PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hail Mary’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinhWoodhead

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
When was last time the Pats had a successful hail mary? Maybe instead of using Gronk again, use some of the cb’s instead?

It's like an onside kick: It's low percentage for everyone, which is why you only do it when there's no other choice.

Also, why would a CB be better than a 6'6 behemoth with hands the size of dinner platters?

Low percentage for everyone but Aaron Rodgers, who's some kind of absurd miracle worker.

The Cooks touchdown in the Texans game and the Thompkins touchdown against the Saints a few years ago are the closest examples I can remember, but those came from 30 yards out and not 50. I also can't recall any Hail Marys working against the Patriots either.

According to Pro Football Reference, based on past experience at that down and distance, the Patriots' probability of winning on the final play of the game was 2.6% - but that required a 2pt conversion and victory in overtime, too. For reference, Minnesota's probability of winning on the last play of their game against the Saints was 10.8%. For the Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2010, it was 19.3%.

Last edited:
I also can't recall any Hail Marys working against the Patriots either. Average success rate on a Hail Mary from midfield in the NFL is probably about one per season, or ~2.5%.

Oddly enough in 1996 Jacksonville completed two Hail Mary's against the Pats IN THE SAME GAME!

One before half time for a TD and one at the end of regulation of a tie game that was a caught AT THE ONE YARD LINE! He was ruled short and the Pats won in OT. If replay existed there was a chance it would get ruled a TD.

The last time I recall the Pats having any kind of success on a Hail Mary was in 1998 when a Hail Mary drew a PI call against Buffalo that led to a Ben Coates TD with 0:00 on the clock. (I'll admit, it was a generous call. Glenn actually should have caught it anyway)

Oddly enough in 1996 Jacksonville completed two Hail Mary's against the Pats IN THE SAME GAME!

One before half time for a TD and one at the end of regulation of a tie game that was a caught AT THE ONE YARD LINE! He was ruled short and the Pats won in OT. If replay existed there was a chance it would get ruled a TD.

I remember that game. Yeah, nothing in the Brady era.

This wouldn't be classified as a Hail Mary due to a circumstances, but Brady connected with Moss in 2007 in Miami on ball that seemed like a Hail Mary type play.

This wouldn't be classified as a Hail Mary due to a circumstances, but Brady connected with Moss in 2007 in Miami on ball that seemed like a Hail Mary type play.

It's not defended like a Hail Mary, though. Moss beat his guy off the line and Brady hit him on a long ball. That wouldn't have happened in a Hail Mary situation, where the defense is willing to give up the entire field to prevent the touchdown.

Four of those if you’ve been thinking unclean thoughts about the neighbor’s wife.
Now you're pushing delay of game ... might have to burn a time out.

Only true Hail Mary I recall the Pats pulling off was the '86 Rams game in Anaheim. Jim Everett's first NFL game.

Regards,
Chris

I'd like to know last time Pats D jumped a route for Pick Six besides Ty Law in SB36.

I'd like to know last time Pats D jumped a route for Pick Six besides Ty Law in SB36.

Asante Samuel in 2006/07 AFCCG.

Could be one more recent, but that one jumps immediately to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back