PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Belichick lost his place in posterity

Just for record keeping if we go with less than 7 wins it cuts the number in half. Only 4 times did he have less than 7 wins.

Interesting that it's the First and last years both here and Cleveland.
There's only one right way to do it. By right I mean the best records getting into the playoffs and the others staying home. It's what's right for the players and fans of the teams involved. But with four four-team divisions the NYFL can get the players and fans worked up over a meaningless title and create more interest with the sucky teams. And only the team or teams that get screwed will care. All the others will be celebrating like they earned their spot because they had a better record than 3 of the other 15 teams.

Forced to become a Bucs fan means you probly never was a Patriots fan. Just jumped on board after a couple of Super Bowls. Plenty of kids and women in my old neighborhood jumped on board after a few years as well. I just thought it was a bad fad. I couldn’t Imagine rooting for the Yankees or the Habs. Jeezus Murphy mother and Joseph!!! Makes my blood boil to watch the Habs even today and they haven’t been relevant in 40 years. Hey but what do I know ..
Rooting for the Bucs was easy because Brady was there and they weren't in the same category as the Habs or Yankees (a stolen NE name btw). The Bucs history had been a pretty poor one, even with a SB win.

Last edited:
You can also add that the great Don Shula who a lot of posters compare to Bill had two great QB's and won how many Super Bowls?
Had Shula* not gone after Bill and the Pats (a very petty move that Bill wouldn't even dream of doing) while proclaiming that the Pats should have an asterisk if they went 19-0 in 2007, I would have totally forgotten that the Dolphins were fined a record amount and lost a 1st round pick for tampering with Shula to get him to Miami. That cheat led to the Dolphins 17-0* season.

Indoor broad jumping. Through college. Kept it going until I got married.
By the sounds of it you trained a lot by yourself. Probly would have had more success if you found a training partner.

So I was just pretending to be a Pats fan for a couple of decades? Such a genius; how did I not think of that?

I watched as many Bucs games so I could watch the last games of Brady. Don't care if your special concept of fandom can't handle it.
Couple of decades puts you around 2004? Sounds aboot right friend.

Rooting for the Bucs was easy because Brady was there and they weren't in the same category as the Habs or Yankees (a stolen NE name btw). The Bucs history had been a pretty poor one, even with a SB win.
And the Patriots have absolutely no rivalry whatsoever with the Bucs so there was no reason not to cheer for Brady's new team. Some NFL teams are totally irrelevant to the Patriots other than when they play the Pats in a game and that's one of them. Brady winning had literally no downside to us Pats fans. If Brady went to say, Miami then that would be a different story.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Bucs. Appreciated how they beat down the Raiders so badly in the SB their team has never the same since.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
And the Patriots have absolutely no rivalry whatsoever with the Bucs so there was no reason not to cheer for Brady's new team. Some NFL teams are totally irrelevant to the Patriots other than when they play the Pats in a game and that's one of them. Brady winning had literally no downside to us Pats fans. If Brady went to say, Miami then that would be a different story.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Bucs. Appreciated how they beat down the Raiders so badly in the SB their team has never the same since.
Rich Gannon's final pick-six cost me a hefty return in the squares game at work. I had it all locked up and thought I was all set, until he decided to toss another one and blew it for me. I'm still a little bitter about it, in case you couldn't tell. :cool:

For me, the best thing about TB with a Bucs ring is that it poked a hole in the "system quarterback" narrative.

For me, the best thing about TB with a Bucs ring is that it poked a hole in the "system quarterback" narrative.
I keep coming back to the whole, it stinks that he left, but it was better for him since it cemented his legacy. Would have loved it if he retired here, but as someone who always worried about how he'd be viewed compared to Montana, etc, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. At least for his sake.

I think the posters exact word was “forced”to watch the Bucs. I took it that his love for Tom forced him to switch allegiance.
I keep coming back to the whole, it stinks that he left, but it was better for him since it cemented his legacy. Would have loved it if he retired here, but as someone who always worried about how he'd be viewed compared to Montana, etc, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. At least for his sake.
Totally agree. I think many of us see Tom as our “own” son. His victories were literally our victories. Lived vicariously though his successes, not just as a team, but definitely as a player. Heck he was here for 20 years. Unheard of. Glad he won his 7th because of the man he showed us he was for 20 years, but hammering continuously on Bill as some do here is complete nonsense. All divorces happen because of issues from both sides.

If anything is clear, it is that players are about 100 times more important than coaches.

Brady was a player so he is far, far more responsible for the success the Patriots had the past 20+ years than Belichick was. That is not a knock on Belichick, simply the realization that coaches, no matter how great, can't win without players.

When Belichick had great players, he won championships. But when he didn't have great players, there were no miracles. Just bad football.

I have to take some credit for the Raiduhs' demise. I put a 25 years curse on them in 2001 after they cried so much about the tuck rule. It's been working like a charm.

Once in a while the Bucs could play an AFC team that could have an impact on the Pats, but it's rare, especially now.

If anything is clear, it is that players are about 100 times more important than coaches.

Brady was a player so he is far, far more responsible for the success the Patriots had the past 20+ years than Belichick was. That is not a knock on Belichick, simply the realization that coaches, no matter how great, can't win without players.

When Belichick had great players, he won championships. But when he didn't have great players, there were no miracles. Just bad football.
Last year could have been a 7-9 season, just based on the three straight weeks they held opponents to 10 or less (10-6, 10-7, 6-0). Doesn't matter how great the schemes/defenses are if you can't score. Like you said, no miracles last year with the two QBs they had. Just terrible results.

Sadly there are those who use pretzel logic to twist this into a knock on BB.

Remember when BB did not give the reins back to Bledsoe after he recovered?? There was general uproar among fans, posters and media as BB has broken his alleged promise to Bledsoe.
If BB did not hold his course would Brady have achieved the prominence he had?? We don't know but Brady became the GOAT because BB believed in him and gave him that opportunity.
Cannot begin to conceptualize why fans want to minimize what BB has accomplished, and then there is his HOF game plan which occurred in 1990...

I think you are on to something. Imagine a league without any coaching at all? Zero coordinators, No structure zero organization. Players would just show up and learn from other players, kinda do what they want. Wonder how far the game would evolve? Like raising kids without any parents.

And as the grocery picker he had only himself to blame for that.

I think you are on to something. Imagine a league without any coaching at all? Zero coordinators, No structure zero organization. Players would just show up and learn from other players, kinda do what they want. Wonder how far the game would evolve? Like raising kids without any parents.
If that's your honest interpretation of what I said, then you're a schmuck.
Cannot begin to conceptualize why fans want to minimize what BB has accomplished, and then there is his HOF game plan which occurred in 1990...
Thank you for helping me prove my point, even though you hilariously don't realize it. Players are way more important than coaches and that gameplan is just another example of what happens when coaches have great players. Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, Everson Walls, Erik Howard, Steve DeOssie, oh and fella named Lawrence Taylor. You think Belichick's game plan gets the same results if he took the field with the Detroit Lions defense?

It also didn't hurt that the Giants' offense held the ball for over 40 minutes that game which I believe is still a Super Bowl record.

but hammering continuously on Bill as some do here is complete nonsense
I think most of the "hammering" is a result of the state of the team in recent years and the draft screwups leading up to the present. Any fanbase would do the same if their team wasn't good for a period of time.

I know Bill lost me for good with the Patricia/Judge fiasco.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back