PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Belichick lost his place in posterity

They needed. R tackle, not L. Tampa did have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Gronk was a huge help as well. They had a talented but under performing TE. Tampa players also openly talked about Brady also changing the entire attitude of the team.
They needed one tackle, Wirfs can play either side well.

If they didn’t get Gronk, they still had Brate and OJ Howard. Gronk was adding strength to a strength. Hardly necessary, gravy.

I tried to read the article and I don't know what was done. Something about erasing "do your job" but what was specially done?

Agreed. However they plan to erase "Do Your Job" wasn't explained. Tell Patriots employees not to say it? :confused: Seems to me it's a slogan worth keeping.

If they didn’t get Gronk, they still had Brate and OJ Howard. Gronk was adding strength to a strength. Hardly necessary, gravy.
Don't be silly they may have had decent TEs and it wasn't a need but Gronk was still a pretty significant upgrade at the position especially as blocking TE. And you can't underrate the comfort it gave TB12 to bring one of his all time best teammates with him.

Meh, this is an organization and fan base that needs to move on to what comes next. When attempting to forge a new team identity removing the ever present mantra of the last regime only seems logical. Probably to reasoned a response to what is supposed to be a trigger event but all the glorious yesterdays don't add up to a single tomorrow.

I am divorced, and although I still love my ex, I am not in love with her. I do not have to forget her and the three children we had together to have an optimistic and wonderful life going forward.

"Glorious yesterdays don't add up to a single tomorrow"? Did you quote that from a plaque at Walmart? How about those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it?

Agreed. However they plan to erase "Do Your Job" wasn't explained. Tell Patriots employees not to say it? :confused: Seems to me it's a slogan worth keeping.
More a criticism on the article obviously Mayo has to put his own messages to the team. I've heard he's changed some of the pictures and sayings in the hallways already and I assume this is more of that which seems normal and to get expected. but I'd like to know what replacing "Do your job" means? They did a poor job of explaining it or maybe I just got lost in the way the site is set up.

I think it's an interesting spot Mayo is in because he needs to balance his own ways with things that were obviously core to the success. And this is such a simple message I can't imagine he's really trying to erase it. Probably just replaced some sign or something. I mean are they really going to specifically start saying some other equivalency like know your role or something just to try and be different. You can't try that hard to not be Bill that you're wasting energy.

More a criticism on the article obviously Mayo has to put his own messages to the team. I've heard he's changed some of the pictures and sayings in the hallways already and I assume this is more of that which seems normal and to get expected. but I'd like to know what replacing "Do your job" means? They did a poor job of explaining it or maybe I just got lost in the way the site is set up.

I think it's an interesting spot Mayo is in because he needs to balance his own ways with things that were obviously core to the success. And this is such a simple message I can't imagine he's really trying to erase it. Probably just replaced some sign or something. I mean are they really going to specifically start saying some other equivalency like know your role or something just to try and be different. You can't try that hard to not be Bill that you're wasting energy.

I see nothing wrong with carrying over things from the prior regime that worked. Just because something was a hallmark of the BB era doesn't mean it can't be built upon as part of the team's legacy.

I am divorced, and although I still love my ex, I am not in love with her. I do not have to forget her and the three children we had together to have an optimistic and wonderful life going forward.

"Glorious yesterdays don't add up to a single tomorrow"? Did you quote that from a plaque at Walmart? How about those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it?

stripes lighten GIF

We're not talking life philosophy, we're talking sports. A place where a team is only as good as its last game.

Last edited:
stripes lighten GIF

We're not talking life philosophy, we're talking sports. A place where a team is only as good as its last game.

It was a joke Francis. Don't be so serious in life. Be like Mike. ;) Do you like Walmart?

PS to the above: it's easy, almost a quarter century later, to forget that the "easy" decision for Belichick in 2000 (a decision that would have been supported by many on this Board at the time!) would have been to stick with Bledsoe and create a situation wherein TB12 would, at best, have to wait at least one more year before becoming QB1 and, at worst, go somewhere else in frustration. Making that tough decision in 2000 and partnering with Ernie Adams over the years were the two most important decisions he made.
Staying with Brady was my choice at the time. He looked better when he played and he won a lot of games before Drew was ready to come back.

After seeing a couple of clips from the anti-Bill mocumentary it was pretty clear that Bill knew pretty early on what he had with Brady and his big brain.

We can all thank our lucky stars that they ended up together for 20 years.

I tried to read the article and I don't know what was done. Something about erasing "do your job" but what was specially done?
We will see on the field.

BB and Parcells teams were all business. It was a culture of professionalism. They did not do much dancing and celebrating of 1st downs or TDs. More often just handing the ball back to the referee and on to the next play.

Gronk singlehandedly made a decent tight end group elite. Gronk isn't there if Brady isn't.

Sorry not a superteam when Brady got there. I wouldn't even call them stacked. Or above average for that matter as their 7-9 record indicates. The Brady acquisition got them the title all by itself.

Gronk singlehandedly made a decent tight end group elite. Gronk isn't there if Brady isn't.

Sorry not a superteam when Brady got there. I wouldn't even call them stacked. Or above average for that matter as their 7-9 record indicates. The Brady acquisition got them the title all by itself.
You're moving the goalposts of the conversation.

I said the Bucs were the best team without a QB, and you Brady zealots keep repeating their record the year prior despite having a bad QB.

Just repeating yourselves is not an argument. Go back and read the thread, this has already been discussed.

Don't be silly they may have had decent TEs and it wasn't a need but Gronk was still a pretty significant upgrade at the position especially as blocking TE. And you can't underrate the comfort it gave TB12 to bring one of his all time best teammates with him.
Gronk got hurt in 2016 and Tom still won it all with the backup TE.

The Bucs had solid TE's in 2020 before Gronk arrived, they led the NFL in passing two years in a row. He was gravy.

You're moving the goalposts of the conversation.

I said the Bucs were the best team without a QB, and you Brady zealots keep repeating their record the year prior despite having a bad QB.

Just repeating yourselves is not an argument. Go back and read the thread, this has already been discussed.
Sure it is an argument when it cannot be trumped. 7-9 teams are not "stacked" anywhere nor are they a superteam that made Brady win a championship. That was just not the case.

Brady along with some friends he brought with him singlehandedly took an ok team at best and made them a championship team. It was all him, just like it was all his departure here dropping the Patriots from the top class of the league first into an also-ran and then an awful team like they are right now.

Wishful thinking to the contrary doesn't make it so.

Gronk got hurt in 2016 and Tom still won it all with the backup TE.

The Bucs had solid TE's in 2020 before Gronk arrived, they led the NFL in passing two years in a row. He was gravy.
Decent TE's maybe. Gronk was the best of them, easily and his presence was a major upgrade.

Sure it is an argument when it cannot be trumped. 7-9 teams are not "stacked" anywhere nor are they a superteam that made Brady win a championship. That was just not the case.

Brady along with some friends he brought with him singlehandedly took an ok team at best and made them a championship team. It was all him, just like it was all his departure here dropping the Patriots from the top class of the league first into an also-ran and then an awful team like they are right now.

Wishful thinking to the contrary doesn't make it so.
If that was true Tom would have closer to 23 rings than 7.

#Cheerleaders

Will Ferrell Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Decent TE's maybe. Gronk was the best of them, easily and his presence was a major upgrade.
They led the NFL in passing yards two year’s straight before Tom or Gronk arrived… but in your estimation they weren’t talented. Smaht…

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back