rather to teams is past years.

Last edited:
I expect us to sign at least one more veteran CB for camp...
Biggers? Seriously? That bum is nothing more than a tackling dummy. He completely sucks.

Biggers? Seriously? That bum is nothing more than a tackling dummy. He completely sucks.
Biggers is what he is: a backup to Coleman at nickel back.

Besides, you (as is usually the case) ignore the main point.

We have four corners: Butler, Ryan, Coleman and Roberts.
COMPETING FOR THE FIFTH SPOT (if there is one)
Melvin
Biggers
free agent
rookie
rookie

My point was that it was EXTREMELY unlikely that TWO rookies would make the team, although this would be possible if Roberts cannot come back, and we signed no free agent good enough to beat out a 6th round draft choice (our 2nd rookie).

It is interesting that you seem to think that the number of rookies on the roster for Game 3 is not related to this year's team, but rather to teams is past years.

not really interesting at all.......what might be interesting is why you think this year is suddenly different.....unlikely, but possible

There's always plenty of room to improve

Last edited:
not really interesting at all.......what might be interesting is why you think this year is suddenly different.....unlikely, but possible

There's always plenty of room to improve

Part of our difference is that you look at the number rookies who saw action. I am look at a beginning roster, actually Game 3, which is a bit more stable than Game 1.

I agree with you that there is always room to improve. However, that 5-10 players from late rounds will be better than the current well stocked roster seems far fetched. I think we agree that the patriots first four picks are likely to make the roster. I think that ONE more is likely. Your prediction is much higher.

Part of our difference is that you look at the number rookies who saw action. I am look at a beginning roster, actually Game 3, which is a bit more stable than Game 1.

I agree with you that there is always room to improve. However, that 5-10 players from late rounds will be better than the current well stocked roster seems far fetched. I think we agree that the patriots first four picks are likely to make the roster. I think that ONE more is likely. Your prediction is much higher.

Picking one game as some sort of discrete data point is pretty meaningless.....especially week 3.....unless you get off in cherry picking data to make a point of relatively little value

Week 3 is not a good week to choose because of players who are still on PUP

Your picture needs to painted with a broader brush

Picking one game as some sort of discrete data point is pretty meaningless.....especially week 3.....unless you get off in cherry picking data to make a point of relatively little value

Week 3 is not a good week to choose because of players who are still on PUP

Your picture needs to painted with a broader brush

Take the beginning roster then.

In any case, I believe that any pick after Round 4 is a long-shot, as always. And I think that this roster has more depth than in most years. Absent a greater than average number of early injuries, I expect few late picks and UDFA's to be on the 53.

My guess for the total on the starting 53 is 5 draftees and/or UDFA's. What is your guess?

As is usually the case, I don't see very many of the late picks making the 53. I expect the first 4 draftees (anyone drafted in the first 4 rounds plus one or two others (later draftees and UDFA's).

Perhaps our first four picks are OT, RB, DT and WR (in any order). And yes, I expect us to have a 4th and a 5th.

After that, I think that almost everyone else is likely headed for the Practice Squad or another team. As you see from the above, I recognize that one or two late picks (or UDFA's) will likely surprise (perhaps an additional OL).
It depends on the actual selections, and what type of injuries occur I'm the preseason.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back