PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy Birthday, The One And Only, Russ Francis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actual Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Russell Ross Francis (born April 3, 1953), drafted by the New England Patriots in the 1st round (16th pick) of the 1975 NFL Draft, despite sitting out his senior season at Oregon. He grew up in Hawaii. At 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m), 242 lb (110 kg), Russ was the first Patriot tight end with three career receptions on fourth down plays. Francis is the only Patriot player with three receptions from a pass thrown by a wide receiver, and was a three-time Pro Bowl selection from 1977 to 1979. Yes, he's not in the Pats' HOF because its system relies on local media and online (fairweather) fan voting.

He set the national high school record for the javelin as a senior at Pleasant Hill High School, southeast of Eugene, in 1971 at 259 feet, 9 inches; the record stood until 1988. Francis qualified for The Superstars final and the World Superstars in 1980 and 1981, finishing second in the 1980 final and fourth in 1981. He won the football preliminary in 1981 and set a record of 23.91 seconds in the 50 yard swimming event. The record stood until 1986 when it was broken by Greg Louganis.
Francis appeared in a 20-man battle royal at WrestleMania 2 along with other NFL stars...Eat your heart out, Gronk. The son of wrestling promoter Ed Francis, he briefly competed full-time in the American Wrestling Association after retiring from football. He also competed in the National Wrestling Alliance's NWA Hawaii where he held the NWA Hawaii Tag Team Championship one time with his older brother, Billy Roy Francis.

Following the 1980 season, Francis retired from professional football. Two things that Francis has said contributed greatly to this decision were, one, when the Patriots refused to give him his promised bonus for making the Pro Bowl (because his injury from a motorcycle accident kept him out of the game); and, secondly, when his roommate, Darryl Stingley, was paralyzed by a Jack Tatum hit, the Patriots tried to cancel Stingley's medical insurance. Francis was the first Patriot player at Stingley's side immediately after the hit. Francis has said it was tough to play after that.
He was traded to the San Francisco 49ers for a draft pick that the Patriots used to select future Hall of Fame linebacker Andre Tippett.

No, I don't think his circling around the stadium in a helicopter one day at practice will ever be topped.

Last time I spoke with Steve Grogan, he said Russ now lives in Wyoming. No word on how many "Whuffo"s are there ("Whuffo you jump out of parachutes?")

("Um, we don't jump out of parachutes. That would be really dumb.")

On a side note, has it occurred to anybody how really psyched all the players, including Brady, Edelman, Hightower and the rest will be, if we wear throwbacks all season in 2017? Not to mention everyone else.

upload_2017-4-3_5-55-30.jpegupload_2017-4-3_5-55-42.jpegupload_2017-4-3_5-55-57.jpegupload_2017-4-3_5-56-7.jpegupload_2017-4-3_5-56-32.jpegupload_2017-4-3_5-56-48.jpegupload_2017-4-3_5-57-17.jpeg

On Monday Night Football, Howard Cosell repeatedly called Russ Francis the "All-World" Tight End. Dude was unbelievable... blocking, great catches, ran away from defenders, ran THROUGH defenders.

If the Pats threw the ball more back then, he would have the stats to be in the Hall of Fame discussion.

IMHO he was Gronk 1.0.

A bit self serving, but so what. From five years ago:

Russ Francis - All World Tight End (forum thread)

A surprise visitor in the comment section at the end of the column:

Russ Francis – All World Tight End

Russ Francis said:
Your comments from last year, on my birthday, were sent to me by a friend. I wanted to thank you both, John and Emerson, for your kind and funny thoughts and comments.

It was a very special time in my life. While I had the time of my life both in New England and San Francisco, I started and ended in New England with the Patriots and those memories are etched in the bedrock of my soul as some of the most joyous and spectacular days and Monday nights of my life.

Thank you both. And John, thank you for being the Paul Revere of Pats fans by keeping the past and present stories alive online so we can all enjoy and benefit from your good work. Aloha nui loa to you both, #81

On Monday Night Football, Howard Cosell repeatedly called Russ Francis the "All-World" Tight End. Dude was unbelievable... blocking, great catches, ran away from defenders, ran THROUGH defenders.

If the Pats threw the ball more back then, he would have the stats to be in the Hall of Fame discussion.

IMHO he was Gronk 1.0.
You wanna make your head spin, imagine Brady throwing to Francis, or Morgan.o_O

Pats have had 3 great tes.
1. Gronk
2. Francis
3. Coates
I've seen the entire careers of all 3, that's how I'd rank em. Russ was a great player,one of the all-time great tes in the NFL.

Pats have had 3 great tes.
1. Gronk
2. Francis
3. Coates
I've seen the entire careers of all 3, that's how I'd rank em. Russ was a great player,one of the all-time great tes in the NFL.
Pats have had other good TE's, not as prolific receiving but dependable blocking and clutch, like Dawson, Wiggins, Graham, Vrabel and...Hoomanawanui (Russ knows how to pronounce it)

Pats have had other good TE's, not as prolific receiving but dependable blocking and clutch, like Dawson, Wiggins, Graham, Vrabel and...Hoomanawanui (Russ knows how to pronounce it)

Derrick Ramsey and Marv Cook had one great year each but neither one could block for ****.

i have a Russ Francis red throwback jersey #81 ;)

dressed twice when i was last time to see Pats @ Foxboro :)

Last edited:
Got a picture of me with him somewhere stashed away from when I was a little kid and we went to Pats training camp.

He was my favorite Patriot at that time due to the fact we shared the same first name.

Russ Francis, a nice memory from the days we did not know all that much about the personal lives of NFL players.. suspect he was a ladies man, but never really cared... social media and winning has made these guys bigger than life.

Howard Cosell loved this "all world TE"....

i have a Russ Francis red throwback jersey #81 ;)

dressed twice when i was last time to see Pats @ Foxboro :)
I was a big fan of Francis back in the 70s, great player. Him and Dave Casper went back and forth as the best TEs for a time before Kellen Winslow came around. I also have a Francis throwback jersey, 1976 version. Love that jersey !

IMHO he was Gronk 1.0.

Including the wrestling guest appearance. (I didn't know this but ran into it when reading about him on the web)

upload_2017-4-6_7-42-28.png

Couple of other cool things I ran into.

upload_2017-4-6_8-1-32.png

upload_2017-4-6_8-2-44.png

Russ Francis, a nice memory from the days we did not know all that much about the personal lives of NFL players.. suspect he was a ladies man, but never really cared... social media and winning has made these guys bigger than life.

Howard Cosell loved this "all world TE"....
Trust me. Russ is bigger than life. Just like John Facenda says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News