PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did the Texans fix their defense overnight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense in the NFL is easier to turn around quickly and harder to maintain. Weren't the Pats able to make major improvements from 02-03 and 05-06?

Re: How did the Texans fixed their defense overnight?

Houston never fixed their defense. All they did was make it better at shutting down bad teams, thus padding their overall stats. They held 19 teams to 14 or fewer points, but that doesn't really matter when the Saints are still dropping 40 on you.

Fact: The Texans defense allowed opposing offenses to score 40, 29, and 28 points. The Patriots defense never allowed an opposing offense to score more than 27.

I just wanted to quote this as part of my answer.

so, the underlying point of this thread being that our defense is as horrible as the texans once was, and the op would like to know if we can do whatever they did to 'fix' it.
I don't want to get hung up on some small sample size stats, but I'll check a few things just to establish a factual foundation.

over 18 games the texans gave up about 17 ppg, which is about 10 ppg better than the previous year's 27.

the pats' defense has evolved throughout the year, but averaged over the season they allowed 20 ppg ---- 3 points more than houston, while playing different teams.
they gave up 20 to baltimore in the playoffs, which is exactly what houston allowed.

they gave up 19 points in the superbowl, 6 of which was that last intentional td.
they allowed 17 to the rams in 2002.
they allowed 29 to the panthers in 2004.
they allowed 21 to the eagles in 2005.

anyway, to answer your question,
1 - one thing houston possibly did was addition through subtraction.
I don't watch houston, and have no clue about the ability of the previous coach, but if you get rid of matt millen, or whoever, your team will improve just on that alone.
not to slander the prior staff, but I point it out because I don't think that would translate to our team as we already have good coaches.

2 - new coach
they brought in wade phillips and switched to a 3-4.
wade phillips knows defense, but plays a different 3-4 than the pats, and was run out of dallas.
I suppose we could adopt his philosophy, but we can't switch to a 3-4 as we already play that.
this is also what green bay did to create that tough defense last year, but how did that work for them this year?

3 - the draft
mario williams -- you might remember them getting excoriated by media and fans a few years back by taking him with the first pick in the draft.
brooks reed - rookie who got his chance when mario got hurt
jj watt - rookie taken with 11th pick
brian cushing - taken a couple years ago with the 15th pick
kareem jackson - corner taken 20th last year

four of those guys were picked higher than the pats normally reach, so this is great to get us richard seymour years ago, but that path has closed outside of packaging 4 picks to move up.

4 - other personnel moves
glover quin - I believe he played corner for their horrible secondary a year ago, but was moved to safety.
d manning - they signed a free safety off the bears (4 yrs / 20m)
j joseph - signed an excellent corner off cincy (five-year, $48.75 million contract. The deal contains $23.5 million guaranteed, including a $12.5 million signing bonus.)

fa and trades are always an avenue to be explored, so I guess we could've signed asomugha, and traded for samuel, or whatever, ......waitaminute......

the bottom line is our defense could certainly use some work, but isn't the trainwreck people make it out to be, and isn't any scapegoat for the superbowl.
I'm sure belichick will do the best he can in fa and the draft this year to improve it, and they are already loaded with young guys who could improve, so don't panic, and have faith.

They got a schedule filled with the 12 of the worst 16 offenses in the NFL.

They faced New Orleans, Ravens, Atlanta and Carolina. They won 1 game against Atlanta and their defense lost the other 3. And not only did they lose but they lost:

40-33 Saints
29-14 Baltimore
28-13 Carolina(with a rookie QB, btw)

Their defense gave up far above average points.

The rest of their schedule:
Indianapolis x 2
Miami
Pittsburgh
Oakland
Tennessee x 2
Jacksonville x 2
Cleveland
Tampa Bay

That's how you get a good defense over night. Face the worst offenses: Lucky Schedule.

Hmmm maybe it does help to have a legit DC

Hmmm maybe it does help to have a legit DC

Or maybe the OP doesn't know what he's talking about, the Houston Texans had a worse defense than ours, and they looked good simply because they played against the worst and most incapable offenses in the NFL for most of their season.

The answer is they didn't. We had the better defense.

Or maybe the OP doesn't know what he's talking about, the Houston Texans had a worse defense than ours, and they looked good simply because they played against the worst and most incapable offenses in the NFL for most of their season.

In the playoffs vs the Ravens they had by far the better defense.
Texans defence allowed 2 TD because of two huge turnovers deep in their territory, 1 a ridiculous mistake by their punt returner, and 1 a bad mistake of their rookie QB. If Pats had the Texans defence they would had easily won the Superbowl.

Pats were very lucky to keep Ravens to only 20, only a missed gimmie FG kept it that way.

The Texans fixed their defense by having a ton of talent already in place, signing Jonathan Joseph, and then bringing in competent DC. I dunno if that's the blueprint for the Pats.

... no way. The Texans' D was far better than ours. Not even close.

Last edited:
The Texans fixed their defense by having a ton of talent already in place, signing Jonathan Joseph, and then bringing in competent DC. I dunno if that's the blueprint for the Pats.

Bringing someone like JJ Watt, a ferocious pass rusher, would help a lot.

Yeah, sure thing.

The 2 superbowl loses were caused by defenses that were fundamentally built wrong with the same mentality

2007 bend but don't break with an aged core defense
2011 bend but don't break with a nonathletic defense with no real play makers.

The defense sucking is bills fault and the nfl rules

How could they be fundamentally built wrong with the same mentality when there were such significant differences between them?

You're statements make no sense.

Bringing someone like JJ Watt, a ferocious pass rusher, would help a lot.

Problem is where do we always draft? Answer? At the bottom. Would be nice to get a player like Watt pick 11, Aldon Smith pick 7 or Kerrigan at 16. Just never in the cards.

#1 they have been Drafting high on defense over the last 5 years so the talent was there they add it a few FA's and one of the best DC's in NFL history,

the pats have the money and the draft picks to turn this defense into a top 10 defense next year if they can keep the core guys like Carter and anderson arond and not change the whole defense again

Dude - you seriously are whacked.

Solder didn't fill a huge area of need? Who was the starting LT going into the draft? That's right. We didn't have one because Matt Light was unsigned and had stated, vehemently, that he was going to test free agency.

Mayo is only solid? Again, you evaluations are whacked.

Patrick Chung made some big strides this year in his pass coverage abilities. He gets sole credit for shutting down Antonio Gates and for limiting Jason Witten.

Meriweather - Gave them 4 above average years, 2 of which he was a pretty good starter.

Maroney - 4 solid, but not spectacular years. In the end, didn't get the philosophy.

Seriously, you need to stop with the pseudo-evaluations because you're horrible at them.

Merriweather and Maroney were top 25 picks, COMPLETE busts.
Mayo was drafted at #8. He's good but nothing special as a gamechanger LB

As soon as you Put Maroney & Solid together, you lost credibility.

How could they be fundamentally built wrong with the same mentality when there were such significant differences between them?

You're statements make no sense.

They were both considered bend but don't break defenses and both were slow to reacting to passes.

Our defense isn't near as good as theirs.

We played incapable offenses for the duration of the 2nd half of the season and still managed to give up around 20 ppg

#1 they have been Drafting high on defense over the last 5 years so the talent was there they add it a few FA's and one of the best DC's in NFL history,

the pats have the money and the draft picks to turn this defense into a top 10 defense next year if they can keep the core guys like Carter and anderson arond and not change the whole defense again

improving their defense 1 ppg would put them inthe top 10.

and I wouldn't bank on carter.
signing a guy like joseph would be great, and all that, but I think he pulled down something like 10m/yr, which is probably not in the cards, and certainly wasn't last summer.

Last edited:
patsfan-1982;2954346[B said:
]#1 they have been Drafting high on defense over the last 5 years[/B] so the talent was there they add it a few FA's and one of the best DC's in NFL history,

ummmmmmm, aside from Mario Williams as #1 pick in 2006, and bust of Amobi Okoye in 2007, they've drafted mostly mid rounds and have definately improved their scouting and picks...they hit homeruns with Conor Barwin and J Watt, B. Reed, B. Cushing, and that's their core. This means picking the talent, not just keep trading down every year to pickup more picks that mostly on D have turned into likes of Butler, IR Dowling, chad Jackson, Ron Brace et al

DeMeco Ryans, #33, 2006
Cushing #15, 2009
Barwin, #46, 2009
Q. Glover, #112, 2009
Watt, #11, 2010
B. Reed, #42, 2010

here's a kicker, in 2009 Pats picked Ron Brace @ 40, Darius Butler @ 41 and passed on Conor Barwin who at 6'4" 265 was perfect for Elephant role ! Nah, who needs pass rushers. Ofcourse I'm not even touching the trade down from Rd 1 spot where he could have picked Clay Matthews.

Imagine Clay Matthews and Conor Barwin on this Defense. what we got was Chung, Butler, Brace.....1DB bust, 1 DL complete bust, and 1 adequate SS

So, for 3 years we've seen that garbage picks a galore who've contributed zippo to this Defense.

ummmmmmm, aside from Mario Williams as #1 pick in 2006, and bust of Amobi Okoye in 2007, they've drafted mostly mid rounds and have definately improved their scouting and picks...they hit homeruns with Conor Barwin and J Watt, B. Reed, B. Cushing, and that's their core. This means picking the talent, not just keep trading down every year to pickup more picks that mostly on D have turned into likes of Butler, IR Dowling, chad Jackson, Ron Brace et al

DeMeco Ryans, #33, 2006
Cushing #15, 2009
Barwin, #46, 2009
Q. Glover, #112, 2009
Watt, #11, 2010
B. Reed, #42, 2010

here's a kicker, in 2009 Pats picked Ron Brace @ 40, Darius Butler @ 41 and passed on Conor Barwin who at 6'4" 265 was perfect for Elephant role ! Nah, who needs pass rushers. Ofcourse I'm not even touching the trade down from Rd 1 spot where he could have picked Clay Matthews.

Imagine Clay Matthews and Conor Barwin on this Defense. what we got was Chung, Butler, Brace.....1DB bust, 1 DL complete bust, and 1 adequate SS

So, for 3 years we've seen that garbage picks a galore who've contributed zippo to this Defense.

When did the 11th pick in the draft become a mid round pick? It's one pick outside the top 10.

Even Brian Cushing was drafted far higher than the Pats' picked even if they didn't trade down.

You have a point with some of the other picks, but the Texans got Cushing and Watts because they either suck or were just mediocre.

The Texans personnel on D is more talented than the Patriots personnel on D. I am hopeful that this is remedied in 2012.

agreed, the work they've done on their front seven has really taken them above and beyond. Add that with some good free agent signings in the secondary and a good defensive coordinator and you have a recipe for a great defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick