PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did they do? [NE free agents that signed elsewhere in 2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
How did they do?

Last year a lot of us did some freaking out. You cant let this guy go!

You cant let that guy go

OMFG YOU CANT LET BOTH THOSE GUYS GO! SKY IS FALLLLLING

But its been another year, the patriots once again were on the doorstop of the superbowl,

So how did Those guys we let walk away do?

Big Vince:

16 games played 22 tackles, zero sacks

Right call to let him walk? Yes.

Darell Mevis

14 games played 39 tackles 9 passes knocked away, 5 ints

Right call to let him walk? at the contract he ended up signing for Yes. but can you imagine revis + butler as teh starting duo*swoon*

Brandon Browner:

Lol. Set the record for most penalties by a defensive player.

76 tackles, 10 pass defense 1 int.

Kyle Arrington:

28 tackles 3 pass defense, no ints

Right call to let him walk? hard to say

Stevan Ridley

8 games played averaging 2.5 yards per carry

Shane Vereen.

16 gp, 260 yards on the ground, 500 through the air 300+ kick return yards.

Right call to let him walk? No. Vereen had a solid year, and our RB depth could have really used him

Last year a lot of us did some freaking out. You cant let this guy go!

You cant let that guy go

OMFG YOU CANT LET BOTH THOSE GUYS GO! SKY IS FALLLLLING

But its been another year, the patriots once again were on the doorstop of the superbowl,

So how did Those guys we let walk away do?

Big Vince:

16 games played 22 tackles, zero sacks

Darell Mevis

14 games played 39 tackles 9 passes knocked away, 5 ints

Right call to let him walk? at the contract he ended up signing for Yes. but can you imagine revis + butler as teh starting duo*swoon*

Brandon Browner:

Lol. Set the record for most penalties by a defensive player.

76 tackles, 10 pass defense 1 int.

Kyle Arrington:

28 tackles 3 pass defense, no ints

Right call to let him walk? hard to say

Stevan Ridley

8 games played averaging 2.5 yards per carry

Shane Vereen.

16 gp, 260 yards on the ground, 500 through the air 300+ kick return yards.

Right call to let him walk? No. Vereen had a solid year, and our RB depth could have really used him

Tremendous Post ~ especially the part where you call letting Vereen go a Mistake!! :D

For what it's worth ~ and in the Forlorn Hope of forestalling yet another Chapter in the Vereen Debate: I readily acknowledge that an Argument could be made for either Side of that Argument. :cool:

*Edit: Truly a tremendous Post, though, and well conceived: sometime this Week, I'll have to append my own disastrous Free Agency Moves from last Year's Mock, so all can point and laugh!! :D

Last edited:
I would like to have kept Akeem Ayers and Shane Vereen

Would Vereen have been nice to have around because all of the Pats running backs got hurt? Yes. But considering circumstances, letting him go was the right call and it's not a close one.

How someone performs in another system isn't indicative of how they would perform here.

Agree overall, Vereen was replaced well by Lewis and White so I think they were right in moving on, and I like Vereen.

We were right to let Vereen walk. He had a solid year but still not worth $4.5m per year. COME ON! You didn't mention Vereen's contract. He's being paid as a top 5 RB.
The contracts should absolutely be taken into consideration. That's why they're all gone and none outperformed their new contracts.

If we still have Vereen do we ever get to see what we had in Lewis?

if we have vereen does he continue his accent from last year when he moved up to #1 on the depth chart?

Ahem...

Many of y'all're conveniently ignoring that I was ~ as I've mentioned before ~ saying that we should try to extend him a Year before he hit Free Agency: 2 Years ago, before Vereen's first fully healthy Season, and before the Market went up a Year later, I believe that we could've locked'm up for far far less.

Some folks don't believe that what he would've given us this Year would've justified the Cost.

Some folks believe that the Talent Gap between him and White was costly, perhaps fatal.

As I said: You can make an Argument either way.

But the Idea that "letting him go was the right call and it's not a close one." is a bit overstated. ;)

Ahem...

Many of y'all're conveniently ignoring that I was ~ as I've mentioned before ~ saying that we should try to extend him a Year before he hit Free Agency: 2 Years ago, before Vereen's first fully healthy Season, and before the Market went up a Year later, I believe that we could've locked'm up for far far less.

Some folks don't believe that what he would've given us this Year would've justified the Cost.

Some folks believe that the Talent Gap between him and White was costly, perhaps fatal.

As I said: You can make an Argument either way.

But the Idea that "letting him go was the right call and it's not a close one." is a bit overstated. ;)

you are so right, but that chance works both ways.......I just thought vereen was a better outlet when things get dicy for Brady than ANYONE who played for the Pats this year

pretty much everything Lewis did was on 1st or 2nd down (the first half of the year, the pats got 1st down on 2nd down between 50% and 60% of the time

I'm not bashing Lewis, but people are putting way too much stock in the 'shine' of some of the dazzling moves Lewis made.

I just think that Lewis has little chance of completing a season for the Pats with the number of touches he was getting....he's brittle

I'll take Vereen for $3 mil and Revis at $12 mil...... max. Good decision on both.

As another poster said, Akeem Ayers. How much did he end up signing for anyway?

I just thought vereen was a better outlet when things get dicy for Brady than ANYONE who played for the Pats this year

I'm not bashing Lewis, but people are putting way too much stock in the 'shine' of some of the dazzling moves Lewis made.
Wow, really disagree.

You want to bring health into it, I suppose we'll see--Lewis obviously got hurt this year, and when you get hurt more than once you get slapped with the "brittle" tag. But you seem to be saying that even when Lewis is healthy you'd take Vereen? No way.

1. Wilfork as a rotational guy would have been fine
  2. Revis paired with Butler would have been great, would likely have resulted in at least 1 more win, and might have been the difference between SB repeats and an AFCCG defeat
  3. Browner without Revis was never going to be a good idea
  4. Ridley coming off of that injury was essentially irrelevant
  5. Vereen, while a quality enough player, was never going to be worth the cash, was overrated here, and was no great loss

Last edited:
As always Belichick lets them go a year too early rather than a year too late. This strategy has led to incredible success so sometimes we have to let our binkies go. I was sad to see Vereen go but he wasn't worth what the Giants paid.

People love to trash Belichick the GM but sometimes I wonder what he is better at, GM or Coach, because IMO he is a genius at both. He never overpays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes