PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower status

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Mac starts and lives up to the hype the division is in play THIS season. Wouldnt put any money on a Super Bowl run though, especially with the only one bye now.
I wanna be very, very, very careful about not putting weight on Mac too soon. I've been calling for him to get a year to mostly hold the clipboard. That's been an important component of readying a player to achieve his peak for a very long time now, up to and including Thomas Edward Patrick Brady.

I would happily sacrifice making the playoffs this year in order to really prime JJones to be what he's supposed to be for the next 4-5 years and beyond.

what makes the posts of our resident "realist" so ludicrous is assuming multiple years of failure when that's not what this franchise has given us. We got a perfect storm of crap thrown at us for one year when Brady left, CoVID hit and the replacement we could find was damaged goods. And at that we still only went 7-9, and that's our worst season in 18 years. Taking that and saying we're going to suck longterm, especially just after we had one of the greatest offseasons we've ever had on paper, isn't realistic, it's a hot take worthy of ESPN, and about as idiotic as many of their positions

The fact that you claim to deal in reality what is the FANTASY here. You've shown nothing to support that claim. Just look at your post. You're the one claiming the Pats won't make it to the play-offs anytime soon. That's NOT reality. That's pure speculation on your part that has ZERO basis in reality. It ignores EVERYTHING the Patriots have done this off-season. It ignores the past 20 years of Patriots REALITY. So, you'll forgive EVERYONE for laughing at your ridiculous post and thinking that you're nothing but a negative nancy with no clue as to what you are talking about.

Not surprised that someone as Arrogant as yourself would insist on staying and spewing BS.

Wow.

I wanna be very, very, very careful about not putting weight on Mac too soon. I've been calling for him to get a year to mostly hold the clipboard. That's been an important component of readying a player to achieve his peak for a very long time now, up to and including Thomas Edward Patrick Brady.
Brady wasn't ready to start as a 6th round rookie, and the league was different back then. Plus Bledsoe was their #1 pick.

Jones is a first-rounder, the league has changed, and—on paper—NE has one of the best OLs in the league and a strong group of RBs. I'd argue that, in terms of ideal situations for a rookie to start, that's about as good as you can ask for. Plus he only has to beat out 2021 Cam.

That said, the only thing I'm absolutely certain of is that, barring injury, Big Mac won't make his first start against Tampa Bay.

Brady wasn't ready to start as a 6th round rookie, and the league was different back then. Plus Bledsoe was their #1 pick.

Jones is a first-rounder, the league has changed, and—on paper—NE has one of the best OLs in the league and a strong group of RBs. I'd argue that, in terms of ideal situations for a rookie to start, that's about as good as you can ask for. Plus he only has to beat out 2021 Cam.

That said, the only thing I'm absolutely certain of is that, barring injury, Big Mac won't make his first start against Tampa Bay.
All of these things will be true next year as well. And next year Mac will have had a year to practice at NFL speeds.

Where are these rumors of Hightower's retirement coming from? I have not heard or read word one of this until now.

Where are these rumors of Hightower's retirement coming from? I have not heard or read word one of this until now.
There are two branches here. On one hand, there’s the typical questions about any highly accomplished 31-year-old with injury concerns at a punishing position who just took a year off and is due $10 million.

Then there’s the specific report from “Spike King,” who said in November that Hightower and Cannon would be retiring. Cannon is obviously not retiring, and Hightower obviously did not decide last November that he would be retiring (or something would have happened by now).

There are two branches here. On one hand, there’s the typical questions about any highly accomplished 31-year-old with injury concerns at a punishing position who just took a year off and is due $10 million.

Then there’s the specific report from “Spike King,” who said in November that Hightower and Cannon would be retiring. Cannon is obviously not retiring, and Hightower obviously did not decide last November that he would be retiring (or something would have happened by now).

BB drafted McGrone and talked about him appearing in 2022. I assume that Hightower will be around for 2021, and BB is not convinced with Bentley or Hall in the long-term (in 2021 or 2022).

"Spike King" better tell Mayo that Hightower decided to retire in November, because he clearly hasn't gotten the message.

"Spike King" better tell Mayo that Hightower decided to retire in November, because he clearly hasn't gotten the message.

I'm hopeful, and if I had to bet money I'd put it on Hightower playing this year. But Mayo knows as well as anyone that until you're back in TC and facing the daily grind, you just don't know how you're going to hold up. Bruschi retired after training camp, as did Mayo if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully Donta is good to go, but I'm glad they added Van Noy and Judon so there's some veteran talent in case he hits the wall in July.

Hightower is blessed with an optimal NFL body, and he's smart. He always gave about 90%. I expect him to retire. He's no Edelman, prepared to push on until she just won't go no more.

Genuine question. Hightower’s our mike right?

if so, LB IS #1 priority given macs good, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back