PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does BB and McDaniels attack Seattle's defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherman could cover Gronk if he lines up outside. I actually like that matchup, but NE won't do that.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think Sherman can handle Gronk physically. Now, with his elbow being dinged up quite a bit even less so.

Am I the only one who thinks this may be a blowout like 42-18?

I think the Pats will win but a 24 point margin of victory might be a stretch.

I really hope this isn't going to be a run first game plan. Seattle is a good run. They allow runs, but they also penetrate and stuff plays. The only way our offense gets bogged down is when we play "the
stay on schedule" game. Every game that I can remember the Patriots struggling on offense is when they played small ball and tried to get to 2nd and 7, 3rd and 3, etc. Even though in those games we convert a high percentage of 3rd downs, we do not score a lot of points because we need a bunch of them strung together.
This offense is at its best when its getting 1st downs and big plays on 1st and second down.
I see a lot of opportunity for that in this matchup. There are seams in that defense and we have receivers that are outstanding at exploiting those seams.
I hope we spread them out and throw a ton of passes in the 7-14 yards downfield range. I want to hit those seams, and if they go man, exploit the safeties and nickel back.

They stop the run against a heavy set well, but I'm not convinced that they can do so, if the Pats run from 3 wide, or if the Seahawks match-up with the Tim Wright 2TE offense in nickel. I doubt they do, as their LBs are fast enough to cover Wright, and I doubt the Pats go that route, as Amendola is proven and Wright's long-expected breakout game is not something that BB will bet on in the biggest game of them all.

I would expect a pretty even run/pass balance to start, but as usual, drives will go into hurry-up mode when a matchup advantage is identified, and the Pats start running or throwing 5-6 times in a row (or alternating runs with PA, which is what I would bet on being the winning formula, if I had to choose). Which approach gets the most mileage is as much up to Pete Carroll and the ability of the players to execute than it is to whatever Josh and BB are planning right now. To quote BB quoting Eisenhower, "Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." Is it next Sunday yet?

I agree with most here. They need to attempt both the run and the pass--as simple as that. If they can't run, then the offense becomes 1 dimensional against a very dangerous secondary. And if the Seahawks get up in the score, life will be difficult, and we'll go the way of the PY Broncos.

On the NEP passing game, IMO the keys are A) naturally the pass protection and B) Brady identifying the open receiver in a timely fashion. Our key pass receivers (Gronki, Edelperson, Vereen, Lafell, and Amendola) will not be open on every play. I'm glad that Amendola has improved his production of late in order to become a legitimate pass catcher. Even Hooman with the post-season reception "craze" adds another potential target to keep drives alive.

These guys are going to focus heavily on Gronk and Edelman. It's just like what Suggs said in the Baltimore game.

I think the side of the ball that will show up is the Pats defense. Everyone is talking about the Seattle defense and completely dis-regarding the Pats defense. That should piss them off. Something tells me they are going to show up and show up big time.

I know that the seattle corners are solid against the bigger wide receivers. but how well do they do vs. the smaller shifty guys? when you get edelman on those crossing patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore