PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greatest Plays of the Patriots Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
What are the top-5 or so single biggest plays of the Patriots dynasty? Obviously huge weight must be placed on the biggest games, and I don’t think you could fit a regular season play into a list like this (Mo Lewis aside). This cannot be a series of plays, or a drive of any type. It has to be a single play that was critical to winning a huge game.

We all know the Malcom Butler interception rightfully tops the list, and probably by a wide margin. That’s pretty much not debatable, but feel free to list it just because it’s always good to relive. Here are the ones that come to mind (I excluded any losing games - sorry Gronk about that Denver AFCCG and SB52 when you had many worthy plays - but I included plays from winning games even if they didn’t win the SB later).

Feel free to add more and/or rank your top/favorite plays.
  • Vinatieri’s snow bowl game tying FG vs Raiders, 2001-02 ADCDG
  • Brown punt return TD vs. Steelers, 2001-02 AFCCG at Pittsburgh
  • Law’s pick-6 of Kurt Warner, SB36
  • Vinatieri’s SB winner vs Rams, SB36
  • Law picks Manning (3rd of game), clinches 2003-04 AFCCG. Manning taunted with “cut that meat!” Manning cries to competition committee and ruins offensive/defensive balance of league forever.
  • Brady to Branch for 23 yards to setup game winning FG against Panthers, SB38
  • Bruschi rips ball away from Rhodes in 2004-05 AFCDG vs. Colts (more symbolic)
  • Brady to Branch bomb at Pittsburgh AFCCG, 2004-05
  • Harrison pick-6s rookie Big Ben to blow game open AFCCG 2004-05
  • Harrison picks McNabb in end zone in 1st quarter, destroys McNabb’s confidence, SB39
  • Brown strips McCree after interception in 4th, AFCDG, 2006-07 vs. Chargers
  • Brady drops 49-yard dime to Caldwell to setup game winning FG, AFCDG vs Chargers, 2006-07
  • Moore breaks up Lee Evans go-ahead TD vs Ravens in 2011-12 AFCCG
  • Edelman throws TD pass to Amendola, AFCCG vs Ravens, 2014-15
  • Brady to LaFell TD in comeback win over Ravens in AFCDG, 2014-15
  • Officials re-inflate balls at halftime of 2014-14 AFCCG vs. Colts, giving massive advantage to Patriots after weather naturally deflates balls
  • Brady to Edelman, 3rd and 14, Super Bowl 49 vs. Seahawks
  • Hightower stops Lynch a yard short of goal line
  • *****The Butler Interception*****
  • Hightower strip sacks Ryan in fourth quarter, SB51 vs. Falcons
  • Flowers sacks Ryan, pushes Falcons to brink of field goal range, SB51 vs. Falcons
  • Long draws holding penalty, pushes Falcons out of field goal range, SB51 vs Falcons
  • Brady completes 3rd and 10 pass to Hogan on final series of regulation, SB51
  • Edelman squirrel catches Patriots to inevitability, crushes Falcons souls, SB51
  • Brady completes do-or-die two point conversion to Amendola, SB51
  • Brady throws go ahead TD pass to Amendola vs. Jags, 2017-18 AFCCG
  • Gilmore breaks up Bortles deep pass to clinch game, 2017-18 AFCCG
  • J. McCourty covers 30+ yards to breakup Goff-Cooks TD, SB53 vs. Rams
  • Brady immaculate lob to Gronkowski sets up game winning TD vs. Rams, SB53 vs. Rams
  • Gilmore intercepts Goff to essentially clinch SB53 vs. Rams

I suspect that Belichick disagrees with your requirements for the "greatest plays of the patriot dynasty", but that's fine. You set your definition.
=====
For me, some of the greatest plays were in the regular season. And, one of the greatest was in a game that the patriots lost. Watson tackle of Bailey was simply awesome.

Have to give the nod to Vinny’s game-tying snowbowl kick that sent the game into overtime, but the Butler INT would be a very close second. Both plays were just otherworldly.

• Bruschi rips ball away from Rhodes in 2004-05 AFCDG vs. Colts (more symbolic)
  • Brown strips McCree after interception in 4th, AFCDG, 2006-07 vs. Chargers
I singled out these two since both were way out of the norm plays. Interceptions, key sacks, bad penalties - they happen.

How often do you see a running back, with the ball secured, have it just ripped out? Other than going all Superman over a blocker, this is the quintessential Bruschi play.

Then there is Mr. Patriot himself. That play had to happen, and the reaction time needed was so tight, yet Troy managed to stop his momentum, identify the DB, move to intercept, and hack the ball out. If it had been another player coming across it would have been big, yes, but not as amazing.

Other than what you mentioned...

Billy Cundiff

Harmon pick on Flacco

So many plays from the snow bowl game. The tuck play obv, stuffing the raiders on 3rd and short with just over 2 minutes left, a 4th down conversion in OT, and some i'm probably forgetting. it was very similar to SB51 where there were probably about 5-7 plays that HAD to be made or they lose the game and we made all 5-7 plays.

2003 divisional round vs TEN, the titans have 4th down late in the game and Mcnair throws a bomb, their WR gets both hands on a very catchable ball but drops it. They would've been in our red zone otherwise only down 3.

Any of the Panthers missed 2 pt conversions in sb38 or the 2 pt conversion we made. Otherwise we are possibly fighting for overtime instead of being able to win the game on that last drive.

Brady lob to Gronk on 3rd and 5 to set up 1st and goal late in regulation of the AFCC at KC this year right after the offides call overturned a Brady INT. Any of the 3rd down conversions in that OT.

Ghost made a couple big kicks too - 2006 game winner in SD. the kick at the end of this years super bowl was big too, if he misses the Rams have a very realistic chance to tie.

For the regular season, it has to be the TD vs the Saints. Ryan-face is the whole league trying to deal with Brady.

Playoffs
1) Butler - nuff said
2)Snow Bowl kick - the greatest Patriots’ play till Butler, and the greatest kick in NFL history
3)Edelman’s Catch - the one on the SI cover of the greatest SB comeback ever
4)Edelman to Dola - perfectly executed and absolutely critical
5)Law’s pick-6. The moment the Rams went “Oh, sh*t”.

Kasay booting the ball out of bounds in SB 38. Now to be fair, both defenses were getting shredded. It's very probable Brady still leads a game winning drive at the 20 or what not. But starting at the 40 seemed to be a death kill for Carolina. (Though Branch did make the huge catch at the end).

SB 49: Seahawks are up 24-14. Wilson lobs a pass to Kearse (Yes that Kearse...lol) thats bobbled and dropped on 3rd down. (Though it appeared Butler got one hand on it). A catch there puts Seattle in fg range for sure. After that drop, Seattle's offense went in the tank. This gets forgotten because of the craziness that followed: Edelman's 3rd and 14th catch. Kearse's lucky catch. Butler's pick. Huge brawl.

SB 36: Watch the very first play of the game winning drive. Brady barely avoids getting stripped. Yet he somehow throws a 5 yard pass to Redmond. That could've been an all time disaster.

I will try to think of more. But Law's pick six, Butler's pick, tuck rule, and A.V. fg's are too obvious to put.

1. Snowbowl FG
2. SB 36 FG
3. Butler interception
4. Rodney Harrison pick six
5. HT strip sack

Some that really stick out to me.

Brady to Moss bomb sealing the week 17 victory and a big FU to the entire league making history going 16-0.

I suspect that Belichick disagrees with your requirements for the "greatest plays of the patriot dynasty", but that's fine. You set your definition.
=====
For me, some of the greatest plays were in the regular season. And, one of the greatest was in a game that the patriots lost. Watson tackle of Bailey was simply awesome.

These are greatest impact plays that lead directly to postseason wins, not necessarily the most impressive/challenging plays. It’s fine to put regular season or losses on there. I felt like my post might overload the server if I went further :)

Intentional safety in Denver to improve field position.
Picking to defer in OT against Manning and broncos and taking the wind.
Butt fumble.

I'd add Brandon Mitchell's blocked FG 2001 AFCCG. Took the sails out of that stadium.

Gronk’s flop vs MIA last season.

The Butler pick is probably the single greatest play in NFL history, never mind just Patriots history.

Watson pasting Champ Bailey and ruining his pick-6 bid...

...though it should have been a touchback

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye