PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Belichick lost his place in posterity

That’s a good theory…although, you would think at least one player would have caught that. It’s definitely bizarre that not a single guy knows the answer as to why he was benched. Just bizarre.
There were rumors he had alcohol issues/run-ins in TN and AZ.

I will always believe there was a damn good reason Bill didn't play him and not some stupid spiteful one. Now, they'll certainly be debate over the severity of the reason but at least we'll have one!

I get benching him, but for the entire game given how it was going? I feel like it falls under the whole “cut off your nose to spite your face” thing. Brady was on fire and they needed a stop, or at least a chance to rotate a guy out and give him a breather.
It's always been the strangest part. Why dress him and why not use him at some point if you did?

Things happen during SB week and Bill closing ranks are not unusual but all the other stuff is hard to explain without more facts.

But I think if I recall the explanation at the time was that he did not react well to the news he was getting benched as evidence by his emotions. And so they were concerned about where his head was at.

They used him on one STs snap so you wonder why he'd get anything at all if they didn't think his emotions were in check.

It really all is a mystery.

Lol, still can’t get over those stories that came out of Denver…that one was pretty bonkers.
I was told Laura McDaniels was absolutely receptive to Peyton Hillis's advances. My buddy said she had "a couple of drinks".

Crazy.

They used him on one STs snap so you wonder why he'd get anything at all if they didn't think his emotions were in check.
maybe for the same reason i've left a 1 cent tip for extremely ****ty service?

He should have played Butler in the second half. At that point, whatever penalty he was trying to instill would have been levied and his team suffered due to that decision.

Again, I don’t fault him for much, but that was a bad call and it was evident just based on what guys like McCourty - who obviously enjoyed playing for him - said in the documentary.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that you can't claim with certainty his benching was inexcusable or he would have spelled the difference between defeat and victory. The former remains open to question until we hear from Belichick, we don't know it was disciplinary. The latter we'll never know. We can't entirely dismiss it being a tactical decision for any number of reasons broached in the links I posted.

I always thought that he basically snuck into game on the one ST play without coaches' approval. Not sure whose place he took, but maybe it was worked out with that player and not the coaches.

There were rumors he had alcohol issues/run-ins in TN and AZ.

I will always believe there was a damn good reason Bill didn't play him and not some stupid spiteful one. Now, they'll certainly be debate over the severity of the reason but at least we'll have one!
Can you imagine after the Super Bowl if BB had come out and said “Malcolm Butler is an alcoholic and showed up to work drunk.”

He would have lost his entire locker room, no free agents would trust him and the players association might bring an action against him.

But hey… at least the BB haters here would have their answer.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that you can't claim with certainty his benching was inexcusable or he would have spelled the difference between defeat and victory. The former remains open to question until we hear from Belichick, we don't know it was disciplinary. The latter we'll never know. We can't entirely dismiss it being a tactical decision for any number of reasons broached in the links I posted.
LOL, don't interfere with my annoyance/anger. The reasons behind him potentially sitting from a football perspective were broached long and hard after it was over. I just don't understand why, given how it was going, there wasn't he attempt to put him out there.

As you said, we'll never know - and it just feels like a frustrating missed opportunity that barring something extreme, just felt unnecessary. So I'll just quietly sit in the corner and complain about it. :whistle:

Sad Child GIF by ElevenSportsBE

Any reason short of BB discovering that Malcolm had a double life as another Aaron Hernandez or discovering that Malcolm was the guy who was deflating footballs is not a good enough reason to keep him benched all game a freaking Super Bowl. This wasn't a week 6 game against an out of conference opponent that nobody cared about.

That's not best for the football team. Play him, win the championship, then tell him to clean out his locker when he gets back to Foxboro. It shouldn't have been difficult.

My newest theory is MB showed up on gameday with booze on his breath which is why Bill didn't play him.
I'm convinced Kraft knows. I don't know if I'd call that "something personal" like he alluded to in the documentary.

what if the last minute nature of the benching is because whatever the reason for it was:
a) the last straw of something
b) something not discovered until after all were dressed,etc.?

I'm convinced Kraft knows. I don't know if I'd call that "something personal" like he alluded to in the documentary.
I don't want to lend any credit to that but how is an alcohol problem not something personal?

LOL, don't interfere with my annoyance/anger. The reasons behind him potentially sitting from a football perspective were broached long and hard after it was over. I just don't understand why, given how it was going, there wasn't he attempt to put him out there.

As you said, we'll never know - and it just feels like a frustrating missed opportunity that barring something extreme, just felt unnecessary. So I'll just quietly sit in the corner and complain about it. :whistle:

Sad Child GIF by ElevenSportsBE

Agreed, and it certainly is reasonable to feel that way. What saves me from going over the deep end about this is giving the GOAT head coach the benefit of a doubt and withholding judgment until his side of the story comes out. My one leap of faith is the belief that Belichick lives for championships. But maybe he considers certain principles sacrosanct at the expense of everything else, which certainly would merit explanation in this case. I just learned a long time ago that what might seem obvious sans the full story doesn't always pan out that way.

I think so too. There is no way as owner of the team and after that loss he doesn't demand from BB why MB was benched.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Eric Rowe was a better player from 2017 on… there’s no other reason necessary.

I will always believe there was a damn good reason Bill didn't play him and not some stupid spiteful one.
Yep. I just can't see BB screwing himself and his team out of a title just to make a point. Surely there would have been other disciplinary actions available with a better fitting level of impact.

Agreed, and it certainly is reasonable to feel that way. What saves me from going over the deep end about this is giving the GOAT head coach the benefit of a doubt and withholding judgment until his side of the story comes out. My one leap of faith is the belief that Belichick lives for championships. But maybe he considers certain principles sacrosanct at the expense of everything else, which certainly would merit explanation in this case. I just learned a long time ago that what might seem obvious sans the full story doesn't always pan out that way.
A cliche that for me has become cherished - context is king.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back