PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy Birthday, Irving Fryar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actual Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
(Yesterday, 9/28) Irving was selected with the first overall pick of the 1984 NFL Draft, becoming the second wide receiver to be taken number one overall. He came here and did his job. The media lambasted him after his pregnant wife stabbed him before the '86 AFCCG. I suppose they would have done the same to Russell before the 7th game against the Lakers if they knew the story about inoculations prior to a trip to Africa was made up; that in fact he'd been stabbed in the arm by his jealous mistress. Oh well. We won the game despite Roland James' struggles with punt returns; and he caught a touchdown in the Super Bowl.

Oh, and of course Russ played like a lion winning another Celtics title (in excruciating pain).

Caught touchdown passes from 19 different quarterbacks, an NFL-record. Here they are:
QBTDs
Dan Marino15
Steve Grogan14
Ty Detmer11
Tony Eason10
Hugh Millen6
Rodney Peete4
Jeff George3
Doug Flutie3
Brad Johnson3
Tom Hodson2
Scott Mitchell2
Marc Wilson2
Koy Detmer2
Bobby Hoying2
Tom Ramsey1
Steve DeBerg1
Mark Rypien1
Keith Byars1
Terry Kirby1

Perhaps it is just me, but I don't have particularly fond memories of Fryar.

Didn't live up to draft expectations; off field issues; then went to a division rival and performed better than he did in Foxborough.

Didn't live up to draft expectations; off field issues; then went to a division rival and performed better than he did in Foxborough.
I remember more clutch catches he made here than I can count. At Seattle in '85, at Anaheim in '86, many more.

Not his fault he was let go; see above

He was an alcoholic. Got sober and made a career. Something Gordon hasn’t been able to do. He was one of my favorite Pats players for a long time only to be replaced by another number 80

guess who that is?

I remember more clutch catches he made here than I can count. At Seattle in '85, at Anaheim in '86, many more.

Not his fault he was let go; see above
Officially, he was traded...Damn shame he couldn't have stuck around for the '96 SB run, or perhaps even beyond...Who knows, maybe he doesn't get into as much trouble later in life than that into which he wound up getting, anyway...

guess who that is?

right on man... Larry Linne killed it in '87 ... 158 yards, 2 td ... in only 3 games!

ErhMHCK.jpg

edit: oh yeah Fryar was ok... hard to believe he caught more td's from Marino than he did Grogs... yeesh

Oooooooops!!! I goofed.

"The Patriots were more or less forced into making the Fryar trade. He was to become a free agent at the end of the 1993 season and had made it known he did not want to return to New England. If he had been allowed to leave, the Patriots would not have received compensation."

Well, he did get to catch passes from Dan Marino. What is it about Florida?

Happy Bday Irving be careful cutting that cake! You old timers should get this one.

How do you get into a knife fight with your wife on the eve of the AFCCG? Lots of lost potential there.

Fryar ended up only serving 8 months on a 5 year jail sentence for mortgage fraud. Any body know if he's living under a highway bridge now?

One of my favorite players from back in the day. He was special. Sad that he finished his career in Miami. I wish the current team had a true #1 WR like Fryar. None of us are perfect. We all have demons and issues to overcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down