PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Belichick lost his place in posterity

How a Poster Farted in Our General Direction by Guy Smeltitdeltit

(snippets of forthcoming novel)

Chapter 1: A Foreshadowing

His mother, Lois, would call everyday and try to persuade him to find a way to daylight, and ask him again to pull his head out of Tom Brady's behind. She knew it was never the end of it, she knew who her son was...

Chapter 2: A Means to an End

John Boatlode O'Piffins held his breath and belief in Tom Brady's ******* for nearly 20 years to make himself singularly focused with a purpose to his life that he could not have made in a normal world...

Prologue: A World of Hurt

As the suns sets on a world free of greatness, John Boatlode O'Piffins takes a last breath in the colon of a legendary NFL memory...

If that's your honest interpretation of what I said, then you're a schmuck.

Thank you for helping me prove my point, even though you hilariously don't realize it. That gameplan is just another example of what happens when you have great players. Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, Everson Walls, Erik Howard, Steve DeOssie, oh and fella named Lawrence Taylor. You think Belichick's game plan gets the same results if he took the field with the Detroit Lions defense?

It also didn't hurt that the Giants' offense held the ball for over 40 minutes that game which I believe is still a Super Bowl record.
You said 100 xs more important. That’s seems extreme. It’s a team sport, full of people doing separate jobs. Hundreds in fact. Is Brady the most important player on the team ? Yes . Most important on the offense? Yup. Most important on the defensive side of the ball ? Nope . Most important on ANY of the special teams ? Nope. Most important in setting up the game plan ? Nope. Most important in scouting and drafting players ? Nope … giving all credit to one person diminishes everybody else. I swear half this board have never played any team sports or even been in a simple relationship with another human. But what would I know … both my parents were half schmucks themselves…

I don't credit Kraft for the football decisions that were made by Bill.

My ranking of on-field importance for any team is in the order of players, GMs, coaches and owners, with owners way down the list.

I'd put the team's cheerleaders on equal footing as Kraft.

The Defense and offense worked hand and hand.

01 Patriots
16-13 over Raiders offense pulls weight

24-17 over Steelers. a blocked kick returned for a td and a punt return for a td. Yeah, we needed the defense/special teams group for that one. Offense pulls weight

20-17 over Rams. A interception return for a td. Forced fumbles, Again defense is important. Offense pulls weight.

03 Patriots

17-14 over Titans. Shut down Co Mvp. Offense pulls weight

24-14 over Colts. 4 interceptions, 4 sacks and a safety by the defense. 5 fgs from AV. Offense pulls weight.

32-29 over Carolina. Barn burner. Brady arrives and puts himself in elite category.

04 Patriots

20-3 over Colts. Shuts down the 49 td thrower. Asante drops interception in end zone that lost shutout. Go figure. Offense pulled its weight.

41-27 over Steelers. Obviously offense is clicking and defense is doing what it can to avenge the Halloween loss.

24-21 over Eagles. Great game offense did what was needed, defense forced turnovers. And Andy Reid and clock management wins the day.

2001 Defense 5th in points allowed
2003 Defense 1st in points allowed
2004 Defense 3rd in point allowed

2001 Offense 5th in scoring
2003 Offense 12th in scoring
2004 Offense 4th in scoring

At the end it doesn’t matter because it was the perfect storm. I didn’t even get into the plus minus because it didn’t bode well for the rest of the league. Tbh though, I never saw the offense exceeding its own weight. First half was primarily defense. But it’s mute because Brady was always able to score more points than the other team when needed depending on the circumstances. That’s why it was a dynasty. A combination of players and coaches doing the job.

Sorry, but this doesn’t take into account how many times the offense went 3 and out, or 2 series and out, and left the defense on the field throughout the game running the completely out of gas. Time after time the defense kept them in the game until they were so tired they couldn’t do it anymore. In no way did the offense pull their own weight over the course of the last two seasons, they just sucked, period.

I think most of the "hammering" is a result of the state of the team in recent years and the draft screwups leading up to the present. Any fanbase would do the same if their team wasn't good for a period of time.

I know Bill lost me for good with the Patricia/Judge fiasco.
Ya I agree it was a horrible decision in hind sight especially after how everything panned out. Totally agree. I imagine there were many though that before the season ended thought … “ maybe , just maybe”… I’m gonna guess Bill had to get El’Krafties seal of approval before any of it came to fruition. Blame lays all around. I mean what the hell was Patricia thinking as well? Hubris for sure.

Damn...going on 15 pages now. This argument will unfortunately never end.

You said 100 xs more important. That’s seems extreme. It’s a team sport, full of people doing separate jobs. Hundreds in fact. Is Brady the most important player on the team ? Yes . Most important on the offense? Yup. Most important on the defensive side of the ball ? Nope . Most important on ANY of the special teams ? Nope. Most important in setting up the game plan ? Nope. Most important in scouting and drafting players ? Nope … giving all credit to one person diminishes everybody else.
If your hangup is on my use of "100x" then that's pretty weak. I didn't give credit to one person. What I said was: "players are about 100 times more important than coaches" and Brady was more responsible for the success the Patriots had the past 20+ years than Belichick.

There is simply no logical argument to counter the above. Even the biggest Belichick-krishna on this board cannot escape the fact that when Belichick didn't have talented players, his teams sucked. Anyone who calls Belichick the GOAT is logically forced to admit that even the greatest HC of all time cannot elevate an untalented squad to anything more than 4 wins.
I swear half this board have never played any team sports or even been in a simple relationship with another human.
Oh please, tell us all about your glorious high school days and how that gives you so much more wisdom and insight than everyone else here. Because we never played in high school or college. Nope. None of us.

My thoughts :

Brady is the greatest player and leader ever, and playing QB affects the outcome of games more than coaching does. Brady simply meant more to the Dynasty then Bill.

But,

Bill is on the Mount Rushmore of Head Coaches and will go down as the best of his generation. His defensive game planning is legendary, and the “Patriot Way” he installed (which Generals like Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, McGinnest, etc… bought into and led) helped bring home 6 Lombardi’s.

Let's just discount how Brady did more with less, why don't we.

I don’t discount anything Brady did. I’m a huge fan.
Sorry, but this doesn’t take into account how many times the offense went 3 and out, or 2 series and out, and left the defense on the field throughout the game running the completely out of gas. Time after time the defense kept them in the game until they were so tired they couldn’t do it anymore. In no way did the offense pull their own weight over the course of the last two seasons, they just sucked, period.
sorry dude, this was 20 years ago

Thank you for helping me prove my point, even though you hilariously don't realize it. Players are way more important than coaches and that gameplan is just another example of what happens when coaches have great players. Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, Everson Walls, Erik Howard, Steve DeOssie, oh and fella named Lawrence Taylor. You think Belichick's game plan gets the same results if he took the field with the Detroit Lions defense?

It also didn't hurt that the Giants' offense held the ball for over 40 minutes that game which I believe is still a Super Bowl record.
You can have the greatest players in the league, but if you do not know how to use them then they will suck.
The Giants offense was helped by a kick ass defense who kept Buffalo off the field...

BB's career is not complete yet.
I think it is. Not getting a job this off season shows that it would be very, very tough to meet his needs vs the teams goals for the future. He’ll be 73 before the 2025 season starts. Teams don’t turn things over to someone that age, even with Bill’s resume.

You can have the greatest players in the league, but if you do not know how to use them then they will suck.
The Giants offense was helped by a kick ass defense who kept Buffalo off the field...
Makes me think of Dan Marino, one of the best pure passers the NFL has ever seen. He played for the coach who has the most career victories in the NFL, yet the two together never won a Super Bowl. Does Marino win multiple Super Bowls if he plays for Belichick?

All this nonsense about the players of today. BBs methods work back then and they work now.

Coddling and arse kissing will only make these player bigger babies than they already are.
If he had talented players and they were winning, they’d put up with it. The problem is, Bill has been really bad the last 10 years evaluating talent. In fact, it seems almost impossible he could not draft at least one Pro Bowl/All Pro Player on offense or defense within that time period.

I swear half this board have never played any team sports or even been in a simple relationship with another human. But what would I know … both my parents were half schmucks themselves…
I missed out on team sports. What saved me from the fate of the mouth-breathers?

Couple of decades puts you around 2004? Sounds aboot right friend.
I would explain the why but then it would just feed your ego that thinks you make the rules of fandom.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back