PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grid's 2011 Opening Day Lineup: Version 1.0!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The Following was Greatly Assisted by the Wise Words + Guidance of The Immortal Brother Mayo

Offense

QuarterBack

1 ~ "Major*" Tom Brady ~ The Finest in ALL The Land!! *Since promoted to "General".
2 ~ Brian Hoyer "The Destroyer" ~ The best ShotGun in all the Land!!
3 ~ "Rocket" Ryan Mallett ~ Top 10 Skills + Time, Patience, and Coaching...

O Center

4 ~ Dan Koppen "With Anger" ~ Bring on Brewster, but, meanwhile, Koppen IS good.

O Guard

5 ~ Logan "Mauling" Mankins ~ Road Grading BEAST.
6 ~ Dan "The Man" Connolly ~ Decent starter, but LOVE him as a Swing Guard.
7 ~ Tom Austin ~ "A Man Barely Alive" ~ Emerging Swing Guard/Center ~ Props to Brother Mayo!!
8 ~ Marcus "Howitzer" Cannon ~ May start on PUP. STAR potential, may start VERY soon!!

O Tackle

9 ~ Sebastian "The Savage" Vollmer ~ Emerging STAR.
10 ~ Matt "Out of Sight" Light ~ Still very good...about to be ECLIPSED.
11 ~ Nate "Universal" Solder ~ Potential 10X All Pro!!
12 ~ "Smashing" Steve Maneri ~ TREMENDOUS potential as an Mauling AND Athletic Swing Tackle!!

Tight End ~ "Y" ~ or Blocking Tight End

13 ~ Will "To Kill" Yeatman ~ Rapidly emerging BEAST as Blocker AND Receiver.
14 ~ Lee "The Closer" Smith ~ A MAULING Lead Blocker.

Wing Back ~ "H" ~ or Hybrid Tight End

15 ~ Rob "The Big Lebowski" Gronkowski ~ Emerging STAR.

Flex End ~ "F" ~ or Receiving Tight End

16 ~ Aaron "The Navigator" Hernandez ~ Emerging STAR.

Power Back

17 ~ Stevan "Ready When You Are" Ridley ~ Power AND Agility. Watch OUT.
18 ~ BenJarvus "The Law Firm" Green ~ Power, anyway: Suddenly our 4th Back!!

Flex Back ~ Between the Tackles AND OutSide

19 ~ Shane "Mean Machine" Vereen ~ The best Back in the ENTIRE DRAFT.

Tail Back ~ "Change O Pace" Back

20 ~ Danny "The Hobbit" WoodHead ~ An absolutely devastating Weapon, STILL vastly underrated.

Split End + Flanker

21 ~ Taylor "The" Price "Is Right, Beyotch" ~ May soon be our best Spit End!!
22 ~ "Dynamic" Deion Branch ~ STILL underrated!!
23 ~ Chad "Ochenta Y Cinco" Johson ~ ComeBack Player of the Year!!
24 ~ "Blazing" Brandon Tate ~ Emerging Player, despite all the hate!!

Slot End

25 ~ "Wild Wild" Wes Welker ~ The Greatest in ALL the Land!! BIG ComeBack coming!!

Defense

Nose Tackle

26 ~ Vince "Big Pappy" Wilfork ~ An unrelenting FORCE!!
27 ~ Kyle "Can You Feel The" Love ~ having 1 NT is like having 1 QB.

Under Tackle ~ Defensive End

28 ~ Mike "You Know That's" Wright ~ An invaluable Weapon, if 100%.
29 ~ "Lord" Myron "Eternal" Pryor ~ an emerging Force.

Defensive Tackle ~ Defensive End

30 ~ Albert HaynesWorth "Every Penny!!" ~ A New Era Has Begun. Many of you have NO...IDEA.
31 ~ "Shattering" Shaun Ellis ~ Just enough left for a year or two of situational Excellence.
32 ~ Kade "The Crusher" Weston ~ WAY Under the Radar. Potential STAR, gentlemen.

HeffaLump ~ "Elephant" to you Earthlings!!

33 ~ Jermaine "Feel the Pain" Cunningham ~ Emerging STUD!!
34 ~ "Ravaging" Rob Ninkovich ~ Emerging STUD.
35 ~ "Mayhem" Mark Anderson ~ Born Again FORCE!!
36 ~ "Attacking" Andre Carter ~ Like Ellis, just enough left for a year or two of Excellence.

And, of course: Cunningham + Ninkovich will play a LOT of Flanker ~ OLB, to you Earthlings!!

MidFielder ~ Middle LineBacker, Earthlings!!

37 ~ Jerod "Don't Hold The" Mayo ~ Emerging STAR, need I say.
38 ~ "Demolishing" Dane Fletcher ~ STILL Under the Radar, but not for much longer!!
39 ~ "Blasting" Brandon Spikes ~ About to emerge as the Brutal BEAST that he is!!
40 ~ "Gashing" Gary Guyton ~ Still love this guy, and think he will surprise a LOT of people!!

Strong Safety

41 ~ "Punishing" Pat Chung ~ Emerging STUD. LOVE this kid.
42 ~ "Savage" Sergio Brown ~ I really like Barrett, but I suspect we PUP the kid.

Free Safety

43 ~ Brandon "Stomper" MeriWeather ~ Of course it's possible that he's traded.
44 ~ James "Colonel" Sanders ~ Invaluable Depth + Leadership.
45 ~ "Wrecking" Ras I Dowling ~ This is just my opinion, but I think he's destined here.

CornerBack

46 ~ Devin "The Island" McCourty ~ Rising STAR!!
47 ~ "Lambasting" Leigh Bodden ~ A BEAST!!
48 ~ Darius "The" Butler "Did It!!" ~ My EXTREMELY unpopular choice for emerging NickelBack!!
49 ~ "Killer" Kyle Arrington ~ A Scrapper and a PlayMaker.
50 ~ Jon "Wild Man" Wihlite ~ If I'm right about Dowling, we need a 5th, and he's a good, solid player.

Special Teams

51 ~ K ~ Stephen "The Ghost" GostKowski ~ GREAT Kicker!!
52 ~ P ~ Zoltan "The Space Emperor...of Space!!" Mesko!! AWESOME Punter!!
53 ~ S ~ Matt "The Dread" Katula ~ Great Find, this guy!!

Notes

1st Hardest Cut ~ Julian Edelman. And that's a pretty arbitrary Cut, at that. I absolutely LOVE this kid, and consider him invaluable to this team, but 53 means 53. The reason I chose him, instead of, say, Price, is because Slot End's Market Share is getting consumed by Flex End and Wing Back. But nobody'll be happier than ME, if he DOES make the team!!

2nd Hardest Cut ~ Eric Moore. But I overloaded this Roster on Defensive Front 7, even as it IS, with 15 guys, there, for 7 positions. LOVE this kid, and would be THRILLED if he's back with us. And, indeed, he very well could be, as I could see Carter getting cut, or any number of guys, especially Wright, going to IR or PUP, on Opening Day.

Nominal PUP ~ Obviously a flexible and dubious means ~ one I highly approve of!! ~ for manipulating our Shadow Roster. Right now, it looks like Brace and Deaderick are prime noteworthy candidates, as well as Faulk, of course. Cannon's a big candidate, but his spot would presumably be filled with debris like OhrnBerger, not by a different position.

Honorable Mention ~ Where do I start?? Honestly, there about 15 other guys who I'd love to keep...

Trade Bait ~ Brian Hoyer is possible, though I wouldn't like that, and don't expect it. Stomper is a possibility, though a small one, I would think. LeVoir might catch a Late Rounder, as might Wilhite, if I'm wrong about Dowling.

I guess it is easier to make roster if one presumes that Belick will choose this year to stop carrying special teams only players.

I just don't think Slater and White will be cut.

Good start Grid. My few opinions...

Would rather keep Edelman than Tate. He at least backs up Welker, whereas Tate has a lot in front of him with Price's emergence.

Wilhite is terrible and Dowling will be at CB.

Do we not play special teams still? Tate takes Won't-hites spot and I have a feeling either Tracy White or the new Greek kid make it over Guyton, mainly thanks to Fletcher's rise.

I thought Levoir played pretty decently and played guard and tackle, although I think it could be him or Manieri and I could see your guy winning that battle.

I guess it's easier to make smart-@$$ comments if one presumes that the other guy didn't consider the alternatives...which I did. :rolleyes:

But I guess, for you, it's easier to make assumptions than to actually ask if I thought about that, huh? ;)

Thoughtfull objections and even defenestrations are VERY welcome.

Thoughtless snide-@$$ remarks, on the other hand, issued by those who don't have the integrity to ask questions before they make assumptions...will either be ignored or laughed at.

By The Way

I'm not the Grammar Police, but don't you think that Coach Belichick ~ who has passionately dedicated himself to providing us with Unprecedented Glory, ere these last 11 years and counting ~ deserves to have his NAME spelled correctly?? :beatingcoming:

I guess it is easier to make roster if one presumes that Belick will choose this year to stop carrying special teams only players.

As usual, Grid, A very entertaining post from you.

I agree with everything except for Edelman being cut. I don't know who goes in his place but I believe him to be a cog in the wheel of this club!

[EDIT]A VERY important cog!

Last edited:
I guess it's easier to make smart-@$$ comments if one presumes that the other guy didn't consider the alternatives...which I did. :rolleyes:

But I guess, for you, it's easier to make assumptions than to actually ask if I thought about that, huh? ;)

Thoughtfull objections and even defenestrations are VERY welcome.

Thoughtless snide-@$$ remarks, on the other hand, issued by those who don't have the integrity to ask questions before they make assumptions...will either be ignored or laughed at.

By The Way

I'm not the Grammar Police, but don't you think that Coach Belichick ~ who has passionately dedicated himself to providing us with Unprecedented Glory, ere these last 11 years and counting ~ deserves to have his NAME spelled correctly?? :beatingcoming:

Bit defensive today OTG?

I will ask where they didn't... what about special teams? who takes Slater's and White's roll?

My changes to your lineup would be:

I think Ornberger would make the reserve C/G spot he seems to be getting these reps in camp.

Edelman over Yeatman as i think Yeatman has a better shot of making P squad. I also think Edelman is too good an athlete... he has performed in games when given the chance (last year vs miami year before vs jets and ravens) and is our best punt returner.

Slater over Wilhite for ST reasons. (However a case could be made that the slight drop of in ST for a better cover CB if Wilhite or butler could do slaters job)

White over Weston for St reasons

That's about all I'd say. I think the depth this year is ridiculous and i agree that Hoyer should be trade bait... looking at some of the QB's week one Hoyer is clearly more composed and in control.

As usual, Grid, A very entertaining post from you.

I agree with everything except for Edelman being cut. I don't know who goes in his place but I believe him to be a cog in the wheel of this club!

[EDIT]A VERY important cog!

Brother Anteros!! :D

"Come To The Dark Side...We Have Cookies!!"

"The People's Republic of Massachusetts!!"

"Beware of Geeks Bearing GIFs!!"

Triple Word Score, Brother!! LOVE it!! :rocker:

Thanks for the kind words, sir. :cool:

Couldn't agree MORE about Edelman.

I PRAY we find a way to keep all 3 young Wide Outs.

And I LOVE Slater...

But this may be the year where our Depth of Talent is so deep and rich that we move beyond "pure" Special Teamers...We shall see. :cool:

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say that my life has become better because of OTG. Seriously. Is there anyone as entertaining, benevolent, and as clearly intelligent as this poster? Keep it coming man. Not only do I agree with a lot of what you say, admire your rapid absorption of info, and remain constantly chuckling at your creativity, but genuinely appreciate your desire to share your mind-gasms with others. Goddamnit, I love me some OTG!!

Well, there's more 'force' on that roster than a Star Wars Prequel! :rocker:

Entertaining as always my fellow Homer-At-Arms!

Thanks to all you fine, good-looking gents for your kindly endorsements!! :D

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say that my life has become better because of OTG. Seriously. Is there anyone as entertaining, benevolent, and as clearly intelligent as this poster? Keep it coming man. Not only do I agree with a lot of what you say, admire your rapid absorption of info, and remain constantly chuckling at your creativity, but genuinely appreciate your desire to share your mind-gasms with others. Goddamnit, I love me some OTG!!

You OVERWHELM me, Brother Jay!!

May the God of Your Choice BLESS you!! :rocker:

Being an unabashedly RABID consumer of your Prose, your praise means a LOT to me, Bro.

I definitely owe you a beer or three. Drop me a line ANY time you're up the New Hampshire Coast. Open Ended Invite. :cool:

HEY!.....get in line....I luv'd him first:nono:

So for ST who you thinking for the Slater and White roll?

Fair Question!!

My answer is: Get the 10 most FEROCIOUS yet disciplined MAD DOGS together ~ add 1 FootMan ~ and let'r RIP!! :D

Granted: Special Teams is a little more involved than that. :p

But we've got a TON of young BLASTERS out there...

It's not like we're trying to replace Brady or Wilfork.

But let's be clear, because you and those other two cats seem to be inferring more than I intended, in my OP: I am not entrenched in my positions, here ~ hence the "Version 1.0" in the HeadLine!!

My "decisions" to hold onto a 4th MidFielder or a 4 HeffaLump or a 4th Tight End, instead of a Special Teams Ace...was a 51/49 thing....BELIEVE me. :cool:

And on top of all this now we have T. J. Houshmandzadeh to think about? Why don't we sign Moss instead? I'm serious about this!

Your names for Price and Ocho had me dying.

HEY!.....get in line....I luv'd him first:nono:

Haha! Taking a spot. I respect the OG's.

Hah!! God LOVE ya, you crazy Dogs!!
jester.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill