PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Brady could get his reputation back, quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
How great would this be if Brady sues, lets say for 100 million. I think this is a reasonable amount taking into consideration his net worth, and a recent report were he sees fit to lose about 8 million a year in future endorsement. When he wins, he then renegotiate's his contract to 0$ a year, frees up a bunch of cap space, and wins another 3 super bowls. This would be the top of the list of things he could do to slap all other 31 owners and the NFL in the face.

Sounds good in principle, but there's a veteran's minimum that would be the lowest he can go. We'd have to ask Miguel, but I'm assuming that's around 1 million dollars. Either way, he's still under contract for three more seasons, so it's probably purely fantastical thinking.

As far as his losing money on endorsement deals, I'd imagine that it's pretty safe to say someone would want solid proof of the companies that have turned him down or terminated his deal/contract. You can't go on a subjective opinionated projection written by a reporter that he's lost marketability, at least not just on its own, anyway.

Maybe they are waiting to see how the federal court case plays out first?

Two things:

1. What you said and I just quoted.
2. Some of the clearest defamation was subsequent to the appeal hearing, which is not long ago.

As far as his losing money on endorsement deals, I'd imagine that it's pretty safe to say someone would want solid proof of the companies that have turned him down or terminated his deal/contract. You can't go on a subjective opinionated projection written by a reporter that he's lost marketability, at least not just on its own, anyway.

Maybe he could hire Exponent to do an analysis.

I had not noticed this. If this did persuade anyone, then these media members truly should be ashamed.

I think you misunderstand.
  • Goodell zinged Brady hard for denying discussing Deflategate with Jastremski after the AFCC. He said that Brady's denial was implausible, which shows Brady was being dishonest overall.
  • The filing to Judge Berman included transcripts of the appeal, showing that Brady had made no such denial -- quite the opposite. I.e., Goodell's accusation is a simple, major, defamatory lie.
  • Several writers -- e.g. Steinberg at the WashPost -- went ballistic, saying Goodell was a big fat liar, and they regretted ever having believed him. Some flipped their views about Brady from guilty to innocent, in large part because of Goodell's dishonesty.

Brady should have filed a defamation law suit right after his appeal hearing over and finding out that Wells' investigation was not independent.
True but that is not the legal path to reinstatement.

After he wins his defamation case for tens of millions, he should state that he is already wealthy and is donating the money to others harmed by Roger Goodell's lies by giving it to those players suffering from post career concussion problems. That would help his rep and would be another kick in the balls to the dictator.

I think starting a foundation to end pathological lying might make more sense.

I think you misunderstand.
  • Goodell zinged Brady hard for denying discussing Deflategate with Jastremski after the AFCC. He said that Brady's denial was implausible, which shows Brady was being dishonest overall.
  • The filing to Judge Berman included transcripts of the appeal, showing that Brady had made no such denial -- quite the opposite. I.e., Goodell's accusation is a simple, major, defamatory lie.
  • Several writers -- e.g. Steinberg at the WashPost -- went ballistic, saying Goodell was a big fat liar, and they regretted ever having believed him. Some flipped their views about Brady from guilty to innocent, in large part because of Goodell's dishonesty.

I did misunderstand - thought you were implying the opposite. Thanks.

TB12 should say:
"I am not guilty. I never tampered with footballs nor did I ever ask any member of the Patriots organization to tamper with footballs. And based on the scientifically unbiased calculations of the Ideal Gas Laws performed by multiple "truly" independent experts in their field, not one NE Patriots football measured below the calculated reduction of 1.8 psi on that cold wet Sunday afternoon in January. Over the past half year, it has been painstakenly obvious that the NFL executives at Gillette that Sunday were unaware of the effects of the Ideal Gas Laws and therefore unprepared to properly manage what turned out to be ordinary PSI variations due to the atmospheric conditions. I can't tell you why NFL executives chose to leak incorrect information to an Indianapolis reporter that afternoon. I can't tell you why NFL executives released bogus psi readings to ESPN just days later. I can't tell you why NFL executives never corrected these phony psi readings and allowed this misinformation to linger for public consumption for months. I can't tell you why the NFL's team of scientific "experts" failed to account for "surrounding pressure" in their own calculations.
What I can tell you is this, over the course of the past six months, the NFL came to the correct conclusion that the New England footballs were never tampered with in any manner. Unfortunately, the Commissioner and his executives were never willing to absolve the Patriots or myself despite the indisputable evidence to the contrary and therefore I am now being punished an unprecedented four games and four paychecks for phone violations that typically result in a minor fine.
I want to be very clear right now. I do not accept Commissioner Goodell's ruling of guilt after the Wells Report release. I do not accept Commissioner Goodell's subsequent ruling validating his original ruling. And I will not accept a reduced suspension even if Commissioner Goodell offers a settlement of one game. I am innocent and innocent people do not serve time so that their prosecutors can save face."

Last edited:
First of all, in New England and with the reasonable, intelligent followers of this whole crock of a situation, Brady's reputation is just fine.

For the idiots, Brady needs his suspension vacated by the Judge.

In parallel, Goodell and 345 Park Ave gang need to be exposed even more so for the corrupt, evil entity that they truly are.

It seems crystal clear that they believe their "facts" and criticism of Brady are correct, and I doubt they are really that concerned about a defamation suit (in my opinion).

Hell, Jonathan Vilma actually won his court case and they still dismissed the defamation suit. We'll know soon enough, but I've never felt as though it was a realistic approach for TFB. I think his odds of having the court even hear his case would be insanely low.
I think the filing of a defamation case is equally as frightening to the NFL than the thought of losing that case. Look at what we've found already. We've already seen a level of lying, misrepresentation, and overt maliciousness from the NFL, that scares it to the core. That's just a spec of info compared to what Brady can ask for in a discovery motion. Think of all the cell phones he could subpoena. ;) Just filing the defamation case forces the NFL to REALLY open up itself to the kind of scrutiny that I doubt they'd recover from.

Whether or not Tom eventually could prove by legal definition the NFL was malicious in their intent (and I believe he could), really doesn't matter. By that time enough would be revealed to damn Roger and the league and clear Tom in the eyes of public opinion. Though the idea of Tom winning a 9 figure award and then donating it to a foundation to help former players from the 50,'s ,60's, and 70's who didn't make the big bucks and never got a decent pension, is just delicious, :D

Some of the clearest defamation was subsequent to the appeal hearing, which is not long ago.

Reputation is obviously important to Brady, which would likely be the biggest reason to continue going hard and filing the suit. As we know, it's certainly NOT about the money.

On the other hand, the potential to "lose" this month (using the term rather loosely) for the third time would probably make such a suit seem rather silly, with a high probability to get dismissed. That kind of additional negative attention wouldn't be a good look for Brady, and would be quite the opposite of what he's searching for.

I think the filing of a defamation case is equally as frightening to the NFL than the thought of losing that case.

Whether or not Tom eventually could prove by legal definition the NFL was malicious in their intent (and I believe he could), really doesn't matter. By that time enough would be revealed to damn Roger and the league and clear Tom in the eyes of public opinion. Though the idea of Tom winning a 9 figure award and then donating it to a foundation to help former players from the 50,'s ,60's, and 70's who didn't make the big bucks and never got a decent pension, is just delicious, :D

Love the idea of using the winnings to help the older players who didn't get a decent pension.

I don't know how scared the NFL would be, since there would be a high likelihood of the courts dismissing such a case, like in the Vilma case (who actually won his suit in federal court).

I'd be interested in comparing some of the comments made in the Vilma case, but we do know that there were obvious, blatant lies such as the incorrect accusation that Vilma was the "ringleader" of the whole scandal, openly encouraging and even offering incentives for the other players to physically injure the opposition.

He needs to win another super bowl as soon as possible. Preferably this season

Agree with the win the super bowl comments, but, isn't it funny? Haters hold Brady to such a high standard that anything short of a super bowl victory and they'll feel vindicated. It's a tacit admission that they know how great he is.

I think the filing of a defamation case is equally as frightening to the NFL than the thought of losing that case.

The filing only worries the NFL if it can survive summary judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back