PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan bobbling passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I have watched the AFCCG over and over all week. Two things struck me about Hogan over and over..

1. Why was he mostly wide open? Was that our O Scheme, their D scheme?

2. He bobbles his catches frequently when wide open, In close coverage those get dislodged but good D.

Anyway I am bored waiting for the SB so I though I would throw this out there.

Did you notice how often BB wipes his nose with his hand? Yeah...you can throw this back too.

Are you suggesting bobbling passes has nothing to do with football?

1. Why was he mostly wide open? Was that our O Scheme, their D scheme?

Don't take it personally but there are 2-3 films produced by NFL Films alone (and several additional articles with all22 analysis) that give you a simple and very illustrative answer to that question (hint: credit to McD for drawing up plays and Brady for identifying the coverage presnap). I am not sure how you could have missed any of that.

Don't take it personally but there are 2-3 films produced by NFL Films alone (and several additional articles with all22 analysis) that give you a simple and very illustrative answer to that question (hint: credit to McD for drawing up plays and Brady for identifying the coverage presnap). I am not sure how you could have missed any of that.

While commentators oo and aah over Rodgers' seemingly impossible throws (they are pretty amazing), Brady quietly eviscerates defenses before the ball is snapped.

i haven't really noticed any problem with hogan bobbling the ball in any other game this season. so the two possibilities are:
  1. he has a bobbling problem but was able to suppress it in all other games during the season
  2. he doesn't have a bobbling problem but something was affecting him this game
i tend to believe #2. he did have a thigh injury that you could tell was bothering him. anything that distracts him could affect his concentration and cause him to bobble the ball.

It was wet and kinda cold. Does Hogan drop too many balls?

i haven't really noticed any problem with hogan bobbling the ball in any other game this season. so the two possibilities are:
  1. he has a bobbling problem but was able to suppress it in all other games during the season
  2. he doesn't have a bobbling problem but something was affecting him this game
i tend to believe #2. he did have a thigh injury that you could tell was bothering him. anything that distracts him could affect his concentration and cause him to bobble the ball.
After noticing it this game, especially on the flea flicker, I noticed it on one of the replays of his big plays over the season. Don't remember which catch it was, but it was the same kind of thing. Enough to catch my attention. OTOH he is so wide open it's not a problem. Long as that's true I'm not going to worry about it. Does illustrate that his success is from always being open (heard the 7-11 nickname used by the Dolphins when he was there, think it was pre-season practice, during one of his highlights films) not from winning battles for contested balls. No problem, Brady likes the open receiver so they're a good match. All Hogs has to do it put it away eventually, before he gets hit.

When bill talked to hogan before he was signed, do you think they talked about lacrosse? There is a lot of movement, getting open based on defense, and hogan played at a div 1 level. Bill seems to pick guys that excel in different sports, ebner / rugby, Neal / wrestling, hogan / lacrosse.

it was wet. honestly, don't underestimate that. i can tell you it makes a huge difference. you could see it all around in the game, too
This ×100. Hogan doesn't have a bobbling problem, he just bobbled a couple passes in one specific wet and cold game. It was pretty obvious to me that he was softening his hands to make sure of the catch instead of squeezing it and possibly watching it squirt through his hands.

I only noticed Hogan double catching in the AGCCG, and it was many of his catches indeed. But it isn't something that I ever noticed in the regular season. So I'll chalk it up to it being wet (you can't really see the rain on camera, but it as steadily falling) and the fact that I do believe he may have been surprised by how open he was a few times. Game plan or not, I don't think you expect to be that open that many times in the AFCCG. Who does that? Oh wait, the Steelers do EVERY TIME THEY PLAY THE PATRIOTS.

Also, Brady was zipping those passes as if he was throwing into right coverage. That arm liked super strong. Let's just hope we don't see that in the perfect conditions in HOU a week from today.

The thing you worry about is if he gets blasted by a defender while juggling, there's a far greater chance it becomes a non-completion. Hopefully, it was the wet conditions. I think he was wearing gloves, probably the tacky variety too. We heard that BB had D. Lewis carry a ball around all week after his fumble game and guys were supposed to try to punch the ball out. Wonder if they did anything with Hogan. Doubt it because no harm no foul.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back