How good do you think Jimmy G will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We've been talking plenty about him for weeks now, but
I don't remember a thread about Jimmy's quality in awhile.

No matter what the Patriots get, this trade could be anything between a colossal mistake and incredible success for the Pats because it will all come down to this very question.

How good will Jimmy G be?

If he becomes the next generation's Rodgers (there won't be another Brady for awhile), it's a mistake to let him go, considering Brady's age

If he turns out to be a bust, hey, BB is playing chess while others are playing tic-tac-toe.

Personally, the more i read about him, so many analysis, the sadder I am to let him go. I simply can't see him failing in this league. Not with the amount of trash that has been throwing the ball this year. At the very least, I think he becomes better than Alex Smith (which is compliment IMO) , with a far better arm. I'd bet he cracks the top 10 QBs talk in less than 3 seasons.

Also, something that's has not been not really talked about, is the fact that he displayed leadership skills and resilience through out his career, not to mention discipline. Those stuff are hard to come by, too.

So anyway, what's the ceiling on Jimmy G? How well (or bad) will he turn out to be?

(Let's try not to focus on "how much we'll get", "will we trade..." stuff.)

He was awesome against Miami before getting hurt. Quick release. Accurate.

He was a second round pick when he came out -- and that wasn't considered a reach at the time. The real issue with him was the level of competition he played against.

I think he's going to be a solid starter -- better than half the QBs in the league right now, with some upside. He'll never be Brady, but there's only one Brady.

I think he can be a solid QB who can make it to a pro bowl a couple times or so. Saying anymore than that would really be pure optimistic conjecture. Either way, Brady will be here for another 2-4 years and would like to get as much back as possible from trading Gandpapolo.

Comparing to QB with similar style, I think his realistic floor (obviously he could be a bust but I doubt it) is Alex Smith. His ceiling would be Aaron Rodgers. On a scale between Smith to Rodgers I'd have the most likely scenario about 3/4 to the Smith side. That ceiling is very doubtful but all three are guys who can run and throw on the run but aren't true running QB.

Smith....................Garrapolo............................................................Rodgers

I want the best package for jimmy because i feel he can be a good starter in the league with some weapons around him.

He will be like Tom Brady on steroids. His touch passes down the field are deadly, like Peyton Manning plus he has the accuracy of Tom and the release of Dan Marino. No way you let this guy go. Probably won't have the longevity of Tom and you have to have a some good fortune to win the Super Bowls.

I think he will be like Phillip Rivers, which really isnt the worst case imo
He is nothing like Philip Rivers. If I were asked to name one QB he will NOT be like, Rivers would be near the top of the list.

He could be great but I still need a bigger sample size than a game and a half as a starter. How will he respond when the going gets tough? It's not going to start out pretty with a team like Cleveland.

Id guess he'd be in the category of a Tony Romo. It depends on the coaching and his health. Can he play with an injury? I've seen Brady take the hit Jimmy took a million times and Brady would just shrug it off.

He could be great but I still need a bigger sample size than a game and a half as a starter. How will he respond when the going gets tough? It's not going to start out pretty with a team like Cleveland.

It depends what they put around him. Have a solid OL and some weapons. They could use another wr if josh gordon doesn't play again.

Id guess he'd be in the category of a Tony Romo. It depends on the coaching and his health. Can he play with an injury? I've seen Brady take the hit Jimmy took a million times and Brady would just shrug it off.

What's his weight? Did brady look like that in 2001?

His playing style reminds me a little of Alex Smith. Based on the limited time we've seen him play he seems to process in the pocket more quickly than Smith. I think he will thrive with a QB friendly coach in Shanahan. Shanahan will design an offense around JG to play to his strengths. If he ends up in SF he could have a pretty good career.

Since we're just speculating:

Realistically his ceiling is somewhere between Steve Young and Philip Rivers.

In the right situation he'll be a top 5 out of active QBs in 3-5 years.

In the wrong situation he'll be somewhere between Elvis Grbac and Alex Smith.

He hasn't played enough to judge. Tons of QBs look good (or bad) in stretches and the opposite in the long run.
Frankly it comes down to health and clutch play.
Any NFL QB that stays healthy can put up stats that make people feel he is good.
There are a whole group of QBs who's stat are roughly similar some of whom are winners and some of whom are not.
For example, Andy dalton and philip rivers are durable and put up numbers but neither has a clutch bone in their body so they don't win anything.
Woukd you trade for jimmy g hoping he becomes them?

He seems to have the smarts and quick release to be very successful. He just seems so small boned and not the ideal height. Not sure if putting muscle on will help or if it will mess with his mechanics.

I seen an O-lineman just pick him up into the air like a rag doll after a TD pass. Since part of his game is rolling out and being prone to contact. I think he has the talent but is a injury risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back