PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guess who has the easiest schedule again???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so useless. If this time last year, you had the Panthers, Cincy, Arizona, and Denver (ignore the fact it is impossible to have all these teams on your schedule), you were likely to have one of the toughest schedules in the League according to SOS. In reality, these were average to below average teams in 2016.

But if you had Atlanta and Oakland on your schedule, you might have had a relatively easy schedule based on SOS.

The cumulative win totals for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams in the post above are for all 2016 games. I used that rather than out-of-division games simply because it was a lot easier and less time consuming to come up with those numbers.

A few years back I had each division's won-loss record (total and out of division) as well as ranking on both a yearly and cumulative basis, going back to when the NFL realigned to four divisions in both conferences. The only real down year for the AFC East was 2007.

I'll see if I can find it, and if so update it - though that may be a lost cause at this point, it has been a while. If I recall correctly the AFC East and NFC East were the top two, swapping the top place depending on which year the totals were through.

Not sure where you get your data from, but if there is an Excel file that has all of this and is easy to parse, I could write a program that can answer pretty specific questions like this. Would be good ammo against these old arguments.

Researchers strongly caution however that the chances a universe can be found, where the Jets are any better than now is probably quite remote.

While quantum theorists who adhere to the many worlds interpretation declare without raising an eyebrow that every possible arrangement of our own universe exists superpositioned on our own experience, when confronted with the New York Jets and the concept of success, every such expert interviewed heavily emphasized the word "possible."

While quantum theorists who adhere to the many worlds interpretation declare without raising an eyebrow that every possible arrangement of our own universe exists superpositioned on our own experience, when confronted with the New York Jets and the concept of success, every such expert interviewed heavily emphasized the word "possible."
If they include the Patriots concept of success in the equation then I don't think they'd be emphasizing the word " possible"nearly as heavily.

Decided to see how "weak" the afce division really was. I figured a quick test would be to look at outside the conference games over 4 yrs. So teams could play every other conf once. Remove the best team from each division and see how string the rest of the teams fared. Results are below.

4yrs non-conference w-l records by 2,3,4 best teams by record. 16gms (4 per yr) x 3 teams:

nfcw 48%
nfcs 37%
nfcn 46%
nfce 53%

afcw 46%
afcs 27%
afcn 46%
afce 50%

--------------------

AFC East, 2nd strongest division by this measure.

nfce 53%
afce 50%
nfcw 48%
nfcn 46%
afcn 46%
afcw 46%
nfcs 37%
afcs 27%

Football Outsiders: Patriots have easiest schedule in 2017

mod edit: FYI, link above is to an ESPN article, not to Football Outsiders.

Might as well get the excuses going early for the rest of the league when we're on our way to another #1 seed and Super Bowl appearance.

Cue up another 15+ weeks of "they haven't played anyone" ******** from the rest of the league, and half our own fan base...

That BS I just looked at the schedule briefly and they could have a pretty tough schedule. I picked out 5 games that could be tough not counting any division games.

Click Bait article. We have no idea how the schedule plays out. The NFC south could be a very tough division to play. The Panthers, Falcons, Saints and maybe the Bucks could all be challenges.

Not sure where you get your data from, but if there is an Excel file that has all of this and is easy to parse, I could write a program that can answer pretty specific questions like this. Would be good ammo against these old arguments.
Unfortunately it wasn't in an Excel file. I'll have some time later this week to find it though.

Cut the Super Bowl to one half.

Have the Patriots offense play the Patriots defense and be done with it.

It's the only fair way. Anybody else we play is a mismatch.

I'm going to guess the Jaguars.

Am I right?

2016 division records:
27-12-1 -- .688 -- NFC East
26-14 --- .650 --- AFC West
24-16 --- .600 --- AFC East
21-19 --- .525 --- NFC South
18-22 --- .450 --- NFC North
17-23 ---- .425 --- AFC South
14-25-1 -- .363 --- AFC North
12-28 --- .300 --- NFC West

Are the Pats' wins subtracted from that stat? Because I'm sure it would be much much lower when taking that into consideration.

Are the Pats' wins subtracted from that stat? Because I'm sure it would be much much lower when taking that into consideration.
The numbers quoted above are for all four teams in each division.

The win totals in the post linked below reflect only each division's 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams.

Either way the AFC East still outperformed the AFC South, AFC North, NFC South, NFC North and NFC West.

Either way the AFC East still outperformed the AFC South, AFC North, NFC South, NFC North and NFC West.

My point is that the AFC East is as high on the list because the Pats are in it. Give them a 9-7 or 10-6 record and see where the AFC East ranks.

My point is that the AFC East is as high on the list because the Pats are in it. Give them a 9-7 or 10-6 record and see where the AFC East ranks.
Look at the second link/post, it removes the Patriots and only compares the three other teams to each other division's comparable teams.

If you remove the Patriots from the equation then you have to remove the other divisions first place teams as well. Otherwise the scales are tilted so heavily the comparison is meaningless.

Look at the second link/post, it removes the Patriots and only compares the three other teams to each other division's comparable teams.

If you remove the Patriots from the equation then you have to remove the other divisions first place teams as well. Otherwise the scales are tilted so heavily the comparison is meaningless.

Okay, let's do that then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents