How Lawrence Guy Fits In Patriots’ Defense May Influence the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
How Lawrence Guy Fits In Patriots' Defense May Influence the Draft

Steve Balestrieri

Guy's most natural position is at the five-technique defensive end although he has the versatility to be a three-technique defensive tackle

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I don't know anything about him, so I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. BB signed him to a significant contract, so I hope he lives up to that and helps to fortify our DL and provide some inside pass rush.

I'd say that Guy's signing is less likely to influence the Pats draft than it is to influence the ways that Flowers, Ealy and Hightower are used situationally next season.

Guy or no Guy, either way, in 2018 the Pats are facing a shortage at 40-front DE and a potential shortage at LB that could exacerbate that DE shortage.

I'd say that Guy's signing is less likely to influence the Pats draft than it is to influence the ways that Flowers, Ealy and Hightower are used situationally next season.

Guy or no Guy, either way, in 2018 the Pats are facing a shortage at 40-front DE and a potential shortage at LB that could exacerbate that DE shortage.

I think you've just predicted the Pats draft.

Guy or no guy, we need pass rushers and linebackers. We may look like champs now, but come September we need de's that can get to the opposing qb and linebackers with speed coverage ability.

Guy is definitely going to be one of those "off the radar" signings...assuming he performs as projected. Along with Malcolm Brown, the Pats now have 2 guys who can play DE if they want to get into a 3-4 set. They get a big guy who can set the edge on in 4-3 and can power rush from there, as well as a guy who can kick down inside when you want strength to provide push up the middle.

Interesting that Harbaugh was so effusive with his praise, yet did little to keep him. Were the Ravens so tight against the cap they couldn't keep him? According to Miguel, his cap number for this season is only $2.6MM

Guy or no guy, we need pass rushers and linebackers. We may look like champs now, but come September we need de's that can get to the opposing qb and linebackers with speed coverage ability.
Thoughts? The Eagles would take a 5th Round pick (so it says) for OLB Mychal Kendrick. They are shopping him. He can cover. He has had some great years until last when they switched their "D:" around. He is only 26 and runs about a 4.5 40. Would be our fastest LB day 1. Do I want a "ultra valuable" 5th Rounder or a guy who will start here in 2017?

He has also played some good games against the Pats and BB must have taken notice?

DW Toys

Thoughts? The Eagles would take a 5th Round pick (so it says) for OLB Mychal Kendrick. They are shopping him. He can cover. He has had some great years until last when they switched their "D:" around. He is only 26 and runs about a 4.5 40. Would be our fastest LB day 1. Do I want a "ultra valuable" 5th Rounder or a guy who will start here in 2017?

He has also played some good games against the Pats and BB must have taken notice?

DW Toys

I recently read a rumor that they'd now accept a 6th for Kendricks. Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Pat first three picks are front-7 prospects.

That's what I think as well depending on how the Butler situation plays out.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Pat first three picks are front-7 prospects.

We badly need to add an interior offensive lineman.

We badly need to add an interior offensive lineman.

IDK. Besides the starters, the Pats have four IOL on the roster, including two of last year's rookies, one of whom (Karras) they kept on the bench on the 53-man for the entire season (because they never needed him, presumably). Who knows how Scar will have them coached these guys up by the start of Camp?

Plus, Fleming could probably play OG for awhile if necessary.

I think there's a need for more prospects for Scar to work with, but I'm not convinced that the situation is desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News