PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hawk or Gino?? - Gino or Hawk??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yess, thats it! Very nice wallpaper by the way.

I'm still pondering this question. Once I start pondering, it's hard to stop.

Should Wilson even be in the nickel package? Is it obvious that right now he's better than any of Harrison, Hawkins, Hobbs, Samuel, or Scott on a passing down?

Oh, what was I saying? This is a secondary in which Troy Brown gets reps. Among healthy DBs, there's hardly an either/or on the Pats. Play them all.

shirtsleeve said:
Good post. You are getting to the core of the problem here. Some of our DB's dont wrap up well. That human torpedo move used to work with the smurf WR's. But with the bigger WR's in the league now, they just bounce off. This is a fundamentals issue and is correctable with coaching. But it needs to be done.

I second that emotion.

Since both Hawkins and Wilson have body types more suited for CB, I've wondered how Chad Scott would fare at FS. He's a little taller/heavier than both Hawk & Geno and, save for the Cotchery Catch, he seems to have not lost many tackles. He's also a little older, so maybe playing FS would save some of the tread on his tires.
A CB quartet of Wilson & Samuel, Hawkins & Hobbs, works for me.
Damn that Ty Law, though. Didn't he know that a Herm Edwards-led Chiefs would be watching the playoffs on TV, even before the Trent Green injury?
Another piece to the puzzle would be to release one of Spann/Andrews/Iwuoma, and sign a professional DB, either CB, FS or even SS (to give Rodney a breather).

This thread is a good example of how formative patsfans can be.

For a couple years already
we've been yakkin' at intervals
about whether Wilson should play corner or safety.

Hawkins establishing himself
makes the right answer much clearer than ever before.

Now, when Ernie Adams phones to ask me what to do,
i know what to tell him.
And i'll link this thread.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yessir. The very tackle you speak of is sitting right on my desktop right now. :)
patsfanswallweek4smallcg8.jpg

Great collage!

But isn't it time to color-code the result of Game Five?

Franchise12 said:
during the begals game two weeks ago there was a play where rudy johnson got past our d line and linebackers and the last line of defense was artrell hawkins. Artrell made the fundamental tackle, a very textbook tackle. During that play I had to wonder what the result of that play would have been if eugene was that last line of defense. the answer: TOUCHDOWN: Rudy Johnson. I wound put a little focus on converting eugene back to cb especially with asante probally not coming back.

Wilson made two nice open field tackles in the Denver game, one of which was on Tatum Bell where Wilson was without a doubt the only guy between Bell and the EZ.

He had a bad game against the Jets and was invisible for much of last year, but his tackling issues are a little overblown.

Last edited:
Franchise12 said:
during the begals game two weeks ago there was a play where rudy johnson got past our d line and linebackers and the last line of defense was artrell hawkins. Artrell made the fundamental tackle, a very textbook tackle. During that play I had to wonder what the result of that play would have been if eugene was that last line of defense. the answer: TOUCHDOWN: Rudy Johnson. I wound put a little focus on converting eugene back to cb especially with asante probally not coming back.

Actually, Wilson had two (probably touchdown preventing) tackles on Tatum Bell in the Denver game. And they were tough tackles to make, too. So saying that Johnson would have gone for a TD had Wilson been in is mere baseless conjecture.

Oswlek said:
He had a bad game against the Jets and was invisible for much of last year, but his tackling issues are a little overblown.

No doubt. He's not nearly the liability as some here claim.

Last edited:
Hawk is a former CB who and was released by Cincy. He may have been given a new life at safety since being brought in by BB.

Wilson was drafted as a CB and was forced into the safety role when Milloy was cut and what's his name didn't do the job. Being next to Rodney, Gino has done a really good job at safety. Last year he didn't have Rodney and,according to Tim Fox, was playing with an injured shoulder.

It may be time to move Gino back to his more natural position of CB. If Samuels is going to play hardball on contract extensions, then having Hawk at safety and working Gino back into CB may be the best solution.

Geno's been a piece of crap lately...

drew4008 said:
Geno has been a piece of crap lately.
Why? I don't know.
What to do? I dont know.
But I trust BB to make the right call.

wow.
what leads you to call him a piece of crap?
third-year players don't usually disappear. but i haven't heard his name on the broadcasts since game 1.
piece-a-crap?
i recall several opponent's completions on deep post patterns.
those are FS patrol areas. but other players also play FS.
is geno hurt, and playing thru it?

rodney forces the run, he's the 8th man in the box.
geno is the middle-field cover guy,with or without help based, on god knows what in BB's defense.
he's quick, pretty fast, willing to deliver borderline hits on WRs crossing the field.
what IS the deal? i dang sure don't know. are you sure it's that simple? has his IQ really dropped 10 points in the last 14 months? is he actually unable to perform what he's supposed to do?

Last edited:
Re: Geno's been a piece of crap lately...

ilduce06410 said:
wow.
what leads you to call him a piece of crap?
third-year players don't usually disappear. but i haven't heard his name on the broadcasts since game 1.
piece-a-crap?
i recall several opponent's completions on deep post patterns.
those are FS patrol areas. but other players also play FS.
is geno hurt, and playing thru it?

rodney forces the run, he's the 8th man in the box.
geno is the middle-field cover guy,with or without help based, on god knows what in BB's defense.
he's quick, pretty fast, willing to deliver borderline hits on WRs crossing the field.
what IS the deal? i dang sure don't know. are you sure it's that simple? has his IQ really dropped 10 points in the last 14 months? is he actually unable to perform what he's supposed to do?
Not to mention BB had Rodney playing Geno's deep cover role, while Geno was up in coverage and run support. I frankly don't see how anyone with a passing knowledge of the game should call Geno crap or even say he had bad games.

PATSNUTme: despite starting a third or fourth thread on the topic, the answer remains the same, Geno resumes FS duties when he is healthy. Hobbs may be used for nickel and situational work until his cast is off and the Trainers report him 90% or better. Hawkins and Scott will serve as primary subs and situational players. The only change from the start of the season is Rodney's improved health/mobility and Blue going on IR.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Not to mention BB had Rodney playing Geno's deep cover role, while Geno was up in coverage and run support. I frankly don't see how anyone with a passing knowledge of the game should call Geno crap or even say he had bad games.

PATSNUTme: despite starting a third or fourth thread on the topic, the answer remains the same, Geno resumes FS duties when he is healthy. Hobbs may be used for nickel and situational work until his cast is off and the Trainers report him 90% or better. Hawkins and Scott will serve as primary subs and situational players. The only change from the start of the season is Rodney's improved health/mobility and Blue going on IR.

My friend Box, if I may call you that.

I have not noticed any other threads on this subject recently. Although, I am still excited about fate leading me to the lost Patriots golf ball while I was draining the monster.

I am not advocating sitting Gino and starting Hawk. I am just pondering the situation. Pondering, as you know, is a process that takes some time vs a knee jerk solution to a complex situation.

Either way it works out, I will be happy because that's the type of guy I am.

PATSNUTme said:
My friend Box, if I may call you that.

I have not noticed any other threads on this subject recently. Although, I am still excited about fate leading me to the lost Patriots golf ball while I was draining the monster.

I am not advocating sitting Gino and starting Hawk. I am just pondering the situation. Pondering, as you know, is a process that takes some time vs a knee jerk solution to a complex situation.

Either way it works out, I will be happy because that's the type of guy I am.
My dear friend, I should apologize, certainly it was possible for you to miss the other threads given the recent level of posting tomfoolery cluttering up the forum. I've also suspected, and perhaps I was being to delicate not to raise the point before, but are you sure the Flying Elvi didn't arrive there after ricocheting off your skull? I know how the dizzy feeling of a concussion could be mistaken for the feeling of intense relief that follows from a relaxed bladder. Perhaps if Mrs. PATSNUTyou were to examine your skull and compare the lumps to previous encounters with the rolling pin? I ask only because I care, but I'm sure if you go to her with this question she will resolve things, maybe even find you a comfortably padded room to admire your new trophy. As for pondering, I thought he played for the Giants?

Box_O_Rocks said:
My dear friend, I should apologize, certainly it was possible for you to miss the other threads given the recent level of posting tomfoolery cluttering up the forum. I've also suspected, and perhaps I was being to delicate not to raise the point before, but are you sure the Flying Elvi didn't arrive there after ricocheting off your skull? I know how the dizzy feeling of a concussion could be mistaken for the feeling of intense relief that follows from a relaxed bladder. Perhaps if Mrs. PATSNUTyou were to examine your skull and compare the lumps to previous encounters with the rolling pin? I ask only because I care, but I'm sure if you go to her with this question she will resolve things, maybe even find you a comfortably padded room to admire your new trophy. As for pondering, I thought he played for the Giants?

I'll ponder that for a while.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore