PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many coaches in the entire NFL are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean10mm

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
... a net positive for their team, compared to a random warm body taking up the same space?

Let's call it the Jeff Fisher line. :p

Guys clearly above that line:

Belichick
Carroll (The Seahawks have been consistently better since he's been there, goal line lol call notwithstanding)

Tomlin (Higher winning % than Cowher, has his flaws but is clearly sustaining success)

Reid (He'll probably never build a champion, but Chiefs are clearly better off now and he made the Eagles better than they ever were before or since)

Harbaugh (Though the Ravens have won less under him than you probably think, he's been clearly better overall than Billick)

After that you have a bunch of guys with only a couple of seasons under their belts (e.g. Quinn), guys on long runs of sucking who used to look really good (Payton), and guys who are just career stiffs. Did I miss anybody?

e: Fat Mike McCarthy has a good winning % but is such a bad game-day coach that he feels like he's right on the line.

-Arians
-Bill O'Brien (not his fault the Texans take QB signing ineptitude to an art form)
-Del Rio is driving the Raiders resurgence
-Kubiak in Denver before retiring
-Its only been 1 year, but Koetter looks good down in Tampa

And Tomlin does not belong on your list. He doesn't make the Steelers better, he holds them back. His in game coaching is atrocious and routinely costs them games.

I think Bill OB in Houston is good.

BOB hasn't demonstrated anything IMO.

Del Rio has a long track record of mediocrity to overcome, though he's making a good go of it so far for the Raiders. He could be one of those guys who needs a 2nd go of it to make his legacy.

Kubiak is an offensive coach who won thanks to Wade Philips's defense and little else, and was mediocre forever before that.

I would place Sean Payton higher.

In my opinion New Orleans' problems are with their GM, Mickey Loomis, and the owner, Tom Benson - and not the head coach.

Tomlin on the other hand should be ranked lower. The Steelers win in spite of him, not because of him. Tomlin is in the opposite situation of Payton: in Pittsburgh he has a solid front office and ownership, which masks his mediocrity.

I can't see where to put Mike Zimmer...

BOB hasn't demonstrated anything IMO.
Del Rio has a long track record of mediocrity to overcome, though he's making a good go of it so far for the Raiders. He could be one of those guys who needs a 2nd go of it to make his legacy.
Kubiak is an offensive coach who won thanks to Wade Philips's defense and little else, and was mediocre forever before that.

hahaha, riiiiiight. But Reid and Tomlin are good coaches? Mr "What the Hell is Clock Management"? And Tomlin who is the walking definition of a team carrying its coach and being held back by him?

O'Brien has 3 9-7 seasons and won 2 division titles with Hoyer, Mallett and Osweiler as his QBs....enough said

Del Rio's "mediocrity" was dragging the corpse of a franchise called Jacksonville around...where btw he 2 playoff appearances winning 11 and 12 games. You think its a coincidence Carr suddenly looks like a top QB the minute JDR came to town?

Kubiak was the 1st coach the Texans ever had. He built the team up from square one to win back to back division titles. He then goes to Denver and immediately takes an underachieving roster and wins the SB with them in year 1.

You cant even follow your own criteria..."a net positive for their team". That clearly defines O'Brien, Del Rio and Kubiak and clearly does not define Reid and Tomlin

Waiting for the season to start is making people cranky, woof!

:eek:

-Arians
-Bill O'Brien (not his fault the Texans take QB signing ineptitude to an art form)
-Del Rio is driving the Raiders resurgence
-Kubiak in Denver before retiring
-Its only been 1 year, but Koetter looks good down in Tampa

And Tomlin does not belong on your list. He doesn't make the Steelers better, he holds them back. His in game coaching is atrocious and routinely costs them games.
Arians? The same guy that has thrown multiple players under the bus for losses and blamed his team's bad season on a Week 1 loss to a team without it's GOAT quarterback? No thanks. You can definitely do worse than Arians, but I wouldn't put him above the mid-range.

• Winner
Reactions: jah
It's Belichick and then everyone else in a DISTANT second. We'll know more about Carroll when they inevitably can't pay the legion of boom and players start to depart. I respect him because he has had a really good run the past few years, but I am in no rush to give him too much more credit than that at this time. Harbaugh hasn't been relevant since the Ravens no longer had a world class D. Many are predicting they'll be better this season. We'll see. Reid can no longer win in the playoffs. Tomlin is Tomlin - Nuff said. Arians has plummeted in my book. Any coach admitting that his team was defeated after an opening day loss is not a good coach to me. We lost 31-0 at the beginning of the 2003 season . . . you know the game when the Patriots proclaimed they hated their coach, and we won the SB.

Wait, it wasn't the Patriots who proclaimed they hated their coach?!:eek:

I can't see where to put Mike Zimmer...

Above. He's a good coach and more importantly a good person. He's done a lot with what he has especially with Bridgewater out so suddenly and no Peterson.

Above. He's a good coach and more importantly a good person. He's done a lot with what he has especially with Bridgewater out so suddenly and no Peterson.
Yeah...bad pun. Bored.

I don't know why you got a dislike for the OP, it's a good question.

It's crazy just how far above the rest of the coaches Belichick is. Those guys you mention are considered the 'good' coaches in the league but they all have huge flaws or have had numerous bad decisions that I could point to, especially with respect to game management and strategy.

I would say the gap between BB and coaches 2-5 is way bigger than the gap between Brady and QBs 2-5.

Thank the sweet baby Jesus we have Belichick, what a sh.tty list of coaches. Great head coaches in the NFL are almost nonexistent.

Thank the sweet baby Jesus we have Belichick, what a sh.tty list of coaches. Great head coaches in the NFL are almost nonexistent.
Yeah, I didn't even really realize it until this thread made me think about it. The top three, IMO, would be...

1. Belichick

2. BOB
3. Reid

I would put Payton at 4. Everyone else? Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes